New Recording - Please review mix

Mark, mix sounds good.

Just an FYI, it would be good if you would contribute a bit more in the MP3 clinic. Helping others is what makes this thread work.

Too much reverb/room on the snare for my taste (but that's just me). When the BG vocals come in with single words, I think they're a little loud, maybe some compression on them would let them set back a little.
Lead vocal sounds like Joe Walsh without the drugs - good job!
The ping-ponging guitar during the chorus is a little distracting, maybe pan them in just a little?

Thanks for the listen. I will contribute more to the thread as far as critiques. I do listen but most times what i say would be redundant yet i get your point about acknowledging the efforts and providing some input.

I figured as much on the bacground single words.
I actually played those ping ponged chords to create the effect. I will try panning them a bit closer and see how they sound.

The guitars are creating a strange pressure on my ears in the verse. It might be too much body or low end. It also reminds me of that weird phase switch function that some desks have that make a song sound like it's eating your brain. It's unpleasent to listen to.

Your voice is cool as usual. I like the harmonies!

Yes, the verse feels too throbby for my taste (is that a word...?). I wonder if the whole thing is just over-compressed or limited. But the song is neat... very nostalgic. Nice vocals.

I agree with Schwarz... There's some weird frequency in the overall mix.
Also feel some over comping as Jm67 mentioned.
The song is cool though.

I think the throbbyness could be less prominent if the bass was more prominent... Bass is way to low frequency wise and seems lifeless. Other than that, not bad - good song.

Spin, see if you can edit your first post and put the new version there. I almost left the thread when it told me the track is not available. Luckily, I saw the up-dated mix a few posts later.

The song itself is good and you have a perfect voice for this. Like others have said, there is something about the mix that makes everything sound....I don't know...distant?....Not sure what the right word is. It's making my brain do the same thing it does when I hook my speakers up with one of them out of phase, something is weird. One thing I do hear for sure is way too much compression and/or limiting on the drums, or maybe the whole mix, because those cymbal crashes are distorting like a mofo.

Good, catchy hook in the chorus and generally a good song all around.

Back