New Project Original

kjam22

I've been recording a young man (student). He's recently learned to play the acoustic guitar. Writing songs etc. Part of my recording deal with him is that I'll play other instruments behind him.

So here is an original. He performed the vocals and acoustic guitar tracks on.

The mixing editing stuff was pretty much under his direction too. Like vocal levels etc.

Anyway.... I'd be interested what you guys think of the thing. It's a contemporary christian song. (but you gotta listen close to understand enough of the words to figure that out) :)

Song is called "I Suppose"

Here's the link .... http://www.nowhereradio.com/artists/album.php?aid=2124&alid=-1

Pretty good. The performances could be a little tighter and the dynamics are a bit inconsistent on the drums. I wouldn't mind hearing the vocals cut through a bit more.

Yeah, I agree. I can turn the acoustic guitars off and it's a LOT tighter. And those tracks were done after everything else.

I don't have any compression on the drums. That might help them?

The vocals are where the guy wanted them, but I agree with you.

Good melodic background.

Ditto on the vocals they need to be brought out to the point where you can distinguish the lyrics.

As far as compression on the drums. Don't do it unless they need it after you bring the vocals up otherwise they could get in the way. (I've fallen for that problem lately when I mixed somthing using headphones. What a mess!)

Anyway, encourage the young man who wrote this. He is obviously talented.

Just my humble opinion.

Thanks guys. I bumped his vocal up a couple of db and replaced his acoustics with a couple of mine.... until the quiet end part. Didn't compress anything yet. Just for fun, because I think he'll want the other one.

I agree..... he's a pretty talented young man.... especially when you consider he has just started playing music in the last 6 months or so.

Back