new presonus pre/strip

MrGrooves

anybody checked presonus.com lately. They are coming out with a new pre/channel strip called eureka. MSRP around $500. It has all the same gadgets from the new breed (variable impedance, tube saturation, blah whatever), plus EQ, compression, and its transformer coupled....
could be an fancy alternative to the RNP..??

I ask them about it at Summer NAMM. Best I can remember, it’s basically just a re-packaged version of the old strip, whatever it’s model # was.

Well golly... if it sounds as good as their other stuff it's gonna be another "must avoid at all costs" in my world... YMMV

This is a tangent, but......

Fletcher, you have deep experience and, I'll bet, incredible ears, as well as the opportunity to play with virtually anything in the world.

So your standards are MUCH higher than many people here. That said, is there any BUDGET gear (i.e., mics, pres, channel strips for LESS THAN $600 or so) that you actually like? Or can at least tolerate?

Fab

Fab4ever said:

So your standards are MUCH higher than many people here. That said, is there any BUDGET gear (i.e., mics, pres, channel strips for LESS THAN $600 or so) that you actually like? Or can at least tolerate?

Fab
I'd assume whatever he sells on his site he endorses, so the FMR stuff looks all good in his book.

Wide Awake said:
My mileage does in fact vary. Now go sell some more snakeoil. :)

Yep... I'm an asshole.

Tell ya what, why don't we make a date to revisit this conversation in 5 or 10 years... whaddaya say?

Fletcher,

I really was hoping you would answer. I didn't ask to be a jerk - I'm genuinely curious.

Fab

FWIW, I think a Symetrix SX202 sounds better as a pre on vocals than a Presonus MP20 or VXP, relatively speaking, for less than
half the price (used).
And many other pro's, besides Fletcher, rate the RNP much higher than the current Presonus line. So he "could" be right. :D

Chris

Fuck.

Under $600-?

I dunno... probably an RNP into an RNC... if you could rob an additional liquor store or two a Speck 5.0 pre with an RNC in the insert [just a smidge over a grand] would be pretty fuckin' cool...

Just about everything I've ever heard tracked with the Speck sounded pretty fuckin' unspectacular. I guess mileage really does vary.

Back