New Poster! Making an album with Propellerhead's Drum Takes

mountainmike

Hi there,
my name's mike and I've come back home for the summer and I don't have any band mates! So I went ahead and bought a bunch of Propellerhead's Record Drum Takes.
If anyone who's reading this doesn't know about them here they are. They're basically live drum takes of full songs that you can then chop up and move around to fit your music. At the very base, its a cheap way to get real drums on your record. With the music I've been making I've been testing to see how far they can go, how much I can manipulate the audio tracks and use the sampled kit to make them more dynamic then the intro/verse/chorus they come in.
You can hear the first four tracks here on my soundcloud and I hope you'll check back as I post more up. If you have any questions on how I used them or which ones I used that would definitely be cool and thanks for listening!

EDIT
should have said something about the music! Definitely influenced by late 60s/70s psychedelic and folk. Fairport Convention, Spirogyra, 13th floor elevators, Doors, Led Zeppelin, all that. I've been using some great samples also done by Propellerhead in their Abbey Road studio samples and electric bass samples. Just trying to make me on a midi keyboard and my guitar sound like a full five piece band.
anyways, thanks again for listening!

Drums are too far back in the mix on all the tracks. You need to be able to treat each individual drum; kick, snare, toms, etc, separately. Sticking reverb on the entire kit is gonna cause problems. Is it possible to bounce the individual drum tracks with Record? I had that then uninstalled it as it was a pain in the crack to use. I'd buy something like Superior Drummer and use that in your DAW. Bounce the individual drum parts and mix em into your project one at a time. Then add the bass, then the guitars, keys, etc.
Pay attention to what's happening in the mix, if you hear sudden drops in volume, you know which instrument caused it and you can resolve the conflict with the sliders, eq, panning etc.

Good luck :cool:
Phil

yeah I'm new to working with drums, so this advice definitely helps. The drums I'm used to are minimal and usually electronic, midi stuff. This is working with a fully tracked drumset on 7 or 8 channels, so I'm getting used to it. thanks for the tips, I'll definitely be sure to apply them, these are all rough mixes, but as I continue to work on new stuff and go back and re-mix the older songs I'll keep this in mind. thanks!

Back