new pop rock song

The mix sounds great. 32 seconds before the vocal starts is way too long if you are trying to hit radio with this.

yes, im aware of that. im going to cut the first chorus part that doesnt have vocals over it in half and shorten up the intro a measure for the radio. any other suggestions????

Thanks. For drums, I used 3 Shure pg81 ( good mics for the $$$), one on the high hat , and 2 overheads, and a u87 near the ride. SM57 on snare, d112 on kick, 57 on the high tom, and md421 on the floor. Snare drum and bass drum were ran through a trident s20 preamp, while the rest ran through a mackie 32x8 console. Drums were a tama starclassic maple kit, with zildjian 14" zcustom hats, 17 & 18" A custom crashes, and a 22in sabian ride. There were NO samples used on these drums, just consistant playing by me :D haha. For bass, i mic'd an ampeg 4x10 with a d112 about a 8" away from the bottom speakers. I had a DI but i didn't really have a need for it. Gutiars were a mesa boogie single rec head with angled 4x10 cab, 1 57 mic'd off axis right on the grill. amp was loud to say the least haha. minimal gain. Bass and guitars were both ran through a trident s20 pre aswell. vocals were recorded through a nuemann u87/trident pre. I recorded this all on sonar 6, and it was mixed on my mackie 32x8 bus console via motu HD192 I/O. This is only my first mix as im looking for suggestions, but everyone seems to like it. Check out my band aswell, my name is matt.

Great Mix!

Hey, Great Mix! I think the drums need some reverb or some room ambience in the mix, they sound too dry. I'm a drummer as well, so im pretty picky on the Drum side of things..... Great snare sound also, What kind of snare were you using? (Heads?)

Hey,

The snare is a 14x5.5 yamaha maple custom absolute. Batter head is an evans dry coated. The kit is a Tama Starclassic Maple, 12", 14" , 22x18 kick. 14" z custom highhats, 17" + 18" a custom crashes, and 20" sabian signature ride. These drums were not sampled, as you can tell by the live feel of them. I see where your coming from with adding a bit of reverb, how ever i wanted this to be as tight as i could. thanks alot for the comments.

Fucking catchy.. extremely good mix too, dude. I'll be adding your band so I remember to check this shit out every once and a while.

That was a really enjoyable listen man.

I have no idea if you really intend to do anything with the mix, but if you are, the only suggestion I can offer is to treat the lead vocal JUST A BIT in the first verse with a bit more verb...it's awkwardly upfront in the latter half of the first verse. Loved the doubling of it in parts of the chorus.

The guitars sound fucking enormous. The drums are just about perfect for this song...I mean, I'm listening on myspace, so the cymbals and hat sound like absolute phasey dogshit, but I'm sure they don't really sound like that.

Some people hate stuff like this; I don't. Really really hooky stuff.

thebarnstudio said:
yes, im aware of that. im going to cut the first chorus part that doesnt have vocals over it in half and shorten up the intro a measure for the radio. any other suggestions????

I dont think you need to do this for college radio stations or stations that will be playing your music anyway. Dont mess with the song the intro is not to long imo.

The mix is perfect the vocals almost sound like Stump from Fallout Boy but ive bet youve herad that. The recording sounds professional so really great job.

Wow, man.. good stuff. That sounds AWESOME. Keep up the good work.

You say that's your first mix? .. ... ever?

That's amazing if so.

Rock on!

Guys, thanks so much for the feedback.

No this was not my first mix EVER, haha. This was the first mix of the song, but it sounds pretty good. It's finally being played on the local college stations, and man it feels really good to hear your stuff on the radio, right with all the music you love. I've been recording now for a couple of years. I started on a Roland VS1880, and learned the basics on that. I really wish I could spend more time recording, but with school and work it makes it difficult.

chrisharris- I see what your saying about the vocals in the verse. They actually do have a bit of reverb on them, I will make sure to edit this for the final mix. Im glad you like the guitars, they were pretty much straightforward, Mesa Boogie single rec head/ 4x10 slanted cab turned up very loud, off axis 57...no fancy effects.

DAS19- Thanks for the vocal compliments. Our singer is very good, and Fall Out Boy has been an influence on me for a few years.

Inmyheartx- Thanks for the support bro, we need all we can get.

If anyone knows anyone who "knows someone" , please link them to the myspace. Again, thanks for everyone who is listening, and keep the comments coming.

ALSO- anyone who would like an MP3 of this song for a more "crisp" listening experience ( since we all love audio), feel free to send me an instant message on AIM - xincubusx311 or you can email me at mkruger311@yahoo.com

thebarnstudio said:
Guys, thanks so much for the feedback.

No this was not my first mix EVER, haha. This was the first mix of the song, but it sounds pretty good. It's finally being played on the local college stations, and man it feels really good to hear your stuff on the radio, right with all the music you love. I've been recording now for a couple of years. I started on a Roland VS1880, and learned the basics on that. I really wish I could spend more time recording, but with school and work it makes it difficult.

ALSO- anyone who would like an MP3 of this song for a more "crisp" listening experience ( since we all love audio), feel free to send me an instant message on AIM - xincubusx311 or you can email me at mkruger311@yahoo.com
It's no secret, this is a great song.. and you did well. Keep it up! I'll be emailing you about that mp3.. I'd love to hear it with more sound quality.. Myspace destroys music, lol.

Great!!!!
Sounds good. Unique voice, too, which is worth soooo much if you want to stand out among the bands playing this style. Great arrangement and lots of good energy.

I love it.

I want more thump outta the kick. Maybe it's there but just getting lost in the crappy bit rate. Drums otherwise and guitars sound freakin' great. Bass lacks any definition on my system, headphones or speakers. That's nitpicking a damn good recording and mix, but if the bottom-end stuff was worked out I think it'd pack more of a whallop. I'm also a mostly anti-autotune guy and my radar is going off. I'll keep my religious beliefs out of it though :).

Good job, Cleveland Rocks!

Back