New Pc setup choices ??$$

scott2go

Hello,
I am going to be purchasing a new pc soon and thought I'd ask everyone if you thought it would be better to go w/ a prebuilt say a dell then add my still undecided on recording soundcard/software,?or are there any reputable co's or individuals that build recording units for sale.Of course price is still a concern and I would like to go as reasonable as possible.And I know very little about pc building and maint.It would be used mainly for family use but i would like to get into pc based recording as well.Any tips or contacts would be appreciated.Thanks Scott

Scott, perhaps you know someone or work with an individual who knows how to build....this is the best way to go. No generic crap, no extra garbage you may not need. Quality componenents.

One more vote for "build it yourself" or "have a friend who knows what he's doing help build it."

That being said, if that's not possible, Dell ain't all too bad.

If you do decide to go the dell route you should be able to get a good deal. If you go onto their web site you can configure your own unit that fits your specific needs. You can build different systems and compare the prices. They also have different types of deals every week. This week I think their adding a second cdrw drive, which you can upgrade to a dvdw drive, for free.

I just bought my system for about $1200, and to my knowledge it's pretty sick.
Pent 4 2.66 GHz proc.
1 gig ram
Windows XP Pro
Floppy drive
20 gig HD
100 gig HD
4x DVD+RW/+r drive
17" monitor
Bla...bla...bla...

Good luck!!!

My vote is the Dell route. You can get what you want for fairly low $, it has a warrenty, and Dell always answers their phone.

The Dell refrubished site is a good source for low cost current PCs. Same warrenty, but lower $. I paid $250 for my last Dell 2GHz PC (no monitor, just the box).

Ed

Spend enough time on this bbs and you will see the topic of what kind of PC to buy/build over and over. And over. Really a shame somebody doesn't put together a faq.

My .000000002 cents worth....

Not understanding anything about PCs is like not understanding where the oil goes in your car... you are at the mercy of somebody.

Buying refurbished is kind of a crap shoot. You may win. The general consensus around here, to my perception, is that most often you don't.

I have bought Dell computers (2) and I have rolled my own (5). I regret buying the Dells.

Dell makes money in a very competitive market. I appreciate that the low cost is attractive, but Dell maintains that low cost by cutting corners where they can. That doesn't translate to cheap equipment, it does translate to integrated components and limited flexibility. Dell is competitive on the cheapest systems, the higher you go, the less competitive they get, and the less integrated and more flexible the comptuers get.

I too was intrigued by the custom 'music' computers. Not to belabor a point, but a computer is a computer is a computer and snazzing up the exterior doesn't change what's under the cover. Custom music computers are not a good value for the money.

I recommend absolutely that you roll you own. A lot of people recommend NewEgg while I favor Multiwave.

Luck!

Not to preach heresy by referring you to another board, but this thread on Harmony Central is pretty relevant for rolling your own, which is what I'm in the process of doing.

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=212238

The general consensus I've seen in my 3+ weeks of researching this is that building your own is better and gives you more flexibility, but also requires far more time in doing your homework before you buy. Do a search for relevant terms in this forum and Harmony Central forums (e.g., Dell, motherboard, DAW, etc.).

Or you could just get a Dell and if you find that it limits your capabilities a year from now, get another one later, and keep the Dell for family. If a lot of people in your family are going to be using this for a variety of tasks, this may be your best route, since if you do like the whole computer recording thing, its best to get a machine that's more dedicated and doesn't have a wife and kids loading it up with games and internet stuff.

Good luck!

If you're gonna build your own, you had better have a friend that knows what he/she is doing. Inevitably, something will go wrong and if you're a newbie, it will be a VERY frustrating experience. Something that might help is a website like arstechnica.com (I have no affiliation with this site). When I built my system, I posted any and all problems I had and withing minutes, I had a horde of bored computer geeks answering my questions for free!

if you go dell try and see there are a few open pci slots, 2 or 3 should suffice, and shoot for 3 memory (ram) slots, there pumping out the adds on dell and there getting fair ratings, there fast enough so i wouldn't worry about upgrading the mhz as the comp will most likely be waiting on you much of the time... processing large files might give you a sec to grab coffie ;)

you can always add a drive or go usb, try and grab an old system somewhere cheap and tear it down and rebuild it a few times, so, when 64 bit gets to the price of 32 you'll save even more by building it yourself...

all you non system builders do the same, a comp is nothing to fear, it's all snap and screw... yup, like sex, hard the first time and a pro ever after :D

oooooootaaaay paaannkyy!!!

After much research of my computer friends this weekend I have come to a few conclusions,

1.They All agree on one thing,They have the best Idea!!!

2.I have crossed over into a third dimension when it comes to computers,ie Mac w/ digi/ protools vs Pent.4 w/ every soundcard/software under the sun combos.I think I hurt myself just thinking

3.I thought I could just say Hey,can I buy this????hahahahahahha

4.I need NEW FRIENDS!!!!!!!!!!!

so in closing,I will forge on until I learn how to do this or I find someone who says,I have a deal for you,that wont break your bank,let you multitrack,and let your kids surf,print,and spellcheck!!!!!!

But for now mmmmmm....bbeeeeeerrrrrr!!!!!!!

Maybe some basics would help.

What do you want to record? Where do you want to do this recording? How many sources at one time? What do you plan to do with the recorded result?

Ed

well here we go

Just the basics,Rock N Roll Kind of a one man band to start
Guitar,Bass,Drums,Keys,and a couple vocal tracks,no more than 2 At one time,As far as what I will do with it,for now Im just writing music,The band I play in has done 2 decent live recordings,but I would like to spend some time w/ a decent rig and learn the ropes, solo,
I have great mics,a couple nice vintage 'back achin' preamped yamaha pm-700 12 ch mixers/consoles,a couple delay,chorus,echo,effects,and a lexicon for the reverb.Nothing too serious.for now.I just want to learn and experiment.Preferably w/ a decent setup.I'm still Lookin''''Thanks

Back