New PC recording environment - poor quality with AudioBuddy interface

lindamac

Hi, all!

I'm just getting started setting up a recording environment on my Windows XP PC. We currently use a Roland VS-840 unit for home recording projects, but I'd like to make the switch to computer recording.

To start, the recording projects will be along the lines of recording vocal demos with pre-recorded backing tracks. I am currently using CoolEdit 2000 with the studio plugin.

My biggest problem right now is getting a suitable audio interface to record my vocals. My first purchase (to get my feet wet) was an AudioBuddy interface, which is plugged into the line-in on an SB Live card. The vocal quality I am getting is awful - low volume and tinny. I am using the same microphone I use with my projects on the Roland VS-840 (a sennheiser 855) with good results. (note: I know this is not a preferred studio mic, but it's presence is good enough for what I am using it for).

I had done some research on this board and didn't see any similar problems noted with the AudioBuddy, so I figure I must have something setup incorrectly. If anybody can offer any suggestions on getting this setup correctly and improving the vocal quality, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Part II of this post is that I'd like to set this recording environment up in a more robust/better quality manner. I recently installed an Adaptec DuoConnect card for Firewire and USB 2.0 connectivity, so an interface using these types of input is possible. I did some research on the new mBox for Windows XP, but I'm seeing way too many problems and frustrations reported by the first users to attempt to use it for me to consider that a viable way to go.

I'd welcome input from you more experienced home studio engineers as to what hardware/software/microphone choices I should look into. I am prepared to spend some money on it, but I am not looking to setup a high-end pro studio (for example, I don't think I need to go the full-version ProTools route - I think that would be overkill for me and I use a professional studio for more serious recording projects).

If I need to supply more info about my environment, let me know.

Thanks to all in advance for your input!
Linda

Welcome to the site! :) There's lots of folks here far more knowledgeable than me who will be sure to help you out. I can help with Part I of your problem, maybe.

My guesses are that you either have a defective Audio Buddy mic preamp, are using the sound card's mic input by accident, or your SoundBlaster settings need a tweak. Here are some things to check out:

How does your vocals sound when sung into the audio buddy and listened to directly through your monitors? Does this crappy sound only happen when you record? This can help you determine if the crap sound is the audio buddy's or the soundblaster's fault.

How much gain are you using on the Audio Buddy? Does raising or lowering it sound any better? You could be using not enough gain on the AB, or possibly too much on the AB and not enough on the SB. "Gain staging" can cause real headaches when you're inexperienced. (Trust me, I know! :) )

If you bring up the "mixer" screen for the SoundBlaster, there should be a bunch of virtual faders marked "CD", "Wave", "Line", "Mic", and so on (one fader may be selectable as to what it does). Mute the "Mic" fader (SB mic inputs sound really lousy) and make sure the "Line" fader isn't muted. Does the SB's meter show a good level on when you sing into the mic? Does adjusting the Line fader help the sound at all? Also make sure you're not recording with the "All" setting or you'll get all sorts of junk you don't want.

I hope this helps (as opposed to confusing the issue further)! :)

Thanks for answering, esactun! Your input is very much appreciated.

Ok, I checked and I am definitely plugged into the line-in port. I don't seem to hear my vocal directly through the PC speakers when singing, only on playback of the recording ether that or it's so low that I can't hear it - forgive my ignorance, Is there some setting that would improve that? I have no trouble hearing the track playback.

I attempted to modify the mixer settings and made it much worse - volume decreased and I'm getting alot of buzzy distortion. In addition, if I increase the gain on the AudioBuddy, I get more distortion. When singing, I now hear the buzz from the distortion, but not my vocal. I must have something seriously messed up.

When I test recording via Creative's recorder, I don't see any action from the L-R level monitors and the playback is at an extremely low volume, even though I increased it in the Mixer's line-in settings.

Do Creative's sound settings override those set by the Windows XP utilities, or could something there be interfering with my ability to get decent input with the AudioBuddy?

Thanks again for your assistance.
Linda

What happens if you connect the pre to the VS840? Does it sound ok? if so then the issue is with your sound card.....either band jack or maybe the DAC is just awful heh..

note-band=bad!

Last edited:
Definitely try deadleafecho's idea. Make sure the channel gain on the VS840 is set really low (so as to impart as little of it's character as possible to the sound) and try recording into one of its line inputs through the Audio Buddy. If it sounds good, then it's the card that's doing it.

As far as I know, the Creative settings should work in sync with the Windows ones (it does on my PC, but I don't have XP). Check them both; the faders should be set the same no matter which one you adjust. If they don't, then your problem is probably way over my head. :)

I do know that the level of the Line-in fader can be tricky to set on old SoundBlasters. I found setting mine to about 1/3 of the way from the bottom gave an acceptable (for such an old card as that one) balance of signal to noise. Too low and it was thin and hissy, too high and it was nasty buzzing distortion. With that setting I wouldn't get that distortion unless my levels were too hot.

In general, you *should* be hearing yourself out of your monitors with no trouble, to the point where you have to turn them down or use 'phones so they won't bleed into the mic. I'm now wondering if your sound card is defective. Test the Audio Buddy with your VS and you'll know for sure. :)

Good luck!!

Thanks, guys!

Because I tried deadleafecho's idea I inadvertently discovered the real cause of the problem - a bad cable. I had to use a different type of cable to hook up to the VS840. Everything sounded fine (after a little tweaking - good suggestions from esactun).

It then got me to thinking about the cable I was using to plug into the sound card. I had purchased a cable from RadioShack to tide me over until I received a better cable I had ordered from a Pro Audio vendor. I had never switched to the better cable. Made the switch and, what do you know, volume and quality issues alleviated. Swapping the cables back and forth confirmed the root cause. (And, yes, esactun, I do hear myself fine now out of my PCs monitors.)

I know, I know - I should have thought of that before. I've seen plenty of posts on this board slamming "RadioSlack's" quality.

Thank you both for taking the time to help me!

Now, if any one has any suggestions on improving the hardware/software for my Windows XP recording environment, I'm all ears...

Linda

lindamac said:
Because I tried deadleafecho's idea I inadvertently discovered the real cause of the problem - a bad cable. I had to use a different type of cable to hook up to the VS840. Everything sounded fine (after a little tweaking - good suggestions from esactun).....

Thank you both for taking the time to help me!

Aha! A nice and simple solution. Very cool. 'Tis true that RadioShack cables die faster than my aunt's houseplants. :)

I'm glad things are working out. And you're very welcome!

I have always found it odd that people will invest in good equipment then skimp on cables. I dropped a ton of money on cable,patch,mic chords etc for both recording and my live gigs.

Another point is I am not a big fan of the soundblaster cards for Recording in fact they suck! OK for gaming and such but no way for recording. If you want an inexpensive audio card to get started M-Audio Audiophile 24/96. You can pick one up for around $150 and you will be glad.

Dave

lindamac said:
... I use with my projects on the Roland VS-840 (a sennheiser 855) with good results. ...
Hey guys I have a problem
I've just got a microphone (Sennheiser 855) the same one as Linda have
I want to connect it to my pc, but I'm affraid I can't do it with the stuff I got (check the photo out)
Can someone help me and tell me which connector (or other things) I need ?

Attachments

• mikrofon.JPG
    mikrofon.JPG
    32 KB · Views: 101
honza said:
Hey guys I have a problem
I've just got a microphone (Sennheiser 855) the same one as Linda have
I want to connect it to my pc, but I'm affraid I can't do it with the stuff I got (check the photo out)
Can someone help me and tell me which connector (or other things) I need ?
I was finally sent the cabel, but I need a reduction jack 3.5 to my computer
My question is do I have to have 3.5 MONO jack for a Sennheiser 855?
I asked my mom to buy me a jack but they had only 3.5 stereo and our friend told her not to buy it if it's for a microphone. Is it true that I need 3.5 mono ? :confused:
Thanx in advance

honza said:
I was finally sent the cabel, but I need a reduction jack 3.5 to my computer
My question is do I have to have 3.5 MONO jack for a Sennheiser 855?
I asked my mom to buy me a jack but they had only 3.5 stereo and our friend told her not to buy it if it's for a microphone. Is it true that I need 3.5 mono ? :confused:
Thanx in advance
nobody knows ?
come on guys tell me if u know ... MONO or STEREO ?
please

All microphones are mono unless they are specifically labeled stereo (and there aren't all that many stereo mics out there). Your 855 is mono. Pretty much all the mics discussed on this board are mono.

So you understand the difference - mono means one, stereo means two. A stereo mic actually has two seperate microphones that pick up two different signals. Here are some examples of stereo mics:

AKG C426B
Shure VP88
Rode NT4

There are a handful of others out there, but not a whole lot. Some cheap ones have been coming out recently for business conferences and live recording, but for the most part, they're more expensive than a typical mono dynamic like you have.

To further understand the idea of mono vs. stereo, cover up one ear. Walk around - listen to how things sound (this isn't perfect mono since you can't perfectly cover you ear - but you'll get the idea). With both ears uncovered, you hear in stereo.

And if you haven't already, read the big sticky thread at the top of the forum.

-Peter

OneRoomStudios said:
All microphones are mono unless they are specifically labeled stereo (and there aren't all that many stereo mics out there). Your 855 is mono. Pretty much all the mics discussed on this board are mono.

So you understand the difference - mono means one, stereo means two. A stereo mic actually has two seperate microphones that pick up two different signals. Here are some examples of stereo mics:

AKG C426B
Shure VP88
Rode NT4

There are a handful of others out there, but not a whole lot. Some cheap ones have been coming out recently for business conferences and live recording, but for the most part, they're more expensive than a typical mono dynamic like you have.

To further understand the idea of mono vs. stereo, cover up one ear. Walk around - listen to how things sound (this isn't perfect mono since you can't perfectly cover you ear - but you'll get the idea). With both ears uncovered, you hear in stereo.

And if you haven't already, read the big sticky thread at the top of the forum.

-Peter
Thank you very much !!!:)
btw I've read the sticky thread
thanx u r cool !!!

Back