New PC for Cool Edit Pro

billy3000

Hey All...... I got some great tips about gear on the CEP forums. If anyone here is into CEP, what is your favorite PC configuration?

I'm thinking AMD Athlon/ 512RAM/ 2 80 Gig HD's with 8000cache each at 7200RPM........ but, what brand of HD's?? duh.....there's a boatload to choose from. so, anyway NO modem. no Internet. Verboten. and probably an audiophile 2496.

also, what is the best Video card for a dedicated recording PC? word has it the fancy upscale video cards aren't quite kosher for recording

Thanks for any feedback!

Bill

billy - i left a msg on the cool forum for you.
matrox are well behaved video cards.
but some motherboards come with on board video.
thus saving you buying a video card.
that config is good for 40 tracks easy.
also its 8MB cache hard drives is the official technical term.
also you want to overspec the power supply
amd.com is a good source for lists of approved motnerboards.
nvidea chipsets are favoured by a lot of folks.

one thing that you may not be able to do with onboard graphics (although maybe you can, i'm not sure) is use multiple monitors. I want to do that so i got a radeon 9800 SE, definately not top of the line but better than averag i would say. It is a huge step up from the Gforce 4 i used to use.

ok, repeated from the other forum

manning1 said:

if my NEW PC (don't know exactly what it will be yet.....) may or may not have video in the motherboard. if it does, I'll leave this PC alone. jut use it to pass along virus's and trojans to friends ;) only joking....

If I NEED this PNY card, I'll yank it and put back the paleoithic one.

bottom line........I need a new PC. I've been playing some decent gigs lately, moneywise. just not enough of them to pay the bills and have a slush fund for my new PC. all in good time I guess.

Well, Manning.........

manning1 said:

By now, I'm likely getting on your nerves with my lack of knowledge about this stuff. But, I hope I'm not.

I really do appreciate all of your help. By Trade, I am a Guitarist/Vocalist.
I also play drums/piano/and bass.

I do NOT put Engineer in my resume. Yikes! not even close to that Illegally Imported Cuban Cigar.

I have 2 friends I'm TRYING to work with in a songwriting project. Not just 10 songs and we're done. But a blow and go song factory. And they are friends.
I don't feel we're using each other or taking advantage etc.....

I simply don't like their recording methods, and knowledge or lack thereof.

One guy has a tascam 2488....the other guy wants to buy a Boss 1600 or some gimcrack portastudio thing. oy.........

ok, I'm gonna cut this long tale off at the pass. I ran into you on the CEP forum. I like CEP. I don't like desktop HD recorders with lcd screens less than 1.5 inches in total viewing are. it's ridiculous. I may have to go off on my own and record my own songs etc........

I WILL figure out how to do that, in time. One last question. does an audiophile 2496 have a headphone out jack on it? or a stereo out that could be fed into a headphone amp?

billy ...this is the PROPER way to do headphones with soundcards like the 2496. you take stereo line out into any amplifier with a headphone jack on it ,and the amplifier runs your speakers as well. a home hifi receiver will do in a pinch rather than an expensive pro studio amplifier like ive used in the past. but i dont know how old your pc is and whether it will take to a audiophile card.

I just posted to you on the CEP forum

manning1 said:
billy ...this is the PROPER way to do headphones with soundcards like the 2496. you take stereo line out into any amplifier with a headphone jack on it ,and the amplifier runs your speakers as well. a home hifi receiver will do in a pinch rather than an expensive pro studio amplifier like ive used in the past. but i dont know how old your pc is and whether it will take to a audiophile card.

current computer is a wash. i need a new one. You've given me the parameters
as far as memory HD's processor etc.....

I just need to buy the darned thing. I'm guessing 600 bucks will buy a decent new PC these days.

just dont skimp on the power supply billy. ive seen people do that and suffer the consequences. REMEMBER 512 RAM OR MORE FOR COOL EDIT.
COOL LIKES MEMORY !!
peace

Thanks manning

manning1 said:
just dont skimp on the power supply billy. ive seen people do that and suffer the consequences. REMEMBER 512 RAM OR MORE FOR COOL EDIT.
COOL LIKES MEMORY !!
peace

I will be in touch. Luckily I have some PC gurus in the family. If I explain to them(along with your specs) what i want, they will put one together for me.

cheaper than buying a whole one, ya know. to be redundant, gigs have sucked wind this season. I assume your season is the summer.

actually, i don't know if you even play out anymore. it's growin a little thin on me. I need the money, what there is.

that day job on the horizon aint goin away. At first, i thought it was a mirage or a tequila hallucination. no such luck ;)

try and use 8 mb cache hard drives billy.
you dont necessarily need the top athlon either.
try to use an nvidea chpiset.
heres some prices as a guide....
canadasys.com
newegg has good prices on the net.
peace.
ps....ive posted tons of tips in past year. just search under my name.

we meet again!

manning1 said:
try and use 8 mb cache hard drives billy.
you dont necessarily need the top athlon either.
try to use an nvidea chpiset.
heres some prices as a guide....
canadasys.com
newegg has good prices on the net.
peace.
ps....ive posted tons of tips in past year. just search under my name.

Yes, you are a good tipper ;)

cnadasys.com...... I'll look at it. Seriously, I'm in a bind at the moment. I need to go back to having a ####ing day job. it's as simple as that. everything costs too damn much.

Like I said, the 'season' in Phoenix sort of didn't happen last year or this year.

I am c/p-ing all your data/info. I hope you don't mind. So, in the meantime while i'm waiting to buy my new PC or build it....I think I'll just see what everyone else is into. Vicarious thrills ;)

Good Lord, I can't stop myself. Could I run band in a box and/or the midi aspects of Power tracks on this ol coal burner? I could be building drum tracks while I'm saving up for the new PC.

Can you use Band in a box as a step writing tool? you know, rather than just use whatever drum tracks already are pre-programmed. that's a good feature, but I don't really need all the bells and whistles. I know what I'm going to play on bass/piano/guitar(s) etc....but I need a cool drum track, or several really.

I'm doing something boneheaded. I'm pretty sure one can take a 'song pattern' from BITB and customize it. I'll work on that while I'm waiting to win the lottery or something ;)

what type of stuff are you into songwise/writing wise etc.. I'd like to hear something.

billy. you dont need to overspend on a studio these days.
about 2k...and youve got a very decent songwriting set up.
a friend i just set up and helped. he found a used amd duron system for 150 bucks. i helped him choose mics plus soundcard and the software i use. he spent only about 1k actually or less and does 40 tracks.
heres a link , call it free education. i didnt realise this was available now...
soak it up.... if you go to pgmusic.com they have put up FREE TUTORIALS under the SUPPORT heading. just read and learn. youll learn a lot over going to recording school.
if you find a used system for 150 bucks post the specs and i'll help tell you if its any good.
peace.

Back