new original piano/ guitar

Wow!!

Haven't been here for awhile.

Really don't want to critique, just wanted to say how wonderfull sounding this song is.

Very beautifull, easy to listen to, and hypnotic.

Me likey, and me listen again!!

GT;)

this is probably the most melodic, beautifully played and recorded item I have ever heard in this clinic.

Plenty of luscious reverb and delay on the keys. Right up my alley.

Jeff...this is in another league. If there was a grade above A+, that's what this would be.

I think the bass, balance and all is just fine. I don't hear a single thing wrong with it.... maybe a "easier" fade out to match your PERFECT fade in in the beginning.

Yeah...this is the best this board has heard. All beautiful keyboard sounds and all, but it's the music that make the keys and guitar sound great, not the other way around.

shoot....after listening again (and again)...that last fade out on the last note is fine too...no fadeout needed...

mixmkr said:
this is probably the most melodic, beautifully played and recorded item I have ever heard in this clinic.

Plenty of luscious reverb and delay on the keys. Right up my alley.

Jeff...this is in another league. If there was a grade above A+, that's what this would be.

I think the bass, balance and all is just fine. I don't hear a single thing wrong with it.... maybe a "easier" fade out to match your PERFECT fade in in the beginning.

Yeah...this is the best this board has heard. All beautiful keyboard sounds and all, but it's the music that make the keys and guitar sound great, not the other way around.

I must concur, this is one fine sounding recording all around.

Tell us all about your new mixer!!

GT:cool:

Yeah

Hi,

IMHO, you need to:

(a) release a CD of original instrumentals like this

(b) seriously consider getting involved in soundtrack/scoring work

(c) both a and b

Greetings from Chicago,
David

JMarcomb

Some very pleasant modern jazz you have there!

It kind of reminds me a bit of Earl Kluge, An acoustic jazz guitarist, popular back in the 80's and onward.

As for the channel imbalance, yes, I could hear the left channel holding the kings share of the mix on this one. It might be due to the rotational echo effect which has the sound leading from the left and swirling back to it again.

You might try panning the electric piano harder to the right and leave the acoustic guitar where it is to balance this delicate teeter-tooter.

The bass did sound very full and warm but not to the point of rattling my speakers at moderate volumes. At louder listening levels, things were becoming a bit on the wild side with much energy around the 100hz mark.

There was also the slightest bit of mid-range raspyness to the acoustic guitar in spots and a mild cut of a db or so might smooth that out a little at louder levels. This could also be due to the mp3 conversion process so be careful not to mix specifically for this format and end up ruining an otherwise properly engineered recording.

Otherwise, yes, I would echo the previous comments about this being a wonderful piece of soothing music.

Cheers! :)

Thats definitely one of the BEST recordings I have heard around here.
The mix seems fine to me...............I'm a LoFi guy though:D
This piece really creates a mood though and I think that trancsends any other issues.
Lovely piece.

Wow!

Thx for the pm bro, you made my day with this!

I like the mix a lot. When I listened back on my pc the bass was vibrating something on my desk like crazy lol. (5.1 spkrs w/ a cranked sub can do that I guess lol)

So I burned this baby to a cd as fast as I could to take it out to my home stereo. I played it back without any eq. SOUNDS GREAT!

Very well mixed, love the ballance of the instruments. Not one instrument over done to dominate the song.

This IS where it's at!

Very nice piece of music here.

Oh yeah, and your right, I do prefer your originals....This is exactly why. :)

Thanks for sharing!

~scott

This song really creates a great mood. Sweet playing to! You writing style is similar to a guy named Walter Afanasieff. He's done a zillion things in the industry. He's one of the biggest producers in music.

Great job.
John

very enjoyable... able to listen without thinking about the mix.. there is a lot of bass to it, but probably not too much.. keep this stuff coming..

I didnt expect such great feedback from everybody!
a pleasent suprise :)

GT

Hey there :)
I sold my delta 1010 that I was using a few months back and went out and bought a Yamaha 01v96. I bought it after reading the positive review in my sound on sound magazine.
Its a nice mixer with a ton of features... maybe a little too many.. because I can get confused very easily :) For example when I start to patch effects into a aux bus.. I lose track of where the signal went after that :) so I have alot to learn on it. It comes with a very good manual, so whenever I get lost I just thumb through the pages a little. Im still using the triton for my sounds, but Im able to run lightpipe into the board so there is no signal degragation now... which is nice.
Well... Im glad you liked and theres the scoop on the new toy.
they can be had @ guitar center for ~1800 ... so there really not that cheap.. but a great sounding mixer.

mixmkr

You get the most shocking review of '03 award :)
being as critical as you are... i thought youd rip this one up :) so I was really suprised, because I still am having some difficulties with my mixer. I dont know why I have such a hard time with the concept of routing.... Like .. a signal goes into a aux bus then out to a stereo bus and then trying to keep the signal in mono by panning... it gets super confusing. I guess it is a really good experience using a hardware mixer... Im more hands on so a physical mixer is better than a software one any day for me.
I really appreciate the positive review on this tune... and the funny part is it has no percussion :) maybe a shaker ... for the chorus :)

Mistur Purfekt

David
I also live in the chicagoland area, neighbor :)
Thanks for the encouraging words... I'll take your a and b options please. :) where do I sign up :)
kidding aside... Ive been working on redoing some older songs for some time and now that I purchased a new mixer ... Im hoping I can put together a nice easy listening cd that is marketable. Im still cutting my teeth with this mixer, so hopefully a CD is right around the corner.
I'll see you around... maybe at the Cubbie bear :)

The Ghost of FM

Yes... Im a big fan of smooth jazz stuff. so naturally it comes through.
I havent heard of mr. kluge, but im rember to look the next time im a barnes and noble.
I did notice that I had the electric piano panned about 25. I went back last night and tinkered with the panning and effects again and its starting to come together. My acoustic guitar have alot of energy at around 100hz... and I have 5 layared deep in the chorus... so I'll have to go back and sacrifice so frequencies in there.
Your right about the Mp3 conversion... it really does horrible things to the sound. As soon as I mixed the song down and then converted it... it sounded very thin. But... I guess thats what you get for such a tiny little file :)
As far as the bass... a couple people said the bass was a bit strong and a some a bit weak, so I guess it depends on how big your woofer is :) I'll mixing on these tiny PS5's so I cant hear much on the bottom until I bring it out on the stereo.
Thanks for all your comments and suggestions.

HevyD47Ca

Thanks hevy... Im really glad the mood got converted over into what I was hearing in my head.. That was my initial mission.
I came up with a piano melody and the other insturments fell into place.
thanks again!
I hope you didnt listen to this in LoFi :) YikeS!

Buffalo Bob

Thanks a bunch Buffalo Bob.

Ray J

yes.. it was the best I could do for last week! :)
thanks

Sonixx

Thanks! :)

sjcrts

Hey! Im glad you enjoyed it.
Thats funny... I wish the bass was that good in here :).. where it would rattle stuff off my desk
:) My monitoring speakers really dont handle bass that well.. so Im almost guessing my levels until i listen on the stereo system.
Im glad you approve of the balances. I working on fixing a couple little things that dont sound quite right... but its great to hear that its sounding good on your system.
Always appreciate you stopping by and i'll chat again soon!

robjh22

Thanks much for stopping in to have a listen. Im glad you enjoyed! :)

rushfan33

John
havent hear of Walter Afanasieff.. but i'll keep my ears open :)
Ive alwayed enjoyed Rushs' songs. theres 3 guys that can do a 180 with a musical change and then throw you threw a corkscrew... very dynamic style.
Thanks for the listen.

B.SABBATH

I cant tell if there is too much bass. Some people say there isnt that much and some say a bunch :) I guess its the monitoring system.
I usually like extra bass.. so the more the merrier :)
I recorded some vocals while I was watching my sisters house... but I wasnt really happy on the tone of my vocals. I kinda put my guitar playing standards with my singing abilities and its just below average... for me anyways. But Im going to keep working at singing until I can put together something worth posting.
I know... Im a chatterbox :)
Thanks!

Hey Mr. Marcomb - BEEYOOTEEFUL.

I can't properly monitor right now, but based on other stuff, I'd say the bass is just kinda' prominent in the low mids (duh)...but really...I bet this booms a bit in the car. Sounds freaking great in headphones, though. Seems like a pretty dynamic bass, which maybe accentuates that.

My experience has been that the more bass I mix in, the better "clinic reviews" it gets, lmao...just sometimes gets out of hand in the boomy environments that I listen to music in.

Take care...really soothing piece.

Jeff,
Love your stuff Always!
Thats exactly what I wish I could do :D :D :D

It sure has your signature sound as well.

Just so you know EVERYONE Ive played your music for has Loved it especially after being subjected to mine :D :D :D

The bass sounds just right to me as well...

what keyboard are you using???

There is one thing that MAY improve this and that would be that its a bit too centered Id like to here the keyboard sounds flow in a bit wider space.

Peace
Bill

Really good. There was that slightly out of tune bass thing toward the middle which was different. Overall excellent stuff. I'd buy the CD.

JEFF,

You are beautiful! Absolutely Beautiful!

This one makes my heart hurt with such longing, I yearn to be part of the beauty you compose.

I hope to write a song, someday, that moves someone as you have moved me with this song.

This is my favorite. Your best yet.

You, my friend, should be making big bucks and not hanging around here.

Downloading and Dropping 5 big stars.

Back