New one - Wait For You

Very well done. I'd say the performance is finished. The only thing I' do is spread the aural soundscape of the 1st guitar using some stereo enhancement voodoo...short of re-recording with stereo mic's. It remains prominent in the center, and steps on the vocal. You could also move it aside and balance it off somehow. Then there's a lot of ambience on the vox, which tends to place it back of the guitar, which has less, I think.

A fine tune and execution. The recorded sounds are swingin'. Just mixtweakage left.

Very well done. I'd say the performance is finished. The only thing I' do is spread the aural soundscape of the 1st guitar using some stereo enhancement voodoo...short of re-recording with stereo mic's. It remains prominent in the center, and steps on the vocal. You could also move it aside and balance it off somehow. Then there's a lot of ambience on the vox, which tends to place it back of the guitar, which has less, I think..

Thanks for the kind remarks guys.

Jeff...I think you're right. The main acoustic was recorded stereo, so I've gone back and panned hard left and right. I think it gives it enough space for the main vocal to live. Just over wrote the previous version. Better?

Yes...and no; but it can ne fixed. Now that it's panned outside, it sounds louder. I'd say drop the track a few db and see how it sits. Some of the time, it's near OK level; but on the intro, especially...that D chord...the D note on the third fret, 2nd string[?] just explodes. Might be the room, or a sweet spot on the guitar. I think y' gotta tame that...maybe squish that freq on a very narrow eq dip. Just the acoustic #1. And I'd either add ambience to the acoustic...or dry up the vox to get the guitar behinder.

FWWIW. :^)

You're right. I noticed it from the beginning...but you nailed it. I'll spend some time on it after dinner. Thanks for the input Jeff. Stay tuned.

Jeff,
..that is a tough frequency as it hits the upper mids pretty heavy. Did what I could, brought the whole thing down a few dbs and gave it some more verb. I think it sounds better for sure, but I also think it's a sweet spot on the guitar that rings a bit more than other notes. Updated...

Sweet!
Now, a deeper nit, for future reference:

There's one slight weakness in your execution on the acoustic that, defeated by attention to the flaw, can improve your recordings a big lot in the subsequent projects you do.

And that is, holding the notes that ring in the chords until the last possible moment. The time between let-off, and striking the next fingering is , in a few spots, a little much, and the acoustic groove is inturrupted. Check out a bunch of pro recordings..like, say, Nickleback's.....and listen to the acoustic parts. You rarely hear the gap; and that's because producers are sticklers for rectifying that particular bad habit in the players they oversee. They mock, and throw stuff, and get really pissed-off. With good reason.
It's a major 'tell' of an experienced recording guitarist that they discipline themselves to release late, and make the next chord on the 'one'.... like lightning. And it makes a big difference in the quality of the continuity and smoothness of the sound-floor.
Something to be aware of, and work on.

when I think of this, I think of Bob Dylan. Like this could easy swap out for Dylans song on the opening credits for "Watchmen". It's got that vibe.

No complaints from me. I like.

Very haunting piece...;)
Real nice harmonies and a great voice. Nice acoustic sounds, reminds me of Blackbird. Nice work, well done!

Joey :):):):)

I appreciate the encouragement guys. Glad you liked it.

Jeff, I just started learning to finger pick. It's hard! I'll keep what you said in mind when I practice. Thanks for the 0bservation.

Most excellent...love it:cool:. BG vocals are way cool.

You never have the download option damn you:eek:!

Thanks heat! Glad you liked it.

I guess I never thought about people actually wanting to download my songs.:eek: Plus, that may not be the final mix. Can't have unfinished mixes floating around...should I ever put out that album I keep trying to finish:rolleyes:

Definitely your own voice/style which is excellent - evokes memories of guys like Simon and Garfunkel and Lightfoot among others. Fingerpicking is a tough one and you do it well - and if you're new to it you'd never know it. Love the tone on the backups - telephone-ish and makes them sit nice in the mix. I have no nits on anything - just want to say it's great!

:D:):D:)

Last edited:
Enjoying the song. I like the subtle harmonies. Are you playing on a Martin?? Is it a different guitar for the solo part or just mixed differently.

Man, that comment Jeff made about the gap between chords is going to kill me. Now I have to go back through all my songs and listen to see if I do it!!! Dammit, I'm sure I do. :mad: Thanks Jeff!!! :mad: :mad: :D :D

Definitely your own voice/style which is excellent - evokes memories of guys like Simon and Garfunkel and Lightfoot among others. Fingerpicking is a tough one and you do it well - and if you're new to it you'd never know it. Love the tone on the backups - telephone-ish and makes them sit nice in the mix. I have no nits on anything - just want to say it's great!

:D:):D:)

Thanks ido!

Enjoying the song. I like the subtle harmonies. Are you playing on a Martin?? Is it a different guitar for the solo part or just mixed differently.

Far from a Martin. It's a 2002 Alvarez RD20S. Not a very expensive guitar, but the day I got it I thought it sounded better than all the other guitars in that price range, and even ones costing a good bit more as well. Looks different than the current model offered. I had a bone nut and saddle put on it. The other guitar is a Rodriguez C-1, a classical guitar. Both these guitars, I feel, offer a big bang for buck. I really enjoy playing them both. Again, the C1 offered up a good bit more tone than other comparable classicals in the store, imo, and was less expensive. I recorded the steel string stereo with a rode nt-3 and an AT2035, and the classical was using just the at2035. Also recorded the vox with the at2035.

Last edited:
Back