New one, "Neck Deep in the Sand"

mattdee1

Hey guys

I finished recording this one a few days ago and have worked on tweaking the mix since. It seems that every time I listen to it I hear something new and end up tweaking it further. I'm pretty sure I've lost any semblance of objectivity by now, so I'd appreciate it if you guys could check it out and let me know what areas you think I should look at.

"Neck Deep in the Sand"
http://soundclick.com/share?songid=8206310

Thanks!
Matt

Matt,

These has a cool vibe. Not sure why, but this reminds me alot of the Presidents of the United States of America. I like the dynamics of the song. I would almost like to hear some crunchy electric guitars when it kicks into the final chorus to give it that extra whatever after the breakdown. It's a fun sounding song, and I hear ya about finding the flame. Everyday struggle.

I think the drums could use a little more dynamics to bring up the louder parts. The vocals sound great. Good work

Hey Matt,
Cool tune and fun. One thing I have done is to evaluate my mixes at different times of the day, sometimes cold and other times after listening to music that I think sounds really great. Sort of ear training.
Based on my own prefrences I would try these things with your mix:

Bring up the bass guitar (or what ever it is) some. I think that will make the kik a little less "out front" and give a little more foundation.

I think the effect on the snare could be brought back a touch so that the effect doesn't call attention to itself and will make the snare more present without bringing up the volume. The kick is somewhat dry so the verb on the snare really pops by comparison.

Your main guitar could come down a little in the vocal sections and even though I am a huge fan of wide stereo guitar this may be a touch too much, just a subjective opinion.

I think the overall eq of the mix is a little hot in the 1k to 3k range. Perhaps a really wide scoup that covers that whole area, 2 or 3 db or something.

For me I think this mix is pretty close and the song is worth dialing in.
Andy

Sounds good, man. Though I agee with most of the mix advice already given. Love the song, and the arrangement. Drums sound good, other than the cymbals. Nice job, man. Fun tune.

Matt,

These has a cool vibe. Not sure why, but this reminds me alot of the Presidents of the United States of America. I like the dynamics of the song. I would almost like to hear some crunchy electric guitars when it kicks into the final chorus to give it that extra whatever after the breakdown. It's a fun sounding song, and I hear ya about finding the flame. Everyday struggle.

Thanks dude. Y'know, it's weird--when I started mixing, I totally had the same idea about the crunchy guitars after the breakdown, but my guitar amp was across the city and I don't care much for the sound of crunchy guitar chords recorded direct. I think I'll try it though, when I get the chance.

I think the drums could use a little more dynamics to bring up the louder parts. The vocals sound great. Good work

Thanks Tim, I don't get compliments on vocals very often so it's nice to hear. I agree 100% about the drums, and I knew this point would likely be pointed out, but unfortunately I was stuck using the drum loops I have available. I'm definitely going to try other options to see if I can make it rock more.

Hey Matt,
Cool tune and fun. One thing I have done is to evaluate my mixes at different times of the day, sometimes cold and other times after listening to music that I think sounds really great. Sort of ear training.
Based on my own prefrences I would try these things with your mix:

Bring up the bass guitar (or what ever it is) some. I think that will make the kik a little less "out front" and give a little more foundation.

I think the effect on the snare could be brought back a touch so that the effect doesn't call attention to itself and will make the snare more present without bringing up the volume. The kick is somewhat dry so the verb on the snare really pops by comparison.

Your main guitar could come down a little in the vocal sections and even though I am a huge fan of wide stereo guitar this may be a touch too much, just a subjective opinion.

I think the overall eq of the mix is a little hot in the 1k to 3k range. Perhaps a really wide scoup that covers that whole area, 2 or 3 db or something.

For me I think this mix is pretty close and the song is worth dialing in.

Thanks for the analysis, Andy. Tomorrow, I'll be sure to investigate your EQ and panning suggestions. Regarding the drums, well, see above. :) Thanks a bunch for listening.

Sounds good, man. Though I agee with most of the mix advice already given. Love the song, and the arrangement. Drums sound good, other than the cymbals. Nice job, man. Fun tune.

Cool Rami, thanks for taking the time to check it out.

Cheers all
Matt

Very good song, nice playing and sound all round. Voice could maybe come up a little in the verses. Nice work!

Joey :):):):)

Great job Matt :).

The song is really well put together...catchy, fun, yet original. I like it.

I agree with a lot of acatoir's comments, particularly about the snare reverb and the overall abundance of some sizzle which i presume to be the 1k to 3k range being referred to in that post...

Vocal performance is really quite good and suits the song.

Again...nicely done :).

Good song. It's catchy. You've got some good harmonies and sounds. Though I do agree that some crunchy, distorted guitar would really kick this mix up a bit.

During the verses, I heard a lot of lip smacks and pops from the vocals. What are you doing as far as a pop-stopper?

I like the breakdown in the third minute. The bass lick sounds good, though it could probably stand to be a little louder and clearer.

You also kind of look like the guy from PotUSA; maybe that's where ksounds heard the similarity? :D

Thanks to everybody who has listened and commented!

During the verses, I heard a lot of lip smacks and pops from the vocals. What are you doing as far as a pop-stopper?

You know, I'm a bit embarrassed to say I didn't even notice that until well into the mixing process. I tried to keep it at bay with a gate, but obviously that's not enough. I'll probably just end up retracking those parts.

Dang LDC's have to pick up every little detail... :D

Matt

Back