New One in The Works, Need a Sound Check

I was just at GC and picked up a pair of Yamaha HS50M demos real cheap (the GC is moving to a new location and selling a lot of their stuff) - So far I've listened to 3 of my mixes and 4 other songs, and they all made my eyes water - this doesn't sound bad at all, which means it must be really good! Only the high piano tinkling was hurting a little.

Great song and performance - think I'll listen again with my other monitors :D - I didn't listen to the first mix - I like the hihat in this one.
Interesting comment because I was just listening to the mix and taking notes and one of them was to turn the high piano down a little bit. BTW this was mixed on Yamaha HS80M monitors. The HS50M monitors you have are similar, but I think they may lack a little low end if compared. I've heard a sub can really help lift the low end on those. Don't they have a switch on the back that lets you cut the highs as well? The 80s do. Any way I'll take "doesn't sound bad at all" as a compliment. Thanks for listening.

Your voice seems less confident on this than 'Like Me Only Different.' The mixing seemed better/clearer on that as well.
Hmmmm... We were pretty happy with how these vocals turned out on this one, and now when I listen to 'like me only different' it sort of sounds like shite to me. If fact, we're re-doing it.

Interesting comment because I was just listening to the mix and taking notes and one of them was to turn the high piano down a little bit. BTW this was mixed on Yamaha HS80M monitors. The HS50M monitors you have are similar, but I think they may lack a little low end if compared. I've heard a sub can really help lift the low end on those. Don't they have a switch on the back that lets you cut the highs as well? The 80s do. Any way I'll take "doesn't sound bad at all" as a compliment. Thanks for listening.
heh - not enough context in my post - apologies. I'm listening now with my other monitors, and the mix is fantastic - I'm keeping HS50s set to "sting" mode simply as a second set (still using my sub) for an acid test - my point was that my mixes and a couple of other songs didn't pass the acid test, but yours did.

heh - not enough context in my post - apologies. I'm listening now with my other monitors, and the mix is fantastic - I'm keeping HS50s set to "sting" mode simply as a second set (still using my sub) for an acid test - my point was that my mixes and a couple of other songs didn't pass the acid test, but yours did.
Thanks man. That's good to hear.

I like it all except the high end piano ostinato about 2/3rds the way through - it sounded , err, um fake - not a great sample - BUT knowing my luck, it'll have been recorded using a real piano.
GOOD song well captured.

I like it all except the high end piano ostinato about 2/3rds the way through - it sounded , err, um fake - not a great sample - BUT knowing my luck, it'll have been recorded using a real piano.
GOOD song well captured.
It's a steinway grand piano recorded with schoeps cem6 stereo pair, mixed with a Pearlman TM -1 omni room mic on stage at the elsinore theater.

Ah, just kidding Ray, its a sample, and you're right, it could be better. Mostly I think it's just too loud and a little too much reverb. If you know of any good piano samples to recommend, I'm all ears.

Thanks for listening.

Back