New OG Funk Groove- SayyYeah--Soul-King

Rather sexy.
The guitar solo part reminds me a lot of Hendrix or those old 60s and 70s jam bands.

I think you really got that "old sound" down with this mix.
Snare could have more impact. It would help drive the groove.

Tight playing.
The end was abrupt.

this is pretty good writing. I even can appreciate the arrangement, I just think a less artificial more analog sound would win me over completely. I hate to keep referencing the 60s here, but they would have let the end keep repeating and fade out in an imperfect way (obviously some guys were paying attention to how to ride down that fader back then, and then when automation came along you hear more perfect fade-outs. My favorite imperfect fade out is the "party style" where the volume just very quickly runs down out of nowehre lol. A compromise in the middle there should suffice. But please, that abrupt ending is not supposed to be there i dont think).

Really a good grooving song. I also love the lead guitar. It sits in the mix really well with that echo on it. This is old school all the way which is what I like. I was going to comment on this a couple of days ago but after listening I lost my signal. Real horns in the horn section in place of the synth would put this over the top.
great song and great job on nailing the vintage soul vibe!

Nice and funky! I like it a lot. Good playing throughout. If your looking for suggestions to lengthen it....a couple things you could do....the song really doesn't go anywhere, no climax and for me, I don't hear a lot of separation between musical parts . You really need something like a stronger chorus to bring it all together as I waiting for it but it never came. I am sure you have heard it, but if you haven't, listen to Uptown Funk by Bruno Mars. Same style of music yet his chorus parts come in with stronger horns and other instruments. He also uses parts where the beat breaks down to just the kick to give it some flavor. You could also try a key change towards the end. Regardless, its a great start and sounds really good so far.

thank yall so much for the feedback exactly what I was looking for.
@Schwarzenyaeger-- thanks for the great Hendrix compliment!...I must say he's been a big influence ever since I started on electric. I will make the snare pop a little more to bring it out stronger in the mix.
@MusicalSound-- I appreciate that feedback and I agree a less artificial & more natural sound would bring this track to life. I listen to a lot of James Brown & I just wish someday a full horn section would show up on my doorstep! til then I'll be using loops unfortunately. I definitely won't be keeping the abrupt ending, that just happened to be the end of what I had so far; working on adding another section and chorus to lengthen. You think I should do a quick fade out for the official ending? still undecided on that piece.
@jimistone-- glad you dig it! its good to hear I could achieve a sound way beyond my years. A live horn section would have certainly made the vibe much sweeter. If only saxophones & trumpets were popular instruments in Indianapolis...seems like everyone plays guitar or drums these days.
@Bruthish-- great ideas for sure! I am attempting to work in a break-down stripping it down to the roots and like you said I need to work on the dynamics. I've been obsessing over Uptown Funk since it was released--laced with some great sections and soul power. You should check out the other Mark Ronson track with Mystical rapping on it-- "Feel Right"--funk to the core.

I really like the sound, great vocal and delivery. I think starting at about :43 the drums and horns drift in and out of time a little.

thanks for noticing I can definitely hear the bass speeding up a little off & on and I'm working on correcting that. I'll see what I can do to tighten up the drums & horn section!

this has lots of potential. the writing is definitely on par with that old stuff, you'd be surprised how the gear they used back then translated their ideas. it's got like an old Motown feel about it. the horns are actually fine, I mean what I'm supposed to give here my opinion on the mix or how I can improve it? I can't improve it, it sounds clear as day. mixes are all over the place. listen to barry manilow "even now" album from 1978 and it's very warm. then immediately switch to pilot "album of the same name" 1975 and it's like your ears are bleeding at how bright it is. To my mind very few times it happens that a mix is ear-piercing, but your mix is just bright, not painful. On the opinion side, if you could step back in 1969 and have this song done with that equipment and technique you'd have a real gem here. To my mind the recording equipment is just as important as the song.

This is a very cool sounding track. Not sure how I missed it.

I like the processing of the lead vocal quite a bit. Care to share how that was captured? Lead guitar is very cool as well.

The timing is off ever so slightly here and there mainly between the bass and drums I think. I mean, overall it's tight, but for this style, I think it needs to be super tight (the rhythm section especially), and in places it just drifted a bit.

Nice work!

thank you kindly heatmiser! Sterling Audio S50 with the Telephone Vocal effect applied in GarageBand. Wish i could afford a better DAW i guess Logic will be my next step I hear its pretty good. I definitely agree with the timing issues from the bass line. I am still trying to make it tighter right now its better than it was. I always have issues with quantizing notes on a bass line I play with midi keyboard. Not sure how to get it perfect how I would like it to be. I will post a revision of this song pretty soon with added bridge section hoping yall will dig it!

Back