New MP3 - Please Listen, thanks !

Mountaineer

OK, guys . . . I just placed a recently completed MP3 out there for your critical ears. The song is called "Model Man" and I wrote it for my Dad for Father's Day. It is on Xdrive ( username: PAPicker password: lespaul ). This is the LowFi version of the MP3 file . . . the HiFi version is 12Mb and I didn't think anyone would be interested in such a long download, but if there is an interest in HiFi, let me know, I'll upload it. I'm also placing an equipment-used list at the bottom in case you are interested.

The writing and recording of this song was an emotional process for me, perhaps the most I've ever experienced. I have to admit, though, that it was also the most satisfying, regardless of the quality of the piece. He enjoyed the song and got my message . . . and, to me, my goal was accomplished.

The motivation for this song isn't fully covered within the lyrics, which I have written below. You have to know my Dad to fully appreciate the meaning, but in a nutshell, in my whole life I never heard him utter a curse word . . . he never drank a drop of alcohol . . . never smoked . . . he never yelled . . . and I never heard him or my Mom, who passed away in 1986, argue or have a disagreement. Don't get the wrong idea here though, because he is not nor has he ever been a bible thumper. Although my mother was very religious and we were raised going to church on Sunday, my Dad did it for her. I only learned his true beliefs after she died. It was my Dad who prompted me to research religion on my own and find my own truth. Truth is an individual discovery and cannot be force-fed to world in the form of a sermon. My father is a prime example of being a genuine good person without the religious baggage.

As I look at my life now . . . the decisions I've made . . . my behavior as an adult . . . I look at my Father now quite differently than I did when I was younger . . . he is truly a Noble Soul.

MODEL MAN LYRICS
Verse1
I remember well riding on your shoulders . . .
at least till I was older, I did
You caught me when I fell . . . you held a firm hand,
but that same man could act just like a kid.
Verse2
You never missed a game when I played ball in the Summer.
It was such a bummer when school would begin.
You never called me a name. You always kept your composure
in any situation you were in.

CHORUS
So, tell me how to thank the man who made my childhood great.
It took me all these forty years and a life of stupid mistakes
to see you as a Model Man and a counsel I sometimes ignored . . .
to see you as a Noble Soul and the Father that I adore.

Verse3
It's never been the same since Mom left us all too early
and, sometimes in my hurried life, I forget.
Your only claim to fame . . . your only notoriety
is the Moral Man I see and the example you set.

EQUIPMENT USED
SoundCard(s) - Gadget Labs 824 : Digital Audio & TB Pinnacle: Percussion / Synth
Guitars - LesPaul, Yamaha acoustic, Memphis bass
Mics - AT 4033 vocals, AT4033 & MXL 2003 ( stereo ) acoustic guitar
POD - all electric guitars : Setting - tweed blues & bass : Setting - bassman
DBX 266 XL - Compression on Vocals & acoustic guitar

Regards,
PAPicker

Ok, is it me?...I've downloaded three times, and can only get 32 seconds of the tune....those 32 seconds were a really nice sound though......seriously, anybody else have a problem getting this to download?....gibs

Gibs > I ran a download test yesterday just after I uploaded the file . . . everything worked great. Thanks for trying . . . I'll email you the file if you wish . . . let me know.

Teddie > Yeah, its xdrive.com : Enter "PAPicker" in the username block and "lespaul" in the password block.The ModelMan.MP3 file is located in the [public] directory. Thanks.

If anyone else has trouble getting to this file or downloading, please let me know. It may be time to look for another server.

Regards,
PAPicker

The recording was pretty clean. Crisp acoustics and the vocals were solid. The percussion and drums were often early which was a little distracting and the guitars wandered a bit tempo-wise too. Practicing with a metronome sucks, but it can really help when it comes time to cut the tracks. You should easily be able to coax a couple of tears from 'im out of this one.

I cannot get this file. It gives me some weird error message - time for a new server for sure, check out I-Drive :)

pglewis,
Thanks for listening and the comments. Originally there was no percussion at all. The little I added was done one note at a time and is not that good. The entire project was finished in one night . . . I was in a hurry !

Regards,
PAPicker

Back