New mp3 - a blues shuffle

dabluesman

Its been awhile since I've recorded anything new so I finished this up last night. It's a SRV'ish, blusey shuffle instrumental called "DaBlues Shuffle". I recorded all the tracks direct through a Delta 66 soundcard. I wanted more of a "live feel" to it so I used more DSP/FS AcousticVerb (on the drum and guitar tracks) than usual. Anyways, I like the groove of the song. I'd like to hear any feedback ya'll might have.
Oh check out the song "Injured Hand", if you havent already. Its an older mp3 but still one of my favorites even though it's metal, not blues.

Simply right-click and save as on the song title at
http://www.dabluesman.com

Hey there dablues,

You're right, before i even read your post this was evoking thoughts of SRV to me. I thought the recording and performances were well done, everything solid. I felt the phrasing and return to themes developed in the guitar lines could use more variation as there could be more twist on them as the song progresses. The snare sounded nice to me, really sharp.

I like the laid back feel to the tune, you play behind the beat a lot and I like that. The bass sounds a bit boomy to me (in cans) Also the song gets repetative after a while. Has the makings of a good tune though.

Something has gone awry........I only got 1 second of download and it was done! I don't have very good luck with downloads.

Hey IanW-UK, is there really a place called Maidenhead? How cool that must be!

bd

You might of been downloading while I was updateing the file ;) it all should come through now. The bass always gives me the most trouble, probably because i'm mixing/mastering through an aiwa stereo system... I droped the bass tracks volume about 1.8 db and made a new mixdown, it seems to help a bit but the original version rocks in my car with two 12" subs :D Thanks for checkin' it out!

-dabluesman

Yo dablues

You got a sweet guitar tone there.
It sounds too much like stevie maybe.
I'd be interested to hesr what you sound like.
you obviously got tone mastered so you got a great jumping off point in the search for a personal sound.
I think the blues demands that we put an individual spin on it.

good Tune, I got you bookmarked dabluesman

Agree with Hevy on the individual part. The riff is not very economical and this works against it. Not bad though. The recording is clean, but I thought you could use another instrument in there to fill in some holes.

dabluesman said:
Its been awhile since I've recorded anything new so I finished this up last night. It's a SRV'ish, blusey shuffle instrumental called "DaBlues Shuffle". I recorded all the tracks direct through a Delta 66 soundcard. I wanted more of a "live feel" to it so I used more DSP/FS AcousticVerb (on the drum and guitar tracks) than usual. Anyways, I like the groove of the song. I'd like to hear any feedback ya'll might have.
Oh check out the song "Injured Hand", if you havent already. Its an older mp3 but still one of my favorites even though it's metal, not blues.

Simply right-click and save as on the song title at
http://www.dabluesman.com

some potential here. you need to work in some other licks. aeolian runs get boring fast. basically the whole song needs more variety.

Thanks for all the comments so far, I really enjoy the friendly criticism. I'm very happy about the guitar tone comments, I love showing off what the Cyber-Twin (and my strat) can do. I wasn't even going for a Stevie sound at first. That tone is just my favorite blues preset on the amp! It wasnt until the first time I heard the mixdown that I noticed the SRV likenesses. As far as individual tone goes.. I recorded the amp directly through the outputs, and "my" tone is what I hear through the speakers ;) though I havent quite figured out how to get "that" sound on tape (or hard drive..) yet. I have two sm57's but not a good mic'ing scenario & area.., but thats another subject. The song does get kind of repetitious but I did record the guitar against a high-hat loop just for timing (I added all the drums later), the phrasing and theme was spontaneous. I just played as I felt.. what is an aeolian? :D I love how easy it is to record those "spur of the moment" times when you get into a groove, and get a pretty good sounding mix when it's all done :)

I listened to this before work last night. Not bad at all for a jam. Nice tones, I like a little finer crunch on guitar over the more raw crunch. Bass was a little too roomy but fairly strong. Drums could use a little more definition and volume. Not steppin on the 5th was a cool tease and works real well, but after a while it needed to change a step for some variation.

youve got a .html link at the top of the page thus the 1 second download:D Might want to point out the link for the mp3 is below that with the other songs.

Great tone on the Guitar ,just a very slight tad too dirty! Excellent playing , very controlled and smooth. tight phrasing, what more can anyone ask. see 33 blues below :D

Ive got an ax2, and your cybertwin is the same type of fun, maybe better? Or maybe your just better, cant tell.

injured hand, Very nice as well.

33blues, way toooo short! killer tone!!!!

Thanks for the invite
Bill

Groovy man. Good tone and the player ain't too bad either. I use the cyber twin here also. SP/DIF out into Audiophile 2496. The biggest prob I have is the damn buzz from the computer moniter while I record.

Check out "Webster Street Shuffle" at my NoWhereRadio site below..

http://www.nowhereradio.com/artists/?aid=1338/singles.shtml

You can really hear the BUZZZ (I tried to keep it to a minimum and cut some of it out in cakewalk)

Sorry I hijacked your post DaBluesMan, Charva

Ahh the dreaded monitor buzz.. yes I know this. I fixed it (and greatly increased my guitar tone) by installing Bill Lawrence L-280 pickups in my strat & L-500's in my LP ;) Oh and turn away from the monitor when you play and try to be atleast three feet away from it :D Webster Street Shuffle, nice groove, kinda remindes me of the Grease movie :D I noticed some very high pitch freq's screeching out in places though (maybe the mp3 encoding?) :) I haven't used the SP/DIF, I've just stayed with the two XLR's into the Delta66. That 33 Blues song I did was mainly just an example of a Cyber-Twin clean setting, it is a great clean tone (with the pickup switch between the neck and middle.) I've done everything from clean to metal distortion with this amp :)

pretty decent bkues....not really what I'd call a shuffle but what the hell.
I thought the guitar was a bit too dirty but there was a distorted quality to the whole recording so maybe that was it.
I also thought that it got a little repititious and could use some variety, but what was there was a nice starting point. :)

Lt. Bob said:
pretty decent bkues....not really what I'd call a shuffle but what the hell.
I thought the guitar was a bit too dirty but there was a distorted quality to the whole recording so maybe that was it.
I also thought that it got a little repititious and could use some variety, but what was there was a nice starting point. :)

I think I went to far on the Loudness Maximizer and got that overall distortedness. I went back and lowered it a little, it should be more clear now. Thanks!

Back