New Motherboard, processor with OEM Windows XP?

Lorddiagram

Hello,

I recall somemone mentioning that some online retailer offer Windows with a motherboard/chip combo purchase. I am looking for one that isn’t over the top expensive, but is still an upgrade from my PIII 600mhz. I would like to get XP with the deal. Any suggestions? Are there any which I can still use my old PC100 ram?

Thanks,

lD

ditto newegg, if, however, you go with a pricewatch reseller make "DAMN" sure to check there rating at www.resellerratings.com there are quite a few crooks selling on pricewatch imho and experence, you may have seen tiger direct mentioned here or TCWO, thompsons computer wharehouse outlet...

Last edited:
Re: Can I use my RAM?

Lorddiagram said:
ANyone know if I can still use my 512MB of PC100 Ram?

Thanks

lD

most newer systems run DDR now, you'll need to find the highset mhz pc100 compatible motherboard if you go that route, it may cost as much to upgrade as a new system would but don't hold me to that one...

any reccomendations?

for a Motherboard-chip and ram combo that isn't over the top but still better than my PIII 600?

Thanks

lD

You can buy an OEM copy of Windows at any store. I was at Fry's electronics and I asked the salesperson what I had to buy to get an OEM copy of Windows XP Pro (about $50 less than the regular copy). He shrugged his shoulders and said "a couple of screws." I can't believe stores actually sell full copies anymore.

As for buying something that works with PC100 RAM, what's the point? A Pentium 3 1.0 GHz chip costs $94. In contrast, a 2.6 GHz Celeron costs less 89, and a Pentium 4 1.8GHz is only $20 more. 512 MB of DDR RAM would cost you around $70, and there are a million motherboards around $50 that would support those items. WinXP OEM with hardware is between $80-130 depending on the version.

It's going to be difficuly to find anything the supports the really old stuff (e.g. PC100), and if you can find new hardware that supports it, it might end up costing a comparable amount, due to obsolescence.

Charger - that's a trip..

Charger - I have just moved here - to Santa Cruz from Chicago - actually Boulder Creek. I may head up to San Jose to hit Fry's.

lD

Boulder Creek! Damn, you're living in the woods! And right in time for winter, too! Hope you're not too close to the "creek," it actually does overflow once in a while.

You know, I just put together a wicked system for around $1100, but I only bought a couple components from Fry's. Mainly hard drives: they always have really insane deals on hard drives, because they have all these crazy rebates going all the time. But I bought most of my components from a company called Monarch Computer Systems (I think that was the name) or something like that, in Georgia. They matched or beat NewEgg's prices, but there was no sales tax or shipping charges.

Speaking of Monarchs, now that you're in the Santa Cruz area, you need to get your butt down to Natural Bridges beach and check out the monarchs; they come in thousands every fall.

Santa Cruz

I may check Natural Bridgres this weekend.

Hey I'm looking to rent a room to mix in. Nothing fancy - Possibly split it with another person or band. Do you know of anywhere in the area who rents?

lD

charger said:
As for buying something that works with PC100 RAM, what's the point? A Pentium 3 1.0 GHz chip costs $94. In contrast, a 2.6 GHz Celeron costs less 89, and a Pentium 4 1.8GHz is only $20 more. 512 MB of DDR RAM would cost you around $70, and there are a million motherboards around $50 that would support those items. WinXP OEM with hardware is between $80-130 depending on the version.

It's going to be difficuly to find anything the supports the really old stuff (e.g. PC100), and if you can find new hardware that supports it, it might end up costing a comparable amount, due to obsolescence.

this is very true, if that cash is burning your pocket that bad use it elsewhere, you'll feel much better not respending it a few months or so later if you don't throw your box out the window over the ahem, 'foolish' move...

have you tested a 2+ghts system yet? you should...

sorry, jmho...

Not sure if you've bought or not, but there's a ton of online places near Chicago. I buy from a place call CPU solutions
( www.cpusolutions.com ) in Madison WI. If you ask for Fex Ex ground you'll see your stuff the next day, and they've been pretty good to me so far. Prices aren't the absolute lowest, but they're fast and are reasonable...

Back