New mic

hobo frank

I've just purchased the fmr nlp and nlc and am looking for a new vocal mic. Thinking of a sp c1 or tb1. All I have right now is a rode nt1 and I'm looking to upgrade. Are these going to cut it or do I have to go for more $. While I'm thinking of it. Do certain pre's match up better With certain mics and if so do the sp mics match well with the nlp. I hope this is not a stupid question.
Thanks FL

hobo frank said:
I've just purchased the fmr nlp and nlc and am looking for a new vocal mic. Thinking of a sp c1 or tb1. All I have right now is a rode nt1 and I'm looking to upgrade. Are these going to cut it or do I have to go for more $.

It might depend on what model you have. Some of the very first NT1s released were actually very good. Similarly, the newer NT1-As are pretty well-received. Somewhere in between -- as in over the last two years -- Rode changed the capsule and some of the electronics on the NT1, and they apparently weren't for the better.

I'm not sure all of the details, but I've heard some of the good NT1s (when they were first released), and they do indeed sound good -- surprizingly so, actually. And I've heard some of the bad ones made over the last two years and they do indeed sound pretty god-awful.

The only way to tell is to give it a good listen and A/B it with something else to know if it's going to be an upgrade.

As far as "will it be a good match" with the RNLP or whatever the heck it is :D, chances are any of the modern condenser mics you plug in to it should be a pretty good match. Most modern, transformerless condensers are not overly picky about what you plug them in to. Dynamics, some FETs, Tube mics, and especially ribbons are tougher to match with mic pres.

In the under $1000 mic category (more like under $700), I recommend the ADK TL or TC...both very nice sounding mics. Stomp the 414 B-ULS into submission (and I like the B-ULS better than the TLII). Compared to Rode, there is no contest IMO. Haven't compared them to the Audio Technica's yet.

Nathan Eldred
atlasproaudio.com

hobo frank said:
I've just purchased the fmr nlp and nlc and am looking for a new vocal mic. Thinking of a sp c1 or tb1. All I have right now is a rode nt1 and I'm looking to upgrade. Are these going to cut it or do I have to go for more $. While I'm thinking of it. Do certain pre's match up better With certain mics and if so do the sp mics match well with the nlp. I hope this is not a stupid question.
Thanks FL

I don't think the C1 or TB1 is an upgrade from the NT1 at all...

I had one of the "bad" NT1's.

Hobo, it's typically more useful to think in terms of "different",
rather than "upgrade" in the "affordable" ranges IMHO.
Even if you have a "good" NT1, you may want something with a less accentuated top end, like a TB1.

Chris

Re: Re: Re: New mic

cominginsecond said:
I assume you've used all three?

Yeah, I got to use the TB1 the other day, and I just soild my C1 and I still have a NT1. Now, do you have anything to add to this thread or are you just running up your post count?

Re: Re: Re: Re: New mic

DJL said:
Yeah, I got to use the TB1 the other day, and I just soild my C1 and I still have a NT1. Now, do you have anything to add to this thread or are you just running up your post count?
Neither. I just kind of detected someone talking out their ass. Apparantly I was wrong.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: New mic

cominginsecond said:
Neither. I just kind of detected someone talking out their ass. Apparantly I was wrong.

Yeah, this thread has nothing to do with your B3 want-to-be B1... but, what the hell........ tell them to get a B1 anyway, you know, just for good old times. LOL See ya!

new mic

chessparov said:
I had one of the "bad" NT1's.

Hobo, it's typically more useful to think in terms of "different",
rather than "upgrade" in the "affordable" ranges IMHO.
Even if you have a "good" NT1, you may want something with a less accentuated top end, like a TB1.

Chris

Thanks for the input Chris. I think I might just Try one of the TB1's and see how it sounds. I think a tube mic might be a good addition.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: New mic

DJL said:
Yeah, this thread has nothing to do with your B3 want-to-be B1... but, what the hell........ tell them to get a B1 anyway, you know, just for good old times. LOL See ya!
OK, and you keep on recommending the SM57 and overemphasizing the importance of kick drum mics.

Hapless Newbie: "I need a mic for vocals, acoustic guitar, amps, percussion and drum overheads. What should I get?"

DJL: "Get an SM57 and a kick drum mic."

Hapless Newbie #2: "I need a mic for violin and choir."

DJL: "Get an SM57, but make sure to buy a $2000 per channel mic pre for those sources. Otherwise it'll sound like crap. Also, make sure and get a kick drum mic."

Hapless Newbie #3: "I need a mic for mandolin."

DJL: "Get an SM57 and a kick drum mic."

And on and on and on. Yeah, I tend to recommend the B1 for newbies, but that's because it works well on a lot of different sources, and that's what newbies want. Why do you think so many of them ask "What's the best mic for under $100?" It's because they want one mic that will work well on almost everything, and the B1 fits that description.

If you say another thing about my B3 not being a B1, you're stupid. They're close enough for me to make a thoughtful recommendation.

Hobo, there was a "demo" TB1 for $200 on the www.pmiaudio.com
website a while ago. Might be worth contacting them and/or keepin an
eye on things there. Let us know how you like the "tube version" of
the B3-oops I meant B1. :)

Chris

hobo frank, I think the TB1 is muddy and the C1 is too bright and harsh and neither were very smooth IMO... but, please let us know what you end getting and how you like it.

PS... as Flatpicker said below..... the C1 and NT1 do sound pretty close, but still different, and I too prefer the C1 over the NT1 but not enough to consider it a big upgrade over the NT1. And I prefer the Marshall MXLV67G over the C1, but it's not enough to consider it a big upgrade over the C1.

Last edited:
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: New mic

cominginsecond said:
If you say another thing about my B3 not being a B1, you're stupid. They're close enough for me to make a thoughtful recommendation.

Your either deaf or full of shit... and I don't care which one it is. And it's time you quite trying to ruin good threads like this one. I just put you on my prick list.

Last edited:
FWIW I once compared an older NT1 to a C1 on vocals. They actually ended up being way closer than I thought they’d be (which is why I didn’t keep the NT1 – what was the use?) but the C1 won out because it was little clearer on some notes.

Also and again FWIW, I’m hard pressed to find a better all around mic for under $300 than the SP B3. People keep suggesting this mic or that, but none of them have bass rolloff, selectable patterns, and excel on both vocals (male & female) and instruments. I generally prefer the B3 over the B1 because it sounds a little fuller in the mid-range and is not as sibilant. My $0.02

Originally posted by cominginsecond
So, if I disagree with you I'm "ruining" a thread. All hail King DJL!

Read the thread. It's obvious you have NOT contributed anything of worth to this thread... and that your only trying to ruin this thread by trying to get me to engage in an argument with you.... and that's not going to happen. So with that said........ Good Bye.

Back