New mic

billabob

WP_20131231_005.jpg

So i Just got me my first real proper mic!

Anyone got any tips on how to use the mic to its full potential?

Im going to be doing mainly acoustic guitar and vox on it for now but abit of electric guitar aswell!

Tips on using it to its full potential? Use it on EVERYTHING. At all distances. In different rooms. After a while you'll know how that particular mic behaves and howto get the most out of it.
Acoustic guitar? What body size? Dreadnaught, Grand Concert? A safe place to start would be at the neck/ body joint (12th to 14th fret). Back about a foot or so. Experiment. There's LOTS of good reading in the stickies here about recording just about anything you can think of.

Billabob....track rat is right on.......Having recently picked up 2 condenser mics all I do is experiment......it is crazy how much difference a little movement can make.......it's like music....there is more than one way all the time!!! Once you know the mic better it becomes an important tool to help you enhance your sound.....best of luck to you!!

Definitely learn the mic in and out. Practice with all kinds of different mic placement techniques and figure out what the mic sounds like and how it works. This will help you get your recording quality right at the source.

Back