New mic suggestions

Well, you said you like Rode mics. Get what you like. Or stick with your NT-1000 if you're happy with it. Don't necessarily need to fix what ain't broke.

I'll sell you my NTK for $400. I like the groove tubes more. Until I got the Gt 1B's I used the NTK all the time

Yo Coldash!
1. The Avalon is a respected unit, but I think you should consider separate compressor and EQ units combined with a straightforward preamp, which will allow you to use your compressor and EQ section on stuff that you don't want to run through the Avalon. If tubes aren't the issue, and you just want clean natural gain, consider Avalon M5 or Martech (to die for). If you really, really, want a channel strip, the 737 is a pretty good one.

2. Sure NTK is fine, I use one quite a bit. I think you are limiting yourself severely by limiting yourself to Rode. Consider Studio Projects T-3.

3. Listen to Middleman. The BX5's are surprisingly good monitors at their price point, but they are designed to work with the SBX subwoofer. Without the sub, your bass isn't there. I use SP5B's (basically the same as BX5 with minor differences), and when I added the SBX, my sound and mix translation improved 100%.-Richie

Back