New Mic Setup

raximus

Hey everyone, i am upgrading my Microphone set.

At the moment i have an Shure SM57 and the Shure MGDPK6 pack for recording my drums.

I want some microphones of higher quality as i wasn't happy with these microphones.

Can anyone suggest some for under 1500 that can also be used for micing guitars?

I am also going to get a large diaphragm condensor, i was thinking maybe the Rode NT1A for vocals.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

thanks

James

Mic drums for $300

Hi,

Hope you're still around. Gets kind of lonely in these threads sometimes.

Here's my drum kit.

Audio Technica ATM25 kick mic. Also a good gp mic for low frequency instruments.

An Audio Technica Pro 37 and a Pro 37r for overheads. These are the same mic. I contacted Audio Technica tech support about this. These are also wonderful general purpose SDCs for acoustic instruments, piano, etc.

Shure SM57 for snare. The industry standard. Also good for guitar cabinets and live vocals.

I got my SM57 for free right here on homerecording bbs. You already have one so we're equal.

I actually paid under $200 for the other three mics but I'm a patient and aggressive ebay shopper. Nonetheless you should be able to get all three under $300 easily enough.

Ask around. This is a very high quality professional kit. If your drums sound good and your drummer plays good you should be able to get great recordings with these four mics.

Thanks,

Hairy Larry

Hey everyone, i am upgrading my Microphone set.

At the moment i have an Shure SM57 and the Shure MGDPK6 pack for recording my drums.

I want some microphones of higher quality as i wasn't happy with these microphones.

Can anyone suggest some for under 1500 that can also be used for micing guitars?

I am also going to get a large diaphragm condensor, i was thinking maybe the Rode NT1A for vocals.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

thanks

James

my gut reaction:

audix d6, akg d112, or shure beta 52 for kick: $200
sm57 for snare and electric guitar cabinet: $0 since you already have one
mxl 603 pair for OHs: $200
akg B-XL II for acoustic and voice: $1000

done for $1400 without even shopping for bargains. you could do better on ebay/craigslist.

Wow, that's easy, and tough at the same time, because:
1- You're talking about enough money to actually do something, and-

2- There's a bunch of different ways to spend that money that would work just fine.

I'll take my best shot at it. There are some things that are obvious that you need, and some things that are not that obvious. For sure, you need a matched pair of good small diaphragm mics, first for overheads, and then for acoustic guitar. Second, you need a dedicated kick drum mic. Third, you are talking about a condenser for vocals. And I frankly believe that you need a nice dynamic, as a snare alternative, for toms, some vocalists, and as a guitar cab mic. I'll start by admitting that I am not in the SM57 is the hottest mic on earth for cabs and snare camp. However, I do believe the 57 is useful enough, and is worth so little used, that you are better off hanging on to it than selling it.

What I don't want to do is spend so much money on those overheads that you don't have enough left to do the rest. So- I'll approach it this way- let's do the rest first, and then see what we can do with the remaining money. I'll do it the hard way, which means new mic prices. Of course, you can do better in used mics, but you can also get screwed.

OK, kick- I like AKG D112- Good on kick, bass cabs, standup bass. Everyone has their preferences, and that's just mine.-$200

Dynamic mic- Sennheiser MD421- In my opinion, the mic SM57 wishes it was. Great on snare, great on cabs, great on voiceovers, very good on certain vocalists-$380 In this role, I would recommend Shure SM7b, but the damn thing is so big, it's hard to use on snare, because it tends to get smacked.

Condenser- this is tough, because you could spend a ton of money and not be anywhere near top of the line. For a mid-priced mic, I like Rode NTK. It's a good vocal mic for many vocalists, and is also good on acoustic guitar. It makes a good room mic for drums. There are many other alternatives- Shure, Audio-Technica, etc., but what the hell, it's my best shot- $525

That leaves us about $400 for a pair of overheads. For $400 or under for a matched pair, I like Studio Projects C-4 - $400 for the matched pair. Other options include Marshall MXL 604's, which are only $200 a pair. For slightly over $400, Rode NT5 is an option- $430

For new, that's what I would do.

That said, this is what I would really do-

I'd buy the MD421 and the D112 used, which would drop the prices to more like $250-300 and $150 respectively. I'd buy the NTK new, and I'd get a matched pair of Oktava MK012A's from The Sound Room for $489. The Oktavas are great overheads, and pretty good on acoustic guitar, but The Sound Room is the only outfit I would trust to sell me a matched pair that aren't defective or Chinese fakes. Best of luck with your final decision-Richie

I recently saw Best Buy (Yeah...they sell music stuff now) of all places put the MD421 on sale for $225...I wish I could have got there before they sold out.

I also got a line on Shure KSM32 mics on a blowout deal...they are renaming the whole line and changing the color.

The TC mics are supposed to be really great, though I have no idea what the three mic package costs. I would suggest definitely go with a d6 or similar, a great snare mic (sm57 or audix i5) and some great overheads (maybe a pair of shure sm81's or something). For toms, that is a harder question. I like a good large diaphragm condenser for some toms and for others something like an md421 sounds awesome. If you have little left over, get a decent sdc for the snare bottom.

Personally I havent heard the Audix D6...but Ill have to find one and give it a listen.

My advice here is to go ahead and think of the recording artist whose drum sound matches what you are looking for...find out what they used on the session...then get those mics...used or new...that is how I approach things...you sound like you have enough scratch to get a decent set.

I just go with several SM57s and an at pro 25...with a variety of overheads options...it does a decent job.

Back