New mic, new room

Dj17

I never recorded through microphones. I owned an electric guitar and a bass and I could always record easily through a multitrack recorder, which was owned by our band singer, who did all the vocals himself. Now that I started writing/playing/recording on my own, I need to do vocal recording, and maybe some acoustic guitar too (but mostly vocals.)

My voice has a LOT of bass in it, and when I say a LOT, it's much, much more than the average guy voice has. I know it WILL sound like it has a lot of bass in it, but I don't want the microphone to make it any worse. If possible... make it better would be cool, if you know what I mean.

Buying a decent microphone is rather new for me... If I'd be recording through a M-Audio DMP3 preamp and an Audiophile 2496 soundcard... if I need to record vocals and sometimes acoustic guitar (separatedly but on the same mic)...

What mic shout I get? From what I read, SM57, SM58, Strudio Projects B1, Behringer B-1 are quite good for my price range... which would you suggest?

I read the faqs on dynamic and condenser, but how does the room affect the quality of the recording with a condenser mic? Because I might move soon and the room I'll be in will suck (well at least, comparing to what I'm in at the moment), and I don't want the quality of the condenser mic to play against me more than it probably would with a dynamic, considering the room (it has some echo and I don't know if I'll be able to totally get rid of it). What would your opinions be?

Get a dynamic? Get a condenser? Get a condenser and MAKE the room better? or... Idiot, buy whichever you want and MAKE the room better anyway because it's absolutely necessary?

get a condenser and don't get too close to it. The closer you get to a (cardioid) mic, the more low end.
Fix the room.

Back