New Members: Introduce Yourself Here!

Hey all

Not an expert.
Either as a player or at recording.
Hobbiest at best.

I use Tascam.
Actually started out on the cassette ones back in the dark ages.
Now I'm on a DP02 (8 tracks not sure why the name)
I will upgrade to a DP24 soon.
I have no idea how I used to use a 4 track but then Sgt Peppers was 4 track.
I am totally ignorant about software.
I tried audacity once upon a time but the latency was horrible.
i know now that there is a fix for that but by then I had just bought a tascam rig which I more or less knew from before.

Hey all

Not an expert.
Either as a player or at recording.
Hobbiest at best.

I use Tascam.
Actually started out on the cassette ones back in the dark ages.
Now I'm on a DP02 (8 tracks not sure why the name)
I will upgrade to a DP24 soon.
I have no idea how I used to use a 4 track but then Sgt Peppers was 4 track.
I am totally ignorant about software.
I tried audacity once upon a time but the latency was horrible.
i know now that there is a fix for that but by then I had just bought a tascam rig which I more or less knew from before.

Welcome! The DP24 is sweet. The DP02 is good as well. I hated to see it get discontinued. Check out Reaper for your DAW. Stay away from Audacity if you want to get past the harry homeowner stage, with your music or recordings.

Welcome! The DP24 is sweet. The DP02 is good as well. I hated to see it get discontinued. Check out Reaper for your DAW. Stay away from Audacity if you want to get past the harry homeowner stage, with your music or recordings.

Thanks!
I'll have to check out reaper.
For now I've been fine with just the Tascam unit.
But I know that transfering tracks over to a laptop and using DAW would offer a lot.
Just a matter of climbing that hill in terms of the learning curve.
I'm just glad when I get a day to play in my little "studio".
I went with Audacity originally because I was using Linux.
I knew right out of the box that it was not as user friendly as a real commercial software product.

I'm upgrading slowly.
I just bought a Electro Harmonix Synth 9 to play with.
Still waiting for it to get here.
I've been wishing I played keyboards to add some other textures.
Watching the video for the synth 9 it looks very interesting for that.
Before that it was a TC Helicon vocal processor for vocal harmonies and that added a lot.
But now I'm wanting more tracks.
Hence the 24. That's next.
From the looks of things I've stumbled onto a great resource here with this forum.
I'm sure I'll make good use of it.

Cheers

Hello good people. i am new here, but think I may have been a member a long time ago, or perhaps a similar forum. My name is John, pretty old now, with lots of experience in home recording/ servicing amps, computers, guitars etc.etc. My past work was as an AV Technician/ Sound Recordist/ Computer Network Admin/ musical instrument technician/ Lighting Technician, all in School environment. I have been a semi-pro musician all my life, mostly Bass and Guitar, and also build Guitars as a hobby. i started out home recording with a Sony 2 track with a sound on sound capability, then a 244 Portastudio, then a Tascsm 688 , moving on to various programs on computers to do this. My preference is for Garage Band for almost everything, but I did buy Logic Pro and Protools, but find the latter two just too complicated for my needs. I hope to be of some help to people here starting out, or be able to learn some things/opinions on recording at home. Brilliant forum so far.

Hello Bikerdude, I too am a new member and I understand what you say ! i am at present trying to resurrect my old Tascam 688, just for the simplicity(?) of using analogue again. i loved that machine, but it is not very well at the moment. i am searching for help with it, but its hard to find people using one.

Hello good people. I got a wee bit confused about how to introduce myself, and posted in the wrong place I think.
My name is John.
I have been involved in Home recording since the 1970's and been employed as an Audiovisual/computer technician for the last 25 yrs. I have also been a semi-pro musician all my life, as a bass player and guitarist mainly.
My first recorder was a Sony 2 track with sound on sound facility.
Then i had a Tascam 244 Portastudio.
I then bought a Tascam 688 recorder and Atari computer for midi , using Cubase.
I have since moved on to using both Mac and Windows machines with a variety of programs , including Logic Pro, Protools. I prefer to use Garage Band for my simple productions, and also use a program by Jam Origin , called MidiGuitar, which allows me to play keyboard type things on my guitar. I do play keyboards, but only at a basic level. I have just bought an electric drum kit just to get a better feel on recording drums at home, rather than loops. (this is harder than I thought ! My appreciation of real drummers has gone up 1000% ) . I hope to be of some use as a source for information and look forward to all sorts of discussions on this forum. It looks really good. Is there a way to subscribe/ contribute something to keep it in existence ? I don't mind paying for good services.
Hope to hear from some of you , someday.
John Mackenzie
Scotland.

Is there a way to subscribe/ contribute something to keep it in existence ? I don't mind paying for good services. Hope to hear from some of you , someday. John Mackenzie Scotland.

Welcome John. I am working on a video concerning the features of the vBulletin software used by HomeRecording.Com. I have no authority here, but a good way to contribute is by using their affiliate links for the ads you see displayed. I should have the vid up withing the hr that explains this. Again, welcome to the community! :thumbs up:

Hello good people. I got a wee bit confused about how to introduce myself, and posted in the wrong place I think.
My name is John.
I have been involved in Home recording since the 1970's and been employed as an Audiovisual/computer technician for the last 25 yrs. I have also been a semi-pro musician all my life, as a bass player and guitarist mainly.
My first recorder was a Sony 2 track with sound on sound facility.
Then i had a Tascam 244 Portastudio.
I then bought a Tascam 688 recorder and Atari computer for midi , using Cubase.
I have since moved on to using both Mac and Windows machines with a variety of programs , including Logic Pro, Protools. I prefer to use Garage Band for my simple productions, and also use a program by Jam Origin , called MidiGuitar, which allows me to play keyboard type things on my guitar. I do play keyboards, but only at a basic level. I have just bought an electric drum kit just to get a better feel on recording drums at home, rather than loops. (this is harder than I thought ! My appreciation of real drummers has gone up 1000% ) . I hope to be of some use as a source for information and look forward to all sorts of discussions on this forum. It looks really good. Is there a way to subscribe/ contribute something to keep it in existence ? I don't mind paying for good services.
Hope to hear from some of you , someday.
John Mackenzie
Scotland.

Hi John
Looks like a lot of new people coming in.
Your experience is way more that mine. I have about zero experience with any software.
MidiGuitar sounds interesting.
I wonder how it stacks up to the Electro Harmonix pedals. The "9's" series.

Cheers

Last edited:
Thank you for accepting me as a member.I am absolutely new in this field and using forums. I do my practice recording at my untreated bedroom at night for low outside noise. Recording is done with Samson C01 USB microphone and my Dual core Laptop(6yrs).
My query is, while listening to CD music, or YouTube videos through my headphones(Sen's 280),loud music is heard even in low volume, about 30% of speaker output, but while listening to home recorded music, I need to push up the volume to about 85-90% to get even lesser volume, how to solve this ? Please help

Hi Noel. The recording level for a USB microphone is set in Windows (7?) Sounds & Devices. The problem is, if you crank it too high noise, hiss even whistles can intrude, this is a consequence of some USB mics and the cheaper USB mixers.

The solution is an Audio Interface and a conventional microphone. You could get the Alesis i02 Express and Small Diaphragm Capacitor (aka 'condenser') mic and XLR cable for under $200. That might be a serious expenditure for you but believe me, you will struggle with lesser kit.

Dave.

Hi Biker Dude. I have no knowledge of Midi type pedals. Try the free version of Midiguitar first. I think you will be amazed.

PS Just realised something. MidiGuitar is a computer program for either Mac or Windows, not like a pedal type thing you could plug in to a recording machine.

Last edited:
Hello all. Been into singing for a few years and basic 2 track karaoke recording with Reaper. Started with a $15 headset, cheap laptop and reaper. Upgraded to a 2i2 and sm57 with a fethead. Know absolutely nothing about eq or the inner workings of the daw except how to tweak eq and reverb and a few basic things, but this has been sufficient to get some decent sounding stuff. Looking to expand my knowledge and spending wisely when choosing future equipment. See you in the forums.

Greetings all! Glad to be here to learn and get my own home recording done properly. Currently have a dedicated 12x24 rehearsal/recording studio running Focusrite Saffire pro40 and Logic Pro X. I look forward to participating and bugging you folks for knowledge! Later

Hello everybody.

I'm very much a beginer learning some music production with FL Studio and Ableton. I'm mostly trying to make Electronic music inspired by Boards of Canada, Kraftwerk, Aphex Twin, Depeche Mode and AIR kind of sounds with a huge interest in all styles of music from Hip Hop, Funk, Classical, Rock etc.

I'm just running off my laptop using a Akai Mini MPK MKII with sustain/footswitch.

I joined so I can try learn and share anything I learned as a noob, myself.

Look forward to mingling here :)

Last edited:
I'm a new member but I'm also an OLD rockabilly finger picker. I'm always wanting to discover new music from unknown musicians as I'm not fond of the "pro" sound alike stuff on the airwaves. I've been spending a good deal of time discovering Asian Prodigies and have decided that burning my guitars in the winter to keep warm wouldn't be a big loss after hearing some of those kids play.

I listen to movie sound track mood music, fusion, Rockabilly, and I played country music professionally for a number of years. My music is a bit different and when asked what I'd call it I reply "Confusion", naturally. I have already checked out some guitar pickers on here and they are quite good.

I never sang before, even to myself but when I couldn't get someone to sing the songs I write, I found "singing" to be a necessary evil. Microphones terrorize me but I do what I can. I hope no ones ears get damaged on my account. :)

Howdy. I've been playing the flute for a number of years just for fun. I don't read music and my playing is mostly in a church worship / small group environment. But I have the opportunity to be more involved with it now and I need to figure out how to get my set up set up. My issue is that when I am there trying to play my flute with guitars and drums, I am drowned out. Now I could play louder and, because it is a different sound, it can still be heard. But I have difficulty hearing myself and need to figure out a monitoring setup. Is there any way to play my music through a lapel type mic and be able to hear it through my own headphones? I'm sure there are many ways, so I'm open to any and all suggestions.

Thanks in advance.

Jeff

Hello fellow home recording people,

My name is Daniel Hillshafer and I am 36 years old, an avid musician, and aspiring music professional. My principle goal is to run a professional production company some day. I will share my personal creations here as long as I can expect to receive brutal, unbridled critiques and honest recommendations. I am currently working with PreSonus Studio One 2 professional but have experience with Sonar, Tracktion, Pro Tools, and Cubase.
I have played guitar for 27 years, and have been a gigging musician for 22 years. I've been a conspiring recording engineer for 14 years. I have an Associates in Music Technology, a Bachelors in Marketing, and am currently enrolled in an MBA program with a concentration in Music Business through SNHU and Berklee College of Music. Credentials are nice but what I'm really wanting is the fellowship and experience that only a community of enthusiasts like this one can provide. I look forward to learning from all of you!

Hello fellow home recording people,

My name is Daniel Hillshafer and I am 36 years old, an avid musician, and aspiring music professional. My principle goal is to run a professional production company some day. I will share my personal creations here as long as I can expect to receive brutal, unbridled critiques and honest recommendations. I am currently working with PreSonus Studio One 2 professional but have experience with Sonar, Tracktion, Pro Tools, and Cubase.
I have played guitar for 27 years, and have been a gigging musician for 22 years. I've been a conspiring recording engineer for 14 years. I have an Associates in Music Technology, a Bachelors in Marketing, and am currently enrolled in an MBA program with a concentration in Music Business through SNHU and Berklee College of Music. Credentials are nice but what I'm really wanting is the fellowship and experience that only a community of enthusiasts like this one can provide. I look forward to learning from all of you!

Welcome Daniel.

Many of us here are in the same boat man. We just share what we know and learn from others.

Look forward to seeing your presence here man. :)

Jimmy

Hey People!

I'm from Norway and new to the world of music production. However, I'm working in a hi-fi shop and have always been indoctrinated with good (imo) music from home. Previously I've been playing a little guitar but as I moved to the capitol og Norway the world of electronic music has really caught my attention.

I hope to learn a lot of stuff and get inspired to make music and grow as a musician.

Best regards,

Knut

Hi Friends..........You can just call me Opossum. I'm a songwriter and guitar player but I am HORRIBLE about anything electronic.
I am in old-school as far as home recording but am hoping to get some help on here with some new equipment I bought.
I appreciate any help you folks can be.......:-)

Hey guys. New member here. Completely ignorant about recording right now, but hope to learn what I need to set up a decent low-budget home studio and record my own music.

Back