New Members: Introduce Yourself Here!

...... oh and get closer to the mics, although I'm not sure about tht...

Getting closer to the mic is very good advice. It will help you get a stronger mic presents while recording in a un-treated room as well as decrease echo, reverb and flutter. Just sayin, besides, what have ya got to lose by trying it?

Hey Jimmy,
Thanks for your response, it was helpful. Now I have another problem. I have a song fully recorded in my fantom g8. It has five tracks piano, violin, flute, trumpet and another piano. I want to record each track separately in Cubase so I can then engineer them later. I am able to record the first track "piano" with no problem in Cubase in track 1; however, when I tried to use track 2, 3, 4, and 5 in Cubase to record any of the remaining tracks, I get no signal. I can hear each instrument perfectly in the headphone, yet, Cubase acts like it can't hear them let alone record them.

Note: I am assuming that Cubase should let me record each instrument track from the fantom individually giving each part its own track in Cubase.

Any idea what is going on?
thanks
Tony

I'm not much of a MIDI guy man. :(

Can you output the separate instruments from your Fantom and record each one individually? Your UR22 only has two inputs. So for a stereo track you can only track one stereo instrument at a time from the keyboard output if you want to have them separate.

Look into this. I am in session now so don't have the time to look into your G8. I will do later if I don't hear that you found results.

I am able to record the first track "piano" with no problem in Cubase in track 1; however, when I tried to use track 2, 3, 4, and 5 in Cubase to record any of the remaining tracks, I get no signal. I can hear each instrument perfectly in the headphone, yet, Cubase acts like it can't hear them let alone record them. Note: I am assuming that Cubase should let me record each instrument track from the fantom individually giving each part its own track in Cubase. Any idea what is going on? thanks
Tony

Most multi track recording requires an ASIO file. I have not played with cubase in a while but somewhere, maybe under options, you should find something that says ASIO for your input. If not, you can try installing ASIO4All. Like @jimmys69 said, it may also depend on your G8 output features.

Last edited:
ASIO is only the audio driver. ASIO4ALL is not going to help here. The Steinberg UR22 driver is the best bet. I think the issue is that the interface only has two inputs. So only one track can be recorded in stereo at one time from the G8 into Cubase with the UR22.

I only mentioned it @jimmy69 as I had a similar problem with my alesis 8 channel USB mixer/interface. I had to install the asio4all file to get a left channel and right channel to show up in Reaper. It would read something like codec 1 and codec 2 but when you would record on channel one, it would record on channel 2 as well and vise versa. Once I installed the asio file, it gave me a true left and right channel. Maybe the OP can export in mono and then convert in Cubase?

I only mentioned it @jimmy69 as I had a similar problem with my alesis 8 channel USB mixer/interface. I had to install the asio4all file to get a left channel and right channel to show up in Reaper. It would read something like codec 1 and codec 2 but when you would record on channel one, it would record on channel 2 as well and vise versa. Once I installed the asio file, it gave me a true left and right channel. Maybe the OP can export in mono and then convert in Cubase?

The Alesis mixer has no proprietary ASIO drivers as far as I remember hearing. It needs to use ASIO4all.

Always best to use the true ASIO drivers from any interface.

Yeah, that's exactly what I want to do is to output the separate parts from the fantom and record them individually. I have been setting each track up as mono not stereo, could that be the problem?

thanks
Tony

Check that the input channels are set to the correct input bus.

Connect the L/R outputs from the G8 to the inputs of the UR22.

Go to Devices>VST Connections>Add Bus. Add a Stereo Input bus. Make sure device port has Ur22 input 1 left and input 2 as right. Do this only once.

Then Project>Add Track>Audio>Stereo.

Go to the Inspector window for the created track (furthest left pane in project screen) and select the stereo bus. It's the Icon that kinda looks like this: >]

Repeat this for each track. You will only be recording one stereo instrument at a time as you only have two input channels with the UR22.

Hi everyone,

I'm Michelle from the UK. I've always written songs (pop, ballads, indie etc) but love electronic music too, so have recently taken the plunge into production, mainly so I can have more input into the creative/recording process, and also to improve my technical skills. I use Ableton with a Mac Mini, Fostex monitors, E-MU soundcard & EM-U and Akai controllers - a starter kit essentially, but I will upgrade at the right time. I'm definitely a 'get the most out of what you got' musician!

I recently released the first track I have produced and mixed myself, so will be heading for the mixing clinic for some feedback in due course. Just surfing around the forum it seems a very helpful, friendly place so look forward to dropping in again. And I'll just nip off now to reply to the guy confused about what to do with loops - I'm no expert but I'm happy to pass on some thoughts/ideas to consider.

Good to meet you all.

Oh you have a thread for introductions, I've never seen that before. Im Symph, I make rock music, I am a one man band so to speak, and I love old school music from the 60's and 70's above all, my current kick is new wave/punk. Little confused how this forum works, thought I was getting no responses since I never saw any numbers go up in my notifications but maybe I was.... Production is something I'm ok at I suppose, but I feel like I need a lot of work before trying to release anything, I hope to be able to produce myself within a few months though, that's my goal anyway, maybe being here will help. Looking forward to meeting you all :)

Hi everyone,

I'm Michelle from the UK. I've always written songs (pop, ballads, indie etc) but love electronic music too, so have recently taken the plunge into production, mainly so I can have more input into the creative/recording process, and also to improve my technical skills. I use Ableton with a Mac Mini, Fostex monitors, E-MU soundcard & EM-U and Akai controllers - a starter kit essentially, but I will upgrade at the right time. I'm definitely a 'get the most out of what you got' musician!

I recently released the first track I have produced and mixed myself, so will be heading for the mixing clinic for some feedback in due course. Just surfing around the forum it seems a very helpful, friendly place so look forward to dropping in again. And I'll just nip off now to reply to the guy confused about what to do with loops - I'm no expert but I'm happy to pass on some thoughts/ideas to consider.

Good to meet you all.

Welcome Michelle! Good to meet you as well.

Most all of us here are willing to help anyway we can. Also a few grumpy guys. Ignore them. :)

Oh you have a thread for introductions, I've never seen that before. Im Symph, I make rock music, I am a one man band so to speak, and I love old school music from the 60's and 70's above all, my current kick is new wave/punk. Little confused how this forum works, thought I was getting no responses since I never saw any numbers go up in my notifications but maybe I was.... Production is something I'm ok at I suppose, but I feel like I need a lot of work before trying to release anything, I hope to be able to produce myself within a few months though, that's my goal anyway, maybe being here will help. Looking forward to meeting you all :)

Welcome to the site Symph! I haven't seen you in posts but I have been very busy with my own projects and a bit neglecting my time here with the family. Look forward to hearing from you.

Welcome Michelle! Good to meet you as well.

Most all of us here are willing to help anyway we can. Also a few grumpy guys. Ignore them. :)

Honestly I'm still figuring out how this works, not sure if my alerts don't work or if I'm missing something, I just keep thinking I have no alerts but then when I go to my posts people have responded, I'll be more active when I get a handle on managing my posts/responses but thank you for the welcome! Hope to become an active member :)

Hi , I like writing music, recording myself and others, and sometimes internet collaborations on songs. I have a very modest bedroom studio set up now. I'm semi-retired musician that gigs part time. I'm putting most of my time, and interest into recording my music and others.

Back