New Members: Introduce Yourself Here!

Hello all,
I am Pablo, and I landed in this forum after spending some dollars unwisely. Eager to learn from you guys.
Thanks in advance.

Hello,

My name is Allen and I live in Western Canada. I have been in AV industry as a Technician for about 22 years. I currently work at a University doing Live Streaming. I am new to the home studio thing but have been doing live sound off and on for years. Building a basic home project studio in my office space at home. Nothing extremely fancy and is mostly just for fun. I got some cheap gear and am now looking for an Audio Interface and Microphones to add to my set-up. I do play guitar poorly (Its a also a newish hobby) so it will also get recorded at some point. Maybe even do some of my buddies bands.

Last edited:
Hello,

My name is Allen and I live in Western Canada. I have been in AV industry as a Technician for about 22 years. I currently work at a University doing Live Streaming. I am new to the home studio thing but have been doing live sound off and on for years. Building a basic home project studio in my office space at home. Nothing extremely fancy and is mostly just for fun. I got some cheap gear and am now looking for an Audio Interface and Microphones to add to my set-up. I do play guitar poorly (Its a also a newish hobby) so it will also get recorded at some point. Maybe even do some of my buddies bands.

Hi Allen and welcome.
I am going to bore everyone rigid by once again suggesting the Native Instruments Komplete Audio6 as the best interface for the money (£160 ish here).

As well as having two excellent mic/line/instru' inputs on the front it has two more balanced line ins at the rear which would take the Mix8 giving you two more mic inputs, 4 tracks, plus the convenient connection of other gear. Also have S/PDIF and MIDI.
Comes with a lite Cubase which is nevertheless very powerful and should see you right for a good while. Reaper is also worth a look.

Mics? Very personal things but an SM57 is handy(!) and I strongly recommend one, better two, Small Diaphragm Capacitors. But I dare say you can "borrow" stuff and see what works?

Dave.

Will your garden studio be fruitful, that is the question. :)
Welcome aboard. Read stickies, ask questions, post examples. Have FUN!

Hi Allen and welcome.
I am going to bore everyone rigid by once again suggesting the Native Instruments Komplete Audio6 as the best interface for the money (£160 ish here).

As well as having two excellent mic/line/instru' inputs on the front it has two more balanced line ins at the rear which would take the Mix8 giving you two more mic inputs, 4 tracks, plus the convenient connection of other gear. Also have S/PDIF and MIDI.
Comes with a lite Cubase which is nevertheless very powerful and should see you right for a good while. Reaper is also worth a look.

Mics? Very personal things but an SM57 is handy(!) and I strongly recommend one, better two, Small Diaphragm Capacitors. But I dare say you can "borrow" stuff and see what works?

Dave.

Thanks Dave!

All my buddies recommend a couple shure beta 58's...what's your opinion? I did take the plunge early and picked up the Tascam US-16X08 from AvShops...should be here tomorrow or Tuesday. I had a couple CAD mics in the past...all around 100 bux. Nothing fancy. They were decent for the low dollar price tag. Rode makes some nice stuff...we do use Rode capsules on our sennhieser (sp)wireless at work and it is truly amazing. Out of my budget range right now.

P.s. - Just checked out the Komplete 6... Nice. Really nice! It's about $275.00 Canadian. I got the Tascam for $329.99 and its rack mountable (biggest draw for me).I recently got a Reaper License, I hear great things!

Last edited:
"
All my buddies recommend a couple shure beta 58's...what's your opinion?" I am not the guy to ask but there are plenty here who will know. The Betas are tad more expensive than the old warhorse 57/58s, I dare say there is a reason!

As I am sure you know! Dynamic mics tend to be used up close or for loud sources, amps, drums and for more "gentle" sounds the capacitor comes into its own. Capacitors also have a much smoother and extended frequency response, especially the low frequencies and of course are some 20dB more sensitive.

That Tascam is the replacement for the very well received US1800 which a lot of guys here use. The new boy has not attracted any adverse comment so far as far as I know.

Good luck Allen, have fun!

Dave.

Hey guys, just signed up. Really trying to get into production as I feel it's the one piece of making music I've been missing. I'm a songwriter, drummer, guitarist, bassist, and I mess around with other stuff too. I recently purchased a focusrite scarlett 2i2 audio interface and have a focusrite condenser mic it came with along with a shure sm57. I use Cubase LE AI Elements 7 for the demos I'm trying to lay down. I hope I learn a lot from you guys.

Hey everyone. My name is Mike (the screen name is an old, old inside joke and not a very good one), I'm living in the Milwaukee area, and I have played guitar for about twenty years, and about ten of those I was doing live sound engineering as well. I had keys to the guitar shop at 16 years old so I've been around the industry for awhile, but I'm just now at a point where I want to concentrate on writing, recording, and performing again. I figured as part of spring cleaning this year I'd completely clean out my studio, which opens me up to get some acoustic treatments done, and I'm bringing my DAW and such up to speed as well. Thanks for the excellent resource.

Hi,

My name is Paul Cating and I'm a film and games composer, singer/songwriter, and Jazz drummer. I love writing, recording, and engineering!

Cheers!

Hi everybody!! My name is Zach and I'm new to all this music stuff, just trying it out! Check out my latest post and let me know what you think!

Hey there!

I wanted to say hi to everyone and introduce myself. My name is Karri and I´m a freelance audio engineer from Finland. I record, mix, edit, master and produce as a job and also as a hobby :)
I play some guitar, bass and drums. At the moment I´m in melodic metal band called MindMirror as a guitarist. I also have just started another band where I play the drums...it will be an interesting crossover type of band where we play all kinds of music with an acoustic guitar, bass and drums (also metal, haha!). We are currently recording our debut album.

You´ll find some of my work on our website here. HallaFreakquency is the name of the music production team I´m a part of with two other people. I have just started writing a recording blog that I might share here some day if I´m brave enough :)

A few new users here, welcome, welcome and welcome!

Domenick, check out the "Studio build" thread for some ideas on studio building. Post in there if you have specific questions about building a studio and are looking for advice. There's a nice thread with pics of other's studios that might help you get an idea of how to use your limited space.

Thanks Xcaliber, that's super helpful! I like just looking through the pictures in the 'let me see your studio!' thread. I might even post a picture of the studio I was working on before I moved.

Hey all!
I am probably older than most of you, and a girl to boot :eek: But with all that disclosed :) I retired and completed my home studio this year. Great studio, pro tools 11, husband built me a "bad boy" computer to handle the load. I took one bedroom and completely renovated into home studio. I have put quite a bit of money into this project with my goal being doing voice over work, and recording some music. But I have to tell you I have all this time and equipment yet I am just at a stand still. Voice over work, I'm finding isn't that easy to get. Pro tools is a really steep curve software program. I am struggling getting it under my belt. But probably most of all is I am finding my inspiration lagging. Now I am beginning to doubt why in the world I did all this. Any ideas or words of encouragement are welcome! Just need some help to get my "groove" back.
Here's some pictures. KatStudio booth.jpgstudio.jpg

Back