New Mackie 1402-VLZ Pro connections

Evildick

This is my first mixer and I'm still running back and forth through the manual to get it hooked up correctly. I know this is one of those questions that keeps popping up and must annoy the heck out of ya. Here goes.

Equip:
Echo Layla24
Roland XP-80
Mackie 1402-VLZ Pro
Mackie HR824's
P4 DAW running SONAR 1.3
Waves Gold Native Bundle

Current inputs to mixer:
Guitar -> 1402 line-in ch.4
XP-80 (L) -> 1402 line-in ch.5
XP-80(R) -> 1402 line-in ch.6

Outs from mixer:
ch.4 insert (2-clicks) -> line-in 1 Layla ->SONAR line-in 1
ch.5 insert (2-clicks) -> line-in 3 Layla ->SONAR line-in 3 }record
ch.6 insert (2-clicks) -> line-in 4 Layla ->SONAR line-in 4 /

Back into mixer:
line-out 1 Layla -> ch.7 1402 line-in (guitar MONO)
line-out 3 Layla -> ch.9 1402 line-in (Roland stereo L)
line-out 4 Layla -> ch.10 1402 line-in (Roland stereo R)

Then I assign the ch.7,9,10 to the main mix to and record off the Main-Outs to line-in ch.7-8 Layla to do a final mixdown back into the DAW.

Is this a sensible way to do this or am I missing something that would introduce a feedback loop engaging ALT 3/4. I've traced the diagrams in the manual out and it looks alright but I'm not sure. I tried to make this as clear as possible, but any help on this would be appreciated. In fact, could someone please throw me a bone here? :) Thanks for your help.

Dick

Last edited:
outputs

makes snese to me. i have the 1202 vlz pro mixer. i have my main outs going to my soundcard. where r u outputting from your mixer. u said into 3 different inputs in your layla, but the mackie doesn't have an ouptput jack for each channel. do u assign these in sonar?

Hey rlimon!

I have posted this so many times...here it goes again!

Just use the 4 inserts on the rear till you reach the first "click", don't plug em full inside...there you have the first 4 channels.

Then use Alt outputs 1&2 on the rear and mute channels 5&6 in the mixer and pan nº 5 hard left and nº 6 hard right...there you go with channels 5&6 (if you mute them, the signal is routed to the alt outputs...)

Then you can assign tracks 7&8 to the master output and pan 7 hard L and 8 hard R and use the main output for each of them... you have tracks 7 & 8...you still have a Cue Mix output...

good routing can help!

Peace...

PC

Another option would be to bypass the mixer at the recording stage. Run your synth direct into two inputs on the layla and then use it's software routing, send it back out to the mixer for monitoring. Sonar doesn't have a export mix, or 'mixdown audio' option?

Thanks for the help

I feel like a fool since I had read your rec. (Power) on how to hook everything up. It just didn't click so I figured my setup would be more complicated.

Thanks again

Dick

Back