New Interface

guitargirl7

I'm in need of a new interface to plug my guitar and mic into, and am unsure what to purchase. I plan on purchasing PT10 (student version) tomorrow, and know that I will need something that avid produces to work with PT DAW. I haven't been able to find something I can trust with my own research, so I've decided to ask you all.

Extra info:
-I'm working with a PC, using win 7 (64-bit)
-I need to plug my mic into a "3 pin" xlr input
-I'm simply recording guitar and vocals
-budget for interface: open for all suggestions, but mainly around $100-2--

Please let me know your thoughts and questions,

Thank you!

Last edited:
You didn't mention a budget number, but I assume you're wanting something fairly simple. That may limit you to an M-Audio interface with an LE version of Pro Tools. If you hit this link at Sweetwater, it organizes the Pro Tools selection very nicely:

Pro Tools | Sweetwater.com

The M-Audio LE package has XLR inputs.

Last edited:
okay, I'm not that experienced in home recording and I wont be able to help you a lot here, but I know that standard xlr cables are very common, and are used for many mics and interfaces.

You didn't mention a budget number, but I assume you're wanting something fairly simple. That may limit you to an M-Audio interface with an LE version of Pro Tools. If you hit this link at Sweetwater, it organizes the Pro Tools selection very nicely:

Pro Tools | Sweetwater.com

I'm going for around $100-2--... It all depends. Basically, I don't want to spend money on something that I'm going to end up replacing/wasting money on in the future, lol. What would you suggest?

Thank you!

if you're getting full PT's 10 anyway then the world is your oyster in terms of interfaces!

For at least two in's, my advice is still either the focusrite scarlett 8i6, focusrite saffire 6, presonus audiobox, or Maudio Fast track.

As far as the focusrite products go, would they be able to work with PT's? I've heard that you can only use avid products with PT's, such as mbox, ect... Unless focusrite products are from Avid and I just didn't know, haha.

they should be fine if it's the full version of PT10 rather than MP or SE or LE or whatever stripped down versions. PT9 and 10 went "native" so that you don't need the avid hardware to make it work.

this is what the Avid Website says;

(half way down the page in the link)

Third-party audio interfaces
With Pro Tools, you get the flexibility of using the software with practically any audio interface you already have or want. For ultimate quality and performance, choose an Avid interface or bundled hardware/software solution above. Or pair Pro Tools with any other audio interface that supports any of the following drivers:

ASIO
Core Audio

they should be fine if it's the full version of PT10 rather than MP or SE or LE or whatever stripped down versions. PT9 and 10 went "native" so that you don't need the avid hardware to make it work.

this is what the Avid Website says;

(half way down the page in the link)

Third-party audio interfaces
With Pro Tools, you get the flexibility of using the software with practically any audio interface you already have or want. For ultimate quality and performance, choose an Avid interface or bundled hardware/software solution above. Or pair Pro Tools with any other audio interface that supports any of the following drivers:

ASIO
Core Audio

Thanks for finding that for me! I'm actually purchasing the student version of PT10... Will that make a difference?

i don't think it does, i think it's just the pricing that is different (although i may be wrong) i work at a college and the student or academic versions of stuff we've bought have been the full versions just cheaper. may be worth reading the manual just to check but i did a quick google and couldn't see any differences

I have an older Focusrite Saffire 24. The preamps are great! My friend uses a Scarlett 8i6 right now, and loves it. It does work with Pro Tools.

I'm happy to hear so much good about focusrite products... I've never heard of them before. What do you think about the Scarlett 2i2 as suggested in a recent post?

I've heard good things about Focusrite (though never used them) but can also recommend the M Audio Fast Track Pro.

Now, just to confuse you, is there a specific reason that you're going with Protools 10--or is it just that somebody told you it's "industry standard" or something? If the latter, consider some of the other options. The User Interface on a DAW is that main thing--and a very personal choice. Different people get on with different DAWs--I used various versions of Protools at work for many years and could use it quickly and well...but, for me at least, I found the user interface clunky and awkward. When I started doing home studio stuff, I chose a different DAW (Cooledit--now Audition) despite all my years experience with PT. In fact, this made things worse because I kept missing my Cooledit every day at work!

I'm not saying buy Audition--it's more for editing than musicians--but I do strongly suggest you download the free trials of any DAWs that offer them and see what suits you best. Certainly try Reaper--you may find you like it better than PT and save a lot of money!

I'm happy to hear so much good about focusrite products... I've never heard of them before. What do you think about the Scarlett 2i2 as suggested in a recent post?

I am possibly the awesomest member here and my opinion is final.

Get the Focusrite Scarlett 2i2. I have one. It's ...well, awesome. :)

Forget wasting money on PT - get Reaper instead ( use the protools skin if you must ).

and with an avatar like that i'd have to agree :)

the 2i2 is awesome and super quick and simple to setup and use, but the scarlett 8i6 does have 4 in's (two with built in pre's, two without) and 4 out's as well as SPDIF in if want to add another 2 in's via spdif.

at the end of the day, just go with whatever DAW you're comfortable with. it you're happy with PT's then go for it. Reaper is awesome but like all DAW's it has it's quirks that if you work that was is great, if you don't then it can be frustrating. the same goes for Logic, cubase, tracktion, studio one, etc etc

He makes up words that turn up in the dictionary the next day.

His presence causes peace in all the forums on HR.

He is CFox, the awesomest member here.

"Stay awesome my friends." :drunk:

Back