• Tascam FW1804

Votes: 4 11.8%
  • PreSonus Firepod

Votes: 12 35.3%
  • Other

Votes: 11 32.4%

• Total voters
cowboyj said:
I did know about the mkII only having 2 preamps, but thanks for the heads up. :) I'm not quite ready to make a move on anything yet, I still need to get a little more money together. If you did decide to sell the mkII and the Digimax together, what would you be looking to get?

On another note, I've found a few options for a PCI Firewire card for my desktop, but I was also wondering if anyone could recommend a cardbus card for use with my p4 laptop?

Thanks

Jason
Well, basically I'm trying to decide whether or not to just sell all my recording gear and focus just on the music itself. I'm a guitarist who happened to get interested in recording on the side, but I'm finding that it's taking away from my time, my focus and my financial resources that I previously dedicated just to practice and performance.

So really, I wouldn't look to be getting anything else. The proceeds of the sale of this equipment would go to the "New guitar amp for Sile" fund :)

You might want to look at some of the Firewire cardbus units over at WeibeTech. They can be a little more expensive, but they are very high performance and work with practically everything.

darkecho said:
can you bypass the pre's in the firepod or any of these others?

Channels 1 and 2 on the Firepod have inserts...I'm wondering if using those would bypass the onboard pre's. It seems they would, but I can't verify it.

As an additional thought, I started with a M-audio 1814. I sold it and recently purchased a MOTU 896hd. The 896HD provides 8 XLR/TRS ins and outs, ADAT in/out with meters on all channels including the ADAT ins. The trim affects the signal before it hits the converters along better control of clipping. I love this unit so far. They're a little more expensive new, but you can find used ones in the price range of the 828. I got mine for $750. Absolutely love it. I couple it with a Behringer ADA8000 for 16 simultaneous XLR/TRS inputs. Worth a look. Check it out here: http://www.motu.com/products/motuaudio/896

Jonathan

I would look at the Yamaha i88x. Its considerable cheaper than everything else listed here and has everything you need with excellent pre's to boot. 18 inputs (8 analog i/o, spdif, adat) for $399.00.

I have the MOTU 828mkII which I've been very happy with. I have it in a little 2 space rack case with a Behringer ADA8000 for the added mic ins. I've used both with Sonar, and with the included Audio Desk on a Mac, and stand alone without a computer too. The CueMix interface is great, and it even has talkback/listenback capabilities.
The first DAW I ever experienced was Digital Performer 3, and I've always been a big MOTU fan.

Having said that, if I had to do it over again now, I would buy the Traveler (it's wasn't out when I got the 828mkII).

Just make sure you have the updated drivers, I had some issues getting the talkback feature to work, but it was corrected when they came out with newer drivers.

altitude909 said:
I would look at the Yamaha i88x. Its considerable cheaper than everything else listed here and has everything you need with excellent pre's to boot. 18 inputs (8 analog i/o, spdif, adat) for $399.00.

Yikes! I wouldn't recommend it at all!

I had one and returned it 48 hours later for a Traveler. The Yammy specs great, and the preamps do sound very nice (based on the DM2000 console). However, the whole MLAN thing is an absolute nightmare - at least it was for me. It took forever to load up, I had to reconnect the damn driver every time I wanted to switch sample rates, and all kinds of issues that made it a hassle for me.

It has been discontinued, so they will probably go down in price as time goes by. Open box specials at Sweetwater for $359 last month if you're really that much of a glutton for punishment...

Back