new home recording studio...help!

normerly

I want to setup a home studio, nothing too fancy, especially easy to use for recording. Have looked at recorders, tascam and fostex 8 tracks and effects pedals, boss gt-8 and line 6 POD. I was recently told that it would be just as easy to download a recording program and purchase an external sound card that would allow me to plug guitar and mic into it, also, that I may not even need to buy effects pedal because effects can also be gotten in software.
Can anyone set me straight on all of this, I'm confused as to which way to go.

thanks

If your going to record your just your instruments id say go with sony acid....But if you want to record instruments and vocals id say cool edit/adobe audition

If you've got a little bit of cash go with a firepod[8 channels] and Cubase [$400] or the firebox[2 channels] and cubase [$300] its incredibly easy to start with and expand. I can't believe the quality I got out of just the bare bones set-up, just the interface and a few mics. I looked back at some of my first novice recordings and i couldn't believe the quality i got even back then. It's a great way to start and i still use the firepod to this day.

-Barrett

There's probably 10,000 different directions you can go. I suggest you start reading, learning and start out buying one thing at a time and buy things you will keep for awhile and you can add onto to build your hobby.

Bahahahah... I'm pretty green to recording and still agree with that. Reaper is a much better choice.

I also use REAPER. :cool:

But I'm trying to figure out why the other guy said that one is better if you're just doing instruments and another one's better for doing vocals and instruments. :eek:

Last edited:
Back