New here

B-man_88

Hey all,
Just spotted this site while doing some researching on home recording.

Here is my problem. I am recording through a Tascam 424mkII, to an M-audiophile sound card in my computer. I am using Cubase as my software. What I am trying to accomplish is getting a little more power behind the vocals. I am using a Condensed Microphone by Marshall. It has the phantom power and all that. I was considering buying a mic pre amp. Preferrably a tube one. Just wondering if anyone has experienced this and has any solutions. Thanks for your time.

B-man_88 said:
Hey all,
Just spotted this site while doing some researching on home recording.

Here is my problem. I am recording through a Tascam 424mkII, to an M-audiophile sound card in my computer. I am using Cubase as my software. What I am trying to accomplish is getting a little more power behind the vocals. I am using a Condensed Microphone by Marshall. It has the phantom power and all that. I was considering buying a mic pre amp. Preferrably a tube one. Just wondering if anyone has experienced this and has any solutions. Thanks for your time.
I know nothing of your recording interface, but will assume it has phantom as you are getting a signal....correct? :confused:
Are the vocals loud enough, just not sounding good? If that is the case, you probably just need to try some processing stuff on them. Some compression will help even out dynamics, and then maybe some delay, or reverb, or chorus to help fatten them up. These are just some basic suggestions, as it takes more than this to get really good vocals, but it might be of some help...
Ed

my setup is quite similar. I can't really know exactly what your problem is w/o hearing it, but here are a few simple tips.

When you are recording the vocals, don't be afraid to peak past +6, figure out how far you can go until it starts to distort, then drop it just below that.

When using the 424's preamps, its a good idea to do a high and middle low eq boost, to compensate for the muddiness.

Check your mic positioning. I generally keep about a forearm's distance between the mic and the mouth; also make sure you are singing into the front of the microphone. (up into it at an angle is usually how I do it.)

I have an m-audio DMP3 pre-amp, that I use for just about everything. It's no tube pre-amp, but it's better than the internals on the 424. And for under $200, it's pretty sweet. It will make your vocals sound better.

But if you are really wanting a more tube sound for your vocals, the studio projects VTB1($100) is something you should look into. It's got a tube blend knob on it, for going from solidstate to tube sound, and all in between. I've got one of these as well, and it's nice for vocals.

I hope some of that helps direct you towards more powerful vocal sound.

peace.

Thanks all....

I haven't experienced the EQ too much on the 424. I was recording the vocals very dry. Wasn't using any EQ when recording. Maybe I should use a little. The eq on the cubase program, isn't the greatest. I am gonna try a tube preamp I suppose as well. Wan't a little more warmth with the vocals and acoustic guitars.. Voice ain't the greatest. Gotta cheat all I can. haha..

Thanks again all.

Back