New here....Looking for mixing help

bluegrit

Hi all.
I have been recording at home for a long time but never really quite got it down yet. I record mostly Bluegrass stuff and wondered if anyone here would help me get my mixes sounding better. I have been pulling my hair out trying to get my song to sound like a real mix but it ain't workin'! I am at the end of my rope. My main problems are the upright bass and vocals. For bass on my own stuff I usually use Spectrasonics Trilogy bass module. (a VST instrument plug-in) I can't seem to get it to sound right at all...either it is too bassy or it just disappears. I have eq'ed and compressed it to death and can't seem to get it. It is not just the fake bass I have problems with. I have the same issues with a real upright.

So anyway, like I said, I am at my wits end with this (been at it for MONTHS!) and need some help. If anyone here would be interested in helping me I can send the raw files and you can have a go at it and tell me what you did. I don't want to post the tune for everyone to critique because I would rather work one-on-one with someone who is familiar with the Bluegrass genre and what the recording should sound like.

Thanks

Back