New Head

cubanorocker316

Ok. im gonna hold off on the half stack for awhile and ust stick to buying a good head, i was wondering if any of you had any in mind , i dont care if its tube or solid state, as long as it sounds good. Im playig metal on it, also alot of clean riffs. so yeah i was thinking about the line 5 vatte head buit its a bit too expensive, i was thinking more in the 500-800 dollar range so if anyone has any suggestions, please tell me thanks in advance

- Lou

cubanorocker316 said:
Ok. im gonna hold off on the half stack for awhile and ust stick to buying a good head, i was wondering if any of you had any in mind , i dont care if its tube or solid state, as long as it sounds good. Im playig metal on it, also alot of clean riffs. so yeah i was thinking about the line 5 vatte head buit its a bit too expensive, i was thinking more in the 500-800 dollar range so if anyone has any suggestions, please tell me thanks in advance

- Lou
I mean to say line 6 vetta head*

good head = tube head

good tube head = more than 500-800 new but you might be able to swing something used...

think about looking for a used Mesa Boogie Single Rectifier...forget that it's 50 watts...you're never gonna need to put it to 5...fact.

that'll give you teh crunch you want, and clean sounds...

but make no mistake...a good sounding cabinet is just as important...

A good cab is just as important as orknork suggested. That being said, what are you going to run the head through as a speaker? I had a similar plan to you a few years back, buy a head first, then cab...kinda drifted away after a while and got board of going through a shotty PA for the time so i sold it and settled for a combo.

For your price range you may have to look into the used gear category. Personally i've never had any issues with used gear, just test out gear where possible and go for tube also if you can.

i would totally shoot for a used tube head

peavey 5150 would be a good choice if you can find one...the mesa-boogie suggestion would work well, also

another handy trick: if you're buying from a shop, ask to demo the amp with new tubes, and save a few bucks extra to get the new ones if it needs it

if you're buying from an individual, still do the same thing - take it to a shop, and see if they'll let you try it with fresh tubes, and tell them you'll buy the tubes if the amp sounds good

i've had my amp for 3+ years, and haven't changed the power tubes yet, and it's starting to sound like total mush. no attack, no definition, no sustain - and i know that a fresh set of tubes will change that instantly

I don't know what the price would be like, but if you could find a used Marshall JCM 800, get it retubed and recapped, and you would be pretty damn happy.

Remember, simple amps sound better, so the fewer things it can do, the better. Mater Volumes amps are evil, but can be tolerated. Tone stacks are fine, but they shouldn't have more than 3 controls. Channel switching amps never sound as good as non-switching amps.

Light

"Cowards can never be moral."
M.K. Gandhi

Back