New Guy

Layth

Hello! Its been 12 years since I've done any recording but after discovering this site I think its time to jump back in and go the digital route. btw Dragon I think you should consider renaming this forum to Baptism by Fire or in deference to S8-N, Lake of Fire, where we offer up our egos for kindling! Actually you guys seem pretty understanding and constructive. Unlike most of you I am not a musician but I have a good friend that is and its for John that I did a demotape about 12 years ago. I used an Akia MG614 4 track cassette deck, an Alesis Midiverb II, Roland D-50 keyboard, Alesis HR-16 drum machine, Shure SM96 condenser, an Amiga 2000 using Bars and Pipes sequenser and of course I mastered to a Sony Beta deck! Museum pieces now. Johns music is kind of Chris Isaak, ya know like ballads. John does all the musical chores (uses the synth for the bass) except for one song that Im posting here,where he used a friend that was a dang good sax and flute player. Its a modem bustin 4.7megs but this sax players worth it. John paints great verbal pictures for any aspiring song writers and his song Dream is a good example. I didn't use any compression on anything back then and the drums really suck but we have access to some good musicians now and I hope to really do some great recordings in the future with your help. Well enough excuses , take a listen and tell me what you think. Welcome to the Ballad lands.
Thats 4.7megs the other
is 2.8meg.

PS Oh yeah Slacker thanks for the tip on Juston! and also I had to use an old cassette copy into my computer because my beta VCR is broken so the noise floor is a little high. I forgot to say these songs are posted with Johns permission, they are copy righted.

[This message has been edited by Layth (edited 11-12-1999).]

[This message has been edited by Layth (edited 11-12-1999).]

[This message has been edited by Layth (edited 11-13-1999).]

You forgot the slash-slash in the address after the http. D/L ing it now.
Liked 'em both. I thought that "Dream" was a better tune (my personal tastes I guess) but the production/ musicianship was far better on "Badman". That flute was nice.
Looking forward to hearing your new entries.
Hope you get a drummer or put some more time into programming the drum machine. That canned sound really detracts from the fine vocals and instrumentals.

[This message has been edited by drstawl (edited 11-12-1999).]

To the good doctor. Thanks for the kind words and welcome. We gave my 11 year old daughter a set of Yamaha Stage custom drums for her birthday, she has a knack, not good enough to fill in yet but we know some good drummers who will. Now I've got to learn to mic drums!

PS: Doc, what you got a T-1 line? or DSL? You seem to get these things in a hurry!

[This message has been edited by Layth (edited 11-13-1999).]

Back