New Guy

Giant_Kyle

Hello all. I've been interested in recording for a long while. Well, now i want to do it. I was looking at the PreSonus Fire Pod, eight mic pres look nice to me. any reccomendations/ideas/tips/tricks are appreciated.

I will be recording many different types of music so let me know if the presonus isn't what i need. From praise/worship to screamo/hardcore. Thanks guys.

Kyle

If I had it all to do over again, that is exactly what I would get.

Currently running an M-Audio Firewire 410 with Protools M-Powered. The M-audio unit has been nothing but trouble since day one, and their tech support actually told me "sorry, that's not our problem".

You'll need to upgrade from Cubase LE to record more than 4 tracks simultaneously though.

i was looking at the 1010LT, but through talking with a local guy he told me with what i want to do the firepod would be more than enough to start. anyone know if the firepod will work on a linux box?

Also, is there anything comprable to the firepod in the same price range?

Don't think you'll find any software that will work with Linux..though I may be wrong. You should be able to find that in system requirements. I haven't seen anything with 8 ins with 8 preamps and 8xlr's in that price range.

Good step from the M-Audio 410 although to me its a step down from the Presonus model. It doesn't have 8 XLR's, just 2. The others are TRS I believe.

sixways said:
If I had it all to do over again, that is exactly what I would get.

Currently running an M-Audio Firewire 410 with Protools M-Powered. The M-audio unit has been nothing but trouble since day one, and their tech support actually told me "sorry, that's not our problem".

You'll need to upgrade from Cubase LE to record more than 4 tracks simultaneously though.

I use Cubase LE and can record all 8 inputs on the firepod simultaneously

okay, u guys think i should just get 2-3 each of the Shure 57s and 58s? what about a snake? etc. I have the desire to get into this, just no real background in recording.

logie48 said:
I use Cubase LE and can record all 8 inputs on the firepod simultaneously

It's not supposed to be able to do that?!!?

SE is the step up that lets you do that, and LE is advertised as 2 simultaneous ins. Wierd. What is your set up like?

Pete

sixways said:
Don't think you'll find any software that will work with Linux..though I may be wrong. You should be able to find that in system requirements. I haven't seen anything with 8 ins with 8 preamps and 8xlr's in that price range.

I don't use Linux (except for servers), so I can't say for certain. That said, I'd be very surprised if the Linux kernel folks hadn't figured out how to drive the FirePod yet. It's a standard FireWire AVC device (*), just like a video camera. If Linux supports audio/video capture from a camcorder... well, the FirePod just looks like a mini-DV camcorder, except with twice as many inputs. It works in Mac OS X without drivers.

(*) A custom app would still probably be needed to switch it from internal sync to S/PDIF if you aren't using Mac OS X or Windows.

EDIT: Apparently, Linux driver maturity isn't as far along as it used to be. Anyway, the folks at http://freebob.sourceforge.net/ have something that reports to at least partially work with the FirePod, and Presonus is reportedly being supportive as far as documentation goes, so I'd imagine it won't be too long before it is solidly supported.

Last edited:
thanks. now what would you guys reccomend for mics? i will probly get some 57s and 58s for live stuff. but i want a decent condencer for studio stuff. but i can't spend a whole lot of money. Thanks!

battleminnow said:
It's not supposed to be able to do that?!!?

SE is the step up that lets you do that, and LE is advertised as 2 simultaneous ins. Wierd. What is your set up like?

Pete

simply go to devices > VST inputs and activate all inputs including the SPdif if you need it

i have recorded drums on 5 tracks + guitar and bass

another clue, when the input activation is done, open a new 24 audio track recorder. click on audio track 1, then channel and set the input to, IN1 if recording in mono, or IN1 + IN2 in stereo, then go to track 2 and set it to IN(whatever) and all the way down. note for this to work all inputs must be activated as stated before. hold 'ctrl' and click on all the tracks you want to record simultaneously, click record and your away

Giant_Kyle said:
thanks. now what would you guys reccomend for mics? i will probly get some 57s and 58s for live stuff. but i want a decent condencer for studio stuff. but i can't spend a whole lot of money. Thanks!

for that i would start a new thread on the microphone section.

there i will get flamed though. i have heard mixed things about the 57s and 58s. but they can't be bad if they're so popular.

Giant_Kyle said:
there i will get flamed though. i have heard mixed things about the 57s and 58s. but they can't be bad if they're so popular.

Famous quote from the New York Times:

"DOS Computers are by far the most popular, with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans, on the other hand, may note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans, and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form."

Just because the SM57 and SM58 are popular doesn't mean they're good. They are, at best, so-so mics for recording, IMHO.... They're very popular for live gigs, as people are willing to tolerate a mic with no high end in a live show. I'm sure there are some instruments with excessive high end (or no high end) for which the SM57/58 would work well. I haven't found them yet, though.... :D

Usb

My current set up is some shure sm57's, a Lexicon Omega (not bad), a behringer 10 track mixer (for drums) and Adobe Audition 1.5. You can hear my stuff at www.myspace.com/illegaltonerecordings it's not bad, but I'm currently upgrading to a firepod and probably a 24 track behringer mixer. It's not the best quality, but it works, I'm only upgrading so when I record more than my projects I'll be taken more seriously.

Back