New guy here w/ a few PC questions.

MannaZen

I just found this site a few days ago and have been living on the search function! Very cool site all! I got almost all of my questions answered so here is one I could not find.

I just got a new PC for audio recording. What i want to know is will I be able to edit 8-10 tracks in one song without it going crazy? I have a Delta 44 so what I will be doing is recording 4 tracks, then a few more, and so on. I know on my home computer (AMD 750 w/ 128mg. 20gig) it runs a little slow and dropsout if I do any more then 5 or 6 w/ plugins.

Ok here is what I got! Be nice!

AMD 1.1ghz
256mg ram
40 gig hd

Those are the basics (im still learning about this whole computer thing)

So whatta ya think all? What I am trying to do is record some decent demos for my band. Thanks for you help

I'm using a 1.2ghz Athlon based system with 256 meg (I have more memory but my VIA based MOBO won't run right with two mem sticks) and have run Sonar with up to 70 or so tracks running at once. The problems occur when you start running plugins as they eat CPU. I'd be tempted to boost the mem in your box but what you have will work. Again, I find memory to be less of a problem than CPU. Any dropouts I've had were when that Sonar CPU meter starts getting maxed.

It will help a lot to have a 2nd hard drive just to store your audio on so that when Windows is fiddling around it doesn't affect your streaming audio.

Sounds good guys. I am bidding on a 80gig right now so hopefully that all goes well.

So is this how my PC would lay out?

C:/ 40gig - all my programs
E:/ 80gig - store my projects

Back