New guy here needs some help! (please read)

JacksonMan

First off i just want to say i am glad to find such a booming community about home recording. In advance nice to meet you!

I have been reading a lot on home recording lately as i am interested in starting to learn how to record. I have been using acid pro for about 3 years just using loops and trying out all of the cool things acid does. My buddy and i started some what of a "band". Its something we do on the side to just have some fun. The way i have been doing it is using acid pro and using the stock computer mic to record the amp and the drums and the voice. (boo on the mic... i know :() Basically what i have been doing is playing all of the instruments and just recording over them and making them sync perfectly to eventually make a decent song.

My issue:
I am looking to get a little professional with the idea and looking to maybe work on stuff with friends start a new group or do some solo stuff. My main concern is how this will happen. I want to keep the same techniques that i have been doing if possible by using acid pro and recording one track at a time. I am all for looking for a new technique if there is a better way. I just think thats the easiest way for me.

So i have been reading and i am concerned that i have jumped the gun a bit. I spent some good money on some mics and a mixer and a preamp. Recently i read this "class" on what everything really does.

www . tweakheadz . com

I have come to the conclusion that i may have spent money that i did not need to spend. I am also thinking that i may have bought the wrong things for what i want to do.

What I bought:
Behringer Xenyx 1202FX
Now, i honestly don't even know if i need a mixer. I purchased this one because i want the 4 tracks so i can be set for the future.

MAudio-MXL-990991-and-Audio-Buddy-Package

M audio buddy with mics. I really bought this because 1. I didn't realize that the mixer had a preamp in it 2. for mics that i read were really good mics i thought for the price this package deal was great! Remember I know that I will need the mics but still not certain if I need the preamp or not.

I also spent another 100 dollars on cables stands and a pop filter.

What I would really like to know: (main questions)

1. Is using acid pro the most efficient way of me recording if I am playing all of the instruments?
2. Is that gear worth keeping.
3. Can you suggest better/easier to use gear for the price?

I might be able to return all of this in 30 days.

To close such a long post (sorry) I want to say thank you for at least reading. Also thanks for any help!!!:D

EDIT: I cannot use the url tags because my post count is too low. I am sorry for inconvenience. I bought everything off of musicians friend.

I guess the short answer would be that you really don't need the mixer to continue to piece together recording in the same manner (track by track) but with better quality...

What are you using for a soundcard? I bet the money you spent on the mixer would be better spent on a soundcard upgrade...

Its a Creative SB live! series (WDM)

How would i be able to record guitar without putting a microphone next to the amp. My amp gives off a pretty loud buzz i would not want to have in the track.

Looking at what you've got... and what you're doing... I'd say you're in good shape for now... with the exception of the mixer... send that back. You don't need it for what you're doing and sticking it in your signal chain just because you've got it is only going to degrade the signal.

I think you'll be very happy with the improvement... until you're not anymore... then you'll step up to the next level... that's where the tough decisions begin...

Work with what you've got for now...

Or consider:
  1. Studio Projects C1 Mic ~ $230.00
  2. M-Audio DMP-3 Preamp ~ $160.00

This would be a step in the right direction and start you with equipment you will probably still be reaching for years from now.

All depends on what you spent on what you have... and how much further your willing to go...

If the C1 is a bit too dear... then the B1 is around a hundred less... though it's probably a mic you'll eventually grow out of... unlike the C1 that holds it's own in a number of studios

Thank you for your help and suggestions. How will i make the guitar have effects with just the audio buddy. Is there something i should get when i return the mixer or just use the mixer instead of the preamp? I really do want the FX.

If you wanted your amps effects you could run a line out of the headphone jack on your amp to the audio buddy. Remember it's a stereo jack so if you're using a standard 1/4 inch cable (mono) just insert the jack on the cable to the first click in the headphone out. As far as the effects on the mixer you could just add effects on your computer program.

I just think that ...

No matter how you slice it, you're basically screwed.

You are entering down a path that can only lead to the complete and utter collapse of your social life and financial well-being.

That said, I think you've gotten some pretty decent advice. With the exception of the whole amp situation. If your amp is buzzing, then fix it. If the whole "noisy amp" thing is too difficult of an obstacle for you to overcome ... well, then you might as well send everything right back to Guitar Center, because you're going to encounter much scarier beasts the more you get in to this. :D

If your amp is buzzing, then fix it.
He's right you know... and while plugging straight into the instrument in will give you a clean guitar signal... it will be a boring one... almost beyond belief... You should really be going through an amp simulator/ effects box (of which the only respectable devices cost in excess of your enitire rig at this point).

Look into free VST plugins for effects (I think Acid Pro supports VST)... they should easily equal any of the effects built into the mixer...

Thanks guys. I got all of the gear in today. I guess i don't have the right cables to test this stuff out. Can anyone direct me to the right cables to get the sound from the audio buddy or the mixer to my computer?

Thanks guys. I got all of the gear in today. I guess i don't have the right cables to test this stuff out. Can anyone direct me to the right cables to get the sound from the audio buddy or the mixer to my computer?
Nope... I held your hand for a while... but I'll be damned if I'll shake it off for you...:eek:

RTFM
Ask me for an opinion that's not documented in a manual that you ditched in your rush to the equipment in the brand new box... and I'll be happy to hold hands again.

Cheers... and welcome to the board

Well it seems like i have everything set up and working "probably" as it should. It just does not seem like i am getting better quality when plugging into the line in port. The recording keeps blasting even after i turn the guitar,amp, and preamp gain all the way down to where it wont go down any further.

Well it seems like i have everything set up and working "probably" as it should. It just does not seem like i am getting better quality when plugging into the line in port. The recording keeps blasting even after i turn the guitar,amp, and preamp gain all the way down to where it wont go down any further.
What is your signal chain... It sounds like you're coming out of a guitar amp either through the line out or (gasp) speaker output into the instrumnt in...

1. Never send a speaker output into a line, instument, microphone level input
  2. If you're using the line out from your amp this connects to the line in on the pre amp
  3. If you're going direct from the guitar (no amp), here's where you use the instrument in

A few posts above suggested that i could run a cable from the headphone jack in my amp to get the FX to the instrument in on the preamp, then i have a 1/4 cord running to the line in jack with a 1/8 adapter.

A few posts above suggested that i could run a cable from the headphone jack in my amp to get the FX to the instrument in on the preamp, then i have a 1/4 cord running to the line in jack with a 1/8 adapter.
You should be going to the line input... not the instrument input if you are feeding the Audio Buddy preamp from the Amplifier Headphone Jack... is that the case...

It would be very helpful if you could list your signal chain... input/output of each device

Back