New guy here, concrete room, scraps accoustic setup question

Captain Ego

Hey guys. I've been reading for a while but I have a question. Is there any cheap, like really REALLY cheap (like free?) way of getting a room set up to record in.

I have access to lots of cardboard boxes, blankets, sleeping bags, duct tape, giant piles of laundry, random bits of wood panelling, fiberglass insulation stuff, ceiling tile scraps, drywall, but I have no money and whatever I set up here will have to be temporary, so even if I could afford some nice accoustic treatment stuff off the rack I wouldn't be able to keep it - So I wonder what might work.

I have heard about egg cartons and about how that's a myth, I have heard that I need to build a room within a room, or fill everything in with cement, and all sorts of crazy myths. I'm just wondering if there is a way for the broke guy using whatever materiels he can find to record in a scuzzy basement room environment and have it sound clean enough to be listenable without offending the ears of audiophiles.

I plan on recording a small drum set with 2 dynamic mics (kick and snare) and a condenser (up top), and a mic on a 10" guitar combo and another on a 12" bass combo, then doing vocals after in headphones. So it's nothing fancy I just want to make sure this concrete cell sounds as best as it can and I don't know how to get rid of wierd effects of concrete. Everything sounds harsh and shiney and brassey even just the sound of me clapping my hands. I'm going to be set up here for about a month, so I would like to make the best of it that I can.

I thought I would take less time to ask rather than experimenting around for days with no clue what to try.

It's a basement. About 25' x 12'. The front half is a laundry room, the back half is where my stuff is set up. All concrete, floors, walls, some heating duct and pipe and such, and some panel ceiling tiles so far. What is good to help this (other than moving)?

If you don't have to worry about sounds from outside getting in or sounds from inside getting out (ie Soundproofing), then your main concern is simply to acoustically treating your room to deal with the sound trapped in the room and reflecting all over the place.

Thick and relatively dense / absorbent products are your friend for absorbing reflected sound while thick / dense and reflective are good for redirecting sound elsewhere.

Your enemy is 2 opposing surfaces(such as wall to wall or floor to ceiling) where they are both reflective. You need to look into whatever you can do to hang up your absorbant stuff on the ceiling and walls/

as far as low frequencies (which are typical problems) piling up huge stacks of clothes or insulation in the corners is a good bet.

I know this is broad instructions, but it is a start.

Layer upon layer of blankets and sleeping bags might be the best choice out of the materials you have on hand.

Back