new guitar amp..... BluGuitar AMP1

So, its a 100W amp head that's less than 250mm long and weighs less than 1kg? That is impressive.

I notice that it seems to have some sort of valve power amp? I'm assuming that all of the preamp/gain section is digi modelling?

Its pretty cheap too.

Its still an impressive achievement though - I don't know whether the review I saw was a DI from the unit or if it was from a mic'd up cab. What I heard didn't sound dissimilar to something I would produce from Gearbox.

Its still an impressive achievement though - I don't know whether the review I saw was a DI from the unit or if it was from a mic'd up cab. What I heard didn't sound dissimilar to something I would produce from Gearbox.

The details are vague. Probably on purpose. I can only assume, just guessing, that it's a solid state modeling preamp with whatever a "nanotube" is for the power section. Maybe the "nanotube" is Korg's new Nutube or some variation. So that would make it a Hybrid modeling amp. Fine whatever. It doesn't appear to have any traditional tubes in it. That little thing would get smoldering hot with regular vacuum tubes. It certainly has no big bottle power tubes. Maybe it's got 11 EL84s? Lol. Doubt it. But it's also missing a few key ingredients that help make bad ass amps what they are - big iron power and output transformers.

From what I've heard it would be useful tool for some people - if you're into late 90s heavy rock/metal which all had that really tight crisp anodyne guitar sound. I'm not interested though. I did click on the link with a completely open mind, thinking "fuck, 500 quid - I just paid that for a 20W amp" I'm not dissappointed with my choice.

I'm not trying to poo-poo it. I just don't understand why people try to reinvent the wheel just to end up with just another wheel.

I have a microphone with a micro tube in it. The tube is about the size of a a matchstick broken in half & the two pieces stuck side by side.
I'd assume nano was smaller still.
I can't see for the smoke & mirrors though.

but i'm with you, greg, until i can hear it in person, i just don't know.

when i read that jennifer batten was using it for her rig (i mean, c'mon, how many people do you know that did albums with jeff beck?).. i thought 'ok, she used to work with racks of gear and big mesa boogies, she at least knows about sheer power'....

but she says this whole rig, she can travel with, puts the amp, and the tiny little 1x12 cab that pairs with it, in the overhead bins on the plane.

ok, if i was traveling for a living and had to portage my own sh!t like that, i'd probably take convenience over a full blown rig....
but it's still old school enough to NOT be something like a kemper or fractal... both of which still requires that power amp... and usually, special speakers/cabs to get it right with the IR.....
more trouble than it's worth.

save the big rigs for the studio?
or maybe, the big clubs?
or maybe, just the garage.......?!
LOL

Save the big rigs...for me. I can still pick up objects that really aren't that heavy.

When people like an amp because it can fit on a plane like a carry-on, then I'm gonna :facepalm:

hehe, well, if YOU were traveling that often,
you might change your tune.

me, i have FOUR cabinets in my studio, plus my boogie, and no landlord to deal with,
so i'm still living the loud dream.
LOL

but damn,
that little itty bitty footpedal-looking 100w amp....
i could work with that, even if it only sounded marginally good.

hehe, well, if YOU were traveling that often,
you might change your tune.
No I wouldn't. I'd rent a proper back line or find some other way to use proper equipment. But it's all moot because touring is something I never want to do again. Ever.

I'm with ya on living loud though.

IBM announced that they've found a away to use NANOTUBES to replace silicon in transistors on the 1st day of this month.
In electronics a nanotube is used in place of silicon contacts to allow electrons to flow more efficiently through the carbon.
Dario Gil of IBM said " This breakthrough shows that computer chips made of carbon nanotubes will be able to power systems of the future sooner than the industry expected."
This suggests that Nanotubes, as far as the electronic industry knows them, aren't being used so this amp is applying another "invented" meaning for the word. Maybe they invented the meaning 1st? The blurb does say "valve driven" regarding it's power stage.
I can't say much about the sound - Utube really isn't a place to critically listen even if I had the ears for it.

Conversely there's evidence that the carbon based electron conduit has been used, (but not by IBM)":
There's an appraisal of the process here: https://books.google.com.au/books?i...nepage&q=nanotube in audio amplifiers&f=false

It does seem that the use of "tube" is much the same as Peavey's "Transtube", Studio Devil's "Virtual Tube" etc. It remains for the company to explain or clarify the situation and THEIR definition of Nanotube.

Last edited:
At the end he A/B against a Marshall. I'd get one if it was on sale or something real cheap. F it right? Where you been greg? You not working on new music? I never see you put anything in the mixing clinic. Not that you need mixing help lol.

At the end he A/B against a Marshall. I'd get one if it was on sale or something real cheap. F it right? Where you been greg?
I've been here just about every day.

You not working on new music?
I always am.

I never see you put anything in the mixing clinic. Not that you need mixing help lol.
Thanks but there are many valid, legitimate reasons I don't go to the clinic anymore. Just because I'm not posting anything new doesn't mean I'm not doing anything new.

Back