New Fostex Forum

Twitch

As you may know, I have continued to support the Fostex forum. I have been the original moderator for the last 5 years at www.fostexusa.com. Now since the USA support is no longer I have continued that support with the help of Fostex Corporation. I ask that you direct your questions and answer to the forum so we may help you.. Terfyn, Stutz, enwewn, and myself Cairns have all join the new forum... If you need software updates or software lists please contact me through email. As I'm still putting up Fostex manuals and Software updates on my website.. Fostex asks me and I WILL not charge for manuals.. I have the same manuals as they were preivously on the site.. I might have more too.. Please keep in mind I'm only here to help.. If you have ever went to Fostex forum site.. then you know who I am.. (Cairns)

take care

Here is the URL

http://mygear.olivier-recordings.com

We are all here to help

so does this mean I should never buy another Fostex product because I won't be able to get it serviced?

so does this mean I should never buy another Fostex product because I won't be able to get it serviced?

No it doesn't mean that..I never said it wouldn't get serviced, There are Fostex dealerships and service centers.. I'm saying the support forum is no more, so if you need a manual, or need a software update.. Fostex is not having a support forum that's all. You are more than welcome to contact Fostex International if you need something also

well I went to your links and Fostex USA said they would not be supporting anything. They don't even allow being contacted. That doesn't sound like they simply aren't supporting a forum any longer and that's not what they said. They didn't even mention the forum ...... simply said they are no longer providing service or contacts or anything at all except selling their products.
They don't even support service ..... click on their 'service centers' tab and they say they don't support that either.
I don't mean to be dense but I guess I'm missing something here.
Still, I have a couple of Fostex products and was considering getting a couple of more. This kinda makes me nervous about that.

As I said, I'm probably misunderstanding something but if I can't get service and support of Fostex products that scares me.

well I went to your links and Fostex USA said they would not be supporting anything. They don't even allow being contacted. That doesn't sound like they simply aren't supporting a forum any longer and that's not what they said. They didn't even mention the forum ...... simply said they are no longer providing service or contacts or anything at all except selling their products.
They don't even support service ..... click on their 'service centers' tab and they say they don't support that either.
I don't mean to be dense but I guess I'm missing something here.
Still, I have a couple of Fostex products and was considering getting a couple of more. This kinda makes me nervous about that.

As I said, I'm probably misunderstanding something but if I can't get service and support of Fostex products that scares me.

This link will take you to the Fosex Forum that is still in use but fading fast...

http://www.fostexusa.com/mercuryboard/

Fostex just put up the warranty (non support).. They had to put that up today.. However what I've been told is that they will not be having a USA support, for help of products.. I will continue that help (as mentioned above the link to the original forum).. Please keep in mind I don't work for Fostex at all.. They help me get started with Cakewalk/Roland and MOTU those companies I work with.. I'm just repaying the favor, by continuing the USA support.. So Yes it is scary, they have moved BACK to overseas.. But you will still get the same support as you did before, it will just take longer.. I'm very sorry if I mis-said something, I'm just trying to help people with their products.. I talk to Fostex japan very closely, I just thought I would return the favor and help those out.. I'm sorry I really can't answer some of those questions and fears that us customers have.

Just to confirm what Twitch has said. I contacted the UK importer about the latest software for my MR16. I received a copy of the update by return of e-mail. So the support is there for any one who wants it.

I see the change as Fostex USA returning to core business and reducing overheads.

it actually sounds like maybe there is gonna be no Fostex USA at all.

Sometimes companies lose their distributors.

Well ...... we'll just have to wait and see.

Thanks Twitch and Terfyn for the info.

Fostex Forum

This is really too bad. I bought a VF160EX several years ago. It has since been discontinued but I still really like the unit. however, without good product support, I would really hesitate to buy another Foxtex product. I feel good product support is really critical and these forums really help as well.

msr:(

No Fostex Multitrackers at AMS & ZZOUNDS?!

WT? Just checked the above sites and observed that the Fostex 8 tracks are non-existent. Guess, for the time being anyway, they are not being sold, at least, at those two sites. What a shame.

Error code 45

My best guess is "Remaining disk capacity is insufficient". This is based on an error code list for the VF16. Perhaps your disk is full or corrupted.

msr

Twitch,

First off thank you very much for this thread and your time. I am almost totally tech illiterate. I bought the MR-8HD. I think it's an older one (silver with no card inserts). I can barley understand the manual. Is there ANYTHING you can recommend to me or any links, videos, etc,etc.

Just imagine trying to teach Woody Guthrie how to use the MR-8HD.

Anything you can do for me will be greatly appreciated. I have already lost and ruined some good recordings.

I have the MR16-HD/CD so I am not experienced with your machine. The HD had the Hard Disk installed instead of the card reader. It is designed to interface directly with your PC using the USB port and a software download package called WavManager. (Available via the new forum and from Fostex International - its FREE)
Basic operation is to record raw material on tracks 1-4. These can be mixed down to a stereo pair using the "Bounce" function on to either 5/6 or 7/8 (7/8 are special as you will see later) This mix down process combines one or more of tracks 1-4 into the stereo pair by use of the Pan control as each track is fed on to a Stereo Buss (Left and Right) through the position of the Pan control. Once you have bounced tracks 1-4 to, say, 5/6 you can re use tracks 1-4 and finally bounce new 1-4 plus 5/6 to 7/8.
You need to get the final mixed recordings on to 7/8 for the next process. The final recording on 7/8 is still in the form of two mono files held together on the disk. The next process is to bounce to the stereo .WAV file in the 2Mix folder, this has to be done to produce a file that can be recorded directly on to a CD or mp3 player.
The menus give you the route to produce a CD using an external CD burner but most users transfer their Mono files to their PC, combine the files and burn CD or load mp3s at that stage.

I agree that the User Manual is not easy!! But the MR8 is a very logical machine. The complexity comes, for a new user, from the versatility of the recording system. It is in fact an 8 track recorder but it has echo and other effects built in, it also has a simplistic editing system that can be used to copy and move tracks. One final point, Delete does not free up disk space, so when you have completed a recording session re-format the disk.
Hope this all helps. Start with the basics and progress as you understand the MR8 better.

Yes, it helps very much.

I have bounced all tracks 1-4 to 5/7 then recorded 4 more tracks and bounced all of them, 1-4 new track and the last 1-4 tracks on 5/7 to 7/8 and then managed some how to make a wav file. Now I have a wav file icon on my computer containing the wave file and I also have it in my wav manager (all 8 tracks seperate).

Now I am stuck. How do I turn a wav file into a mp3?

How do I email the mp3 to a freind or more specific to the person that I bought the MR-8HD from who now has a MR-16 so he can load it into his new MR-16? I downloaded a free converter and it said it converted the file but then I could never find the mp3 file. What the hell do you do then.

By the way I made plenty of mistakes and now the song is a mess but at this point I just want to get through the process and then start over.

THANK YOU VERY MUCH! I fully understand when anybody has spent enough time with me on this but intill then I will take any help I could get.

Last edited:
The Wav file can be burnt to a CD OR converted to mp3 using a program such as Nero. Save it, name it and attach it to an e-mail in the normal way.

WavManager downloads the tracks into a PC folder. The files saved can then be used in an audio editor such as Audacity (free) and converted to mp3 from there. Once the files have left the MR8, they are under control of the PC and obey its rules.

Most users download to their PCs for onward processing. As I said, I have an MR16 - HD/CD so I burn my CD on the MR16 without using a PC.

Back