New Electric bass - how best to record it on my Tascam 424 MKIII?

Brian C Kent

Because I have an active pre-amp, I can go directly into a channel and get a decent signal, but it's not the best sound and it doesn't nearly compare to what is coming out of my combo amp. Any suggestions for how to best mike an amp for a bass guitar? Is going direct ALWAYS preferred to miking an amp? I've got a set of decent Marshal condenser mikes, but I really don't know what I'm doin. re: miking amps.
thanks!
Brian

Common practice is to go direct into the console with a bass, or through a DI box.

A preamp shouldn't be needed in most cases unless the pickups are extremely low output.

Miking a bass cabinet doesn't always sound very good for recording.

Someone else here is apt to give more/better advise. What I explained above has been my experience.

I know this is an ancient thread, but I'll respond anyway. While going direct seems to be the standard, MANY people mic bass amps. Often doing both and mixing the signals will be used. I can't comment on the best mic placement, but I'm sure you could experiment and find a good spot. You should consider getting a direct box/preamp like the sansamp bass DI if you want to go direct. On the other hand, digital multi-effects can make fun direct boxes if you aren't looking for studio quality (which you won't find in portastudio anyway).

So in summary, don't go direct from the bass, it just won't sound very good most of the time (as you mentioned)

Back