New Drums

Sennheiser

My new (used) Roland R-5 drum machine arrived last night. I won it off of e-bay.

Some here know how crappy the drums sound on my mixes from the on-board drums I'd been using on my CTX-1000 keyboard.
Well I'm here to tell ya, all that's about to change. These are the best drums I ever heard coming out of a box.

I haven't figured everything out yet. The manual is in the mail...all 200 pages of it. But I was able to figure out how to assign drums to the pads, change the levels, and play patterns.

There are a couple of kicks that don't sound too bad. One in particular I like, but the attack is rather high-pitched and sharp. It has several nice snares. Where it really shines are the cymbals. They really do sound good.

With the help of the manual, I have to figure out how to tweak the sounds and program songs. Awesome machine from what I've seen so far.

Sennheiser said:
My new (used) Roland R-5 drum machine arrived last night. I won it off of e-bay.

I'd like to hear a tune with it..

Does the R5 compare well to the Alesis SR16? One thing that has kept me away form the SR16 (and maybe drum machines in general but I'm trying to be open minded now) is the complaining I hear from some people who own them that the drums sound like 80's drums, which I can't stand for the most part. Rock drums in the 80's sounded horrible to me, drenched in reverb...Yuck!

I like to check it out also. I have a DR770 that I'm very pleased with as far as programming goes, but it just doesn't have good enough sounds for me. How much did you get it for?

I wouldnt even worry about sound quality with something like that. Worry first about ease of playing and responsiveness. Worry about missed triggering and false triggering.

If you cant get decent pulses to tape using that drum set, you can www.drumagog.com it later and all will be right in the world

I got it for $127 which was pretty cheap for this machine.

I don't know how it compares to the SR-16. I've never knowingly heard the SR-16 before.

I really can't tell how they are going to sound in a mix yet, even though by themselves they sound great.

it might be a while before a new song is recorded. I have the lyrics written and edited, but no melody or chord structure yet. In a few weeks maybe.

You oughta see the size of the power supply for this thing. It's about 2/3rd's the size of the one powering my console. Batteries need not apply.

I'm expecting the manual either today or tomorrow.

Yo Senn:

Yo Senn Again:

I've got an SR-16 resting in a dusty corner somewhere in my studio. It was the box that replaced my Yamaha drum box. The 16 was replaced by a Boss 770 which has rhythms and sounds far beyond the SR-16.

I like the 770 because it offers a/b on many patches and the Latin patches are great. I would guess Roland would have some good patches too. I think Roland makes the Boss 770 as well as other Boss drum boxes.

So whoever is going to buy a drum box, listen to the SR-16 and then the Roland 770 -- Big difference in quality in the Boss unit.

Green Hornet :D :D

Hello Mr. insect who scares the living crap out of me in the summer.:D

Boss is a division of Roland. Why, I don't know. They all use the same sounds and much of the same programing.

Kind of like buying an Oldsmobile and finding your neighbor has the same car except it says Buick on the deck lid.

I've heard a lot of drum machines in the past and Roland has always impressed me with their samples and programing options.

The manual was waiting for me at the doorstep when I got home tonight. Picture 500 sheets of printer paper you just took the wrapper off of. It looks to be two thirds of that. It's only printed on one side though so that explains it some. But still, it's going to take a week or so of working this machine to learn it well, probably two weeks.

I only briefly thumbed though it. I'm taking it to work tomorrow to spiral bind it so it doesn't get away from me.

Back