new drums...

Barometer

Not that you all would care, but either does anyone I know and I have to let it out

WOOHOO!!! :D :D :D I just got my new Mapex Saturn Pro Manhattan series kit and it's GREAT! I'm so stoked, they sound so much better than the Yamaha Custom I was playing and the pieces are much smaller, which I've been wanting for a very long time now. I just love the 18" kick and the hardware is incredible. I had no idea I was so out of touch with drum hardware improvements.

Sorry to bother you all, carry on :p

Vaughn asked in another forum what I got, so here it is. 14x5.5 maple/walnut snare, 12x9 tom, 14x14 floor tom, 18x14 kick (all 6 ply thin maple/basswood). New bass pedal, high hat stand, boom stand and boom arm for the kick also came with it. Still using my old cymbals :cool:

Last edited:
Yeah, the kick definitely looks funny, it's so tiny. But I'm getting so much more the sound out of it that I want now and I guess that's what it's all about. I've always wanted more of a jazz kit. :D

Barometer, congradulations on your new kit!!!! I have played a Manhatten kit in the sizes you have and liked it alot. I actually came very close to buying one about 18 months ago (however at the time I still had 5 kits and couldn't justify another one).

I tend to like the flexibility of smaller drums - you can tune them down to get a fatter sound and still get great attack.

I have a couple of 18" kicks which I like for recording, but for live I prefer a 20" . I freelance with many groups and the 18" kick just can't give me a rock and roll punch if I need it (but for jazz and funk an 18" can work very well indeed).

You'r right about hardware - it keeps getting better and better, and Mapex is making some pretty decent stuff (I have 2 Mapex kits and 4 Mapex snares)

Hey Mike, thanks for the comments. Is there that noticeable a difference between an 18" and 20" kick? I was considering getting a 20" and may still order it separately at a later date. I did not consider needing some heavy punch for some of our live stuff, I'm more concerned with recording at the moment. Thanks again :cool:

Barometer,

I have found that in a live setting, the difference between an 18" and a 20" is noticeable. The 18" just doesn't have the depth needed for rock & roll.

An 18" is good for jazz 1/4 notes and the ol' "drop the bomb" accents, but it seems too weak to really drive a rock & roll groove or even a heavier funk groove.

I personally like a 20" better than a 22" - in part cause I play mostly pop, funk, jazz, and/or country gigs - if I do get a call for a heavier gig I pull out the kit with the 22" kick.

However, I absolutely agree in the studio an 18" can provide a great blend of tone and control.

That is simply my opinion, try the 18' at a gig and and trust your ears.

Cool guys, thanks again for the posts. I thought I was going with something real small, but damn fenix, a 12" kick? I'd definitely like to hear that on something. Any post from you in the clinic? (sorry I don't remember, but I'll do a check in there to see) :D

18 kick drums sound soooo sweet, they can really cut through a mix, i used to have one and i played in a hardcore band it was pretty fun.

Back