New Drum/Vocal Room... Suggestions Anyone?

northsiderap

Here is a layout of my soon-to-be percussion/vox room. It is @ 15' x 12' x 34'. Check out the diagram & Pictures:

Cutaway1.jpg

Here are a couple of progress pictures - - - The fun stuff is about to start. I have access to A LOT of cedar ends from a nearby sawmill, so I was thinking about doing some board & baton for a natural wood sound. Any suggestions?

For example... How would you do the layout? Would you put the drums on the higher cieling area?

Or should I use it as kind of an ampitheatre style and put the facing the 'big wall?'

Studio1.jpg

Studio2.jpg

P.S. - - Find the beer in the photos :D

Thanks! :)

Well - - -

Should I carpet the floor? Any tips? Anyone?

Here is a 3D concept of what I am going to do. The high wall is getting acoustic tile for the top four feet; plus, there is a lot of space behind them as well. There is probably going to be helmoltz, panel traps, or diffusers on the main wall. The end walls and knee-walls probably will be cedar.

The end of the room probably will get split off with another window for a vocal booth.

I also figured out that I can open up another eight feet or so above & behind the tall wall. Maybe a loft up there or something.

I put an approximation of the size of my vintage Slingerland set in there for reference.
Studio3D1WEB.jpg

If anyone has any tips, I'd really appreciate it before I do the finishing work.

Last edited:
I really like the idea of the "natural wood" and sound. I hope it turns out great :) Good idea about the loft!! :D

This room should sound pretty interesting ... No I don't think you should carpet the floor for a percussion room :) ...(It takes away the early reflections that most people would prefer to keep)

Wood and brick is wonderful.

I'd place the drums dead center in the room, to capture all the complex reflections from the angled ceiling and interesting building materials.

I'd also use a tight pattern mic so that the reflections don't ring in the drum mikes, and use two sensitive loose pattern mikes put in different parts of the room (experiment!) to capture the reflections, in stereo, seperately. Then you have some control over the volume balance between initial "thwack" and reflections.

Hardwood Floor - - -

The tall wall will probably be :

Studs with fiberglass batting -> One inch foam -> Absorbers/diffusers on furring strips

What's the recommended way to protect a hardwood floor from a drummer while still capturing the hardwood sound?

Yeah, keep the floor bare. To prevent the drums from sliding get a piece of (thin) indoor/outdoor carpet just big enough for the drums to sit on this shouldn't affect the sound enough to notice. With all the angles and shapes you have this could be a really fun room, you will certainly have to experiment a bit to find the "perfect spot(s)" to set things for the best sound. Your room design looks great for acoustic instruments, room ambience should be to your advantage in there. One suggestion, as your room nears completion (or sooner) bring in a good/loud stereo and move the speakers around to different locations, listen for hot spots and dead spots, the shape of your room should have lots of both. Good luck, keep us posted on how things turn out.

Back