New drum micing techniques

mrhotapples

http://www.lightningmp3.com/live/file.php?id=12732

I've been trying Glyns John/recorderman type OH setups recently, using the drummer as a baffle and keeping the mics close in and equidistant from kick and snare center. I usually do wide spaced pairs. I'm liking it. I'm also micing the toms from farther away (3 inches) and the kick from pretty close off-axis (no hole in the resohead)

The guitars and bass in this are DI, but it's the drums I want an opinion of. I like 'em.

I must note however that I'm not a drummer so it's nothing too fun to listen to.

I used CAD M177s unpadded for the OHs, set up like in the recorderman instructions but I picked a random distance that was higher above the snare 'cause I'm paranoid. The snare was a 57 barely peaking over the rim about an inch away from the head, the kick was an electrovoice ND676 I believe, it's like a D112 but with the bass focused a little lower...Toms are an I5 and ATM25 for, respectively, the higher and lower, about 2 inches away, 20% inwards pointing towards center. All into a firepod.

EDIT: I'd also like to note that the kick is unported and to achieve a more pronounced batter sound, I got the mic as close as I could without it getting hit by the pumping of the resonant head, off-axis and angled in, kinda like micing a tom. It worked.
Thanks for listenin'.

Nice job indeed. And I've got most of your mic choices--encouraging for me. I ought to be able to do that.

I've never used Glyn Johns/recorderman. Just a mic on every piece with a wide spread on the overheads, but I gotta tell ya, after hearing your results I'm gonna give it a try.

It sounds better when Sonar hasn't turned 'stereo' on for all the mono waves, lol. But I really think the recorderman OH technique sounds great, even cutting most of the low-end out, OHs are always important and because it picks up all the drums so nicely the OH sound is better and bam, better drums. This is the first drum track I've recorded that I actually really leaned into using more of the OH for the snare than the close mic.

Back