New CPU or Mac mini

All4Love

I have a computer now that has the Sempron 3200+ 1.8ghz 256 L2 in it. I know this is a really low end processor and at this point im lucky to get past 6 tracks on Reaper ha.

My only option for this computer for CPU upgrades is AMD Athlon 64 4000+ 2.4ghz 1M L2, on up to the higher AMD Athlon X2 4800+ with 2.2ghz. I know Dual Core maybe better but is it really a better CPU for recording considering the 4000+ is a bit higher in ghz?

My other option in my budget is a Mac mini G4 that hear alot about using in a Studio. With about $300 i can get a Mac mini with the 1.6ghz Intel or PowerPC 1.5ghz. Which is better?

Walmart is selling the new DELL XPS with the Q6600 Quad Core by the way for $995. Bit much for what i need.

What are the opinions? Using Reaper. Should i use another program with these CPU'S?

My budget is pretty much the processor upgrade or new computer tower around the same same price as the processors mentioned.

I have been dealing so much with this Sempron that maybe i have no clue how much better the Athlon 64 is a upgrade.

Thanks Chase....ha

I have a computer now that has the Sempron 3200+ 1.8ghz 256 L2 in it. I know this is a really low end processor and at this point im lucky to get past 6 tracks on Reaper ha.

My only option for this computer for CPU upgrades is AMD Athlon 64 4000+ 2.4ghz 1M L2, on up to the higher AMD Athlon X2 4800+ with 2.2ghz. I know Dual Core maybe better but is it really a better CPU for recording considering the 4000+ is a bit higher in ghz?

Wait a minute... Are you talking about replacing just your processor? I'm afraid that won't always be possible... You can't just stick any processor onto any motherboard... Then there is the form factor for the case to consider.

I can tell you one thing - assuming the sound card you're using is the bog standard one that came with your old Sempron system, the jump to Athlon 64 alone will do you very little good. You will have to budget for a zero-latency pro. sound interface as well.

When it comes to the difference between single and dual core processors, I'm using the Athlon 64 with FL Studio (and minimum required memory) and it works just fine, but I still intend to upgrade to Dual Core, for other reasons...

My other option in my budget is a Mac mini G4 that hear alot about using in a Studio. With about $300 i can get a Mac mini with the 1.6ghz Intel or PowerPC 1.5ghz. Which is better?

"Which is better?"... That's like asking "How long is a piece of string" without knowing more about you and what you want from all this. Firstly, don't be led only by spec. numbers. Slow down now... If you're changing to Mac, there are many more things to consider than one fraction of a gig in the speed. You need to be aware of the major differences in the platforms and come to a firm decision there, first. Both are possessed of their advantages and disadvantages and these you must be aware of, before you purchase anything.

Walmart is selling the new DELL XPS with the Q6600 Quad Core by the way for $995. Bit much for what i need.

You say it's a bit much... AT THIS POINT IN TIME - but now you're looking at something more 'futureproof'. It all depends on whether your reasons for owning a computer go beyond making music... Yes, the Mac G4 may be found in pro. studios, but remember: many studios do not use their computers for much other than one specific task. These little Macs are supposed to be sturdy and very reliable. On the other hand, going back a few years, the G4 had noise issues. Not exactly the best feature for a recording studio.

Again, though, don't let that be the only thing to guide you... PCs are, today, more increasingly to be found in professional studios.

One other thing... Check that the DELL is truly a modular PC. DELL are very well built but, depending on the model, sometimes the upgrading possibilities (such as adding internal sound cards) are limited, by design.

What are the opinions? Using Reaper. Should i use another program with these CPU'S?

It's not a question of whether the CPU can run it but whether it's supported by the operating system the processor requires. I think you're alright there... To further ascertain: Reaper has a website and forum - so check 'em out!
http://forum.cockos.com/forumdisplay.php?f=19

Though I can tell you that Reaper for Mac is at present still in Beta stage, whereas it's been around longer on the PC platform. From what I've read, apparently, the Mac version lacks some of the features found in the PC version (but they say they are working on it!)

Hope this helps

Dr. V

Last edited:
As a general rule, I think you can build a respectable PC for ~$500 (I've built several for about that over the past 10 years- that includes a legit copy of windows). I wouldn't mess around trying to upgrade your old processor unless your motherboard supports the current ram standard, has pcix, etc. Besides that Windows might get funny on you if it thinks its installed on a "new" computer. Otherwise, you'll spend more on updating using old spec stuff (for instance, the price of old ddr ram is way more than the current standard). I wouldn't mess around with the mac mini either if those specs you quoted are right. Personally, I'd just build a new machine and be done with it.

There are a lot of 400 dollar quad recipies in the reaper forum. I use an amd 4200+ for my main mixing computer, but I enjoy tracking on the Koama Kompound's 400 dollar quad a lot

Odd. I could have sworn I replied to this post earlier today. My advice if you go with a Mac Mini would be to avoid the G4 and the original Core Solo/Duo-based Intel Mini (the two machines you list).

The G4 isn't supported in the current version of Mac OS X (and is dog slow).

The original Core processors aren't 64-bit-capable, which seems like a potential roadblock for future software and OSes.

In short, stick with something that has a Core 2 Duo processor (or Core 2 Quad). That should be any Mac Mini from the second generation forward, IIRC.

There are a lot of 400 dollar quad recipies in the reaper forum. I use an amd 4200+ for my main mixing computer, but I enjoy tracking on the Koama Kompound's 400 dollar quad a lot

Im glad you mentioned this. Im about to buy a motherboard with the AMD 4200+ and was hoping this would be worth the buy.

Wait a minute... Are you talking about replacing just your processor? I'm afraid that won't always be possible... You can't just stick any processor onto any motherboard... Then there is the form factor for the case to consider.

I can tell you one thing - assuming the sound card you're using is the bog standard one that came with your old Sempron system, the jump to Athlon 64 alone will do you very little good. You will have to budget for a zero-latency pro. sound interface as well.

When it comes to the difference between single and dual core processors, I'm using the Athlon 64 with FL Studio (and minimum required memory) and it works just fine, but I still intend to upgrade to Dual Core, for other reasons...

"Which is better?"... That's like asking "How long is a piece of string" without knowing more about you and what you want from all this. Firstly, don't be led only by spec. numbers. Slow down now... If you're changing to Mac, there are many more things to consider than one fraction of a gig in the speed. You need to be aware of the major differences in the platforms and come to a firm decision there, first. Both are possessed of their advantages and disadvantages and these you must be aware of, before you purchase anything.

You say it's a bit much... AT THIS POINT IN TIME - but now you're looking at something more 'futureproof'. It all depends on whether your reasons for owning a computer go beyond making music... Yes, the Mac G4 may be found in pro. studios, but remember: many studios do not use their computers for much other than one specific task. These little Macs are supposed to be sturdy and very reliable. On the other hand, going back a few years, the G4 had noise issues. Not exactly the best feature for a recording studio.

Again, though, don't let that be the only thing to guide you... PCs are, today, more increasingly to be found in professional studios.

One other thing... Check that the DELL is truly a modular PC. DELL are very well built but, depending on the model, sometimes the upgrading possibilities (such as adding internal sound cards) are limited, by design.

It's not a question of whether the CPU can run it but whether it's supported by the operating system the processor requires. I think you're alright there... To further ascertain: Reaper has a website and forum - so check 'em out!
http://forum.cockos.com/forumdisplay.php?f=19

Though I can tell you that Reaper for Mac is at present still in Beta stage, whereas it's been around longer on the PC platform. From what I've read, apparently, the Mac version lacks some of the features found in the PC version (but they say they are working on it!)

Hope this helps

Dr. V

My board now has 4gb of Ram, but low on HD (80gb). I installed a differ sound card but regardless i dont us it. I use my interface as the output thr ASIO4ALL. Playback sounds good.

My attentions are to get a differ motherbaord. my options locally are...a Intel Core 2 Quad for $100 but would have to add the rest of the hardware like HD, memory, ect...

Other is a AMD Athlon X2 4200+ motherboard...where all i would have to do is swap things aroumd from my old board. From whats said below, this AMD model seems to be doing well. Plus, this motherboard has overclocking. This on i have now is locked in the BIOS...DAMN Compaq and HP.

Ideally, you should be using a larger hard drive, so I'd recommend investing in that, whatever you do. Music can take up a lot of space. You should also be using a slave drive for storage and keeping it seperate from your system drive.

The Athlon 4200+ sounds alright. If you need to save money, then go with that. It should handle most home-use DAWs. The Quad Core is what you'd go for if you were into gaming and video editing.

Just a suggestion - You could use what you save, buying the AMD, to buy a a couple of decent sized drives. If possible, go for a SATA for the system drive, at least, and you could use the existing 80GB one as a backup.

Be careful with overclocking. It can be very dangerous if you don't know exactly what you're doing. There are many people in this world who know just enough about computers to fuck one up properly. For what you want to do with it, I think you'll find it will run fast enough, without messing about with it.

Regards

Dr. V

Last edited:
In this case i'd say a tower PC would be better than a mac mini since the mini is used with a laptop hard drive.

I went ahead and bought i nice laptop. Hewlett Packard 17", 4GB RAM. 320 HD, Intel Core Duo 2.2ghz.

Plus a Hewlett Packard Laptop ENVY 15, 16GB RAM, 500HD, Intel Core Quad i7. For the main studio...yep.

Back