New Computer!! ...good for recording??

HangDawg said:
Being that you brought probability into it, you are correct. Never thought of it that way.

I brought probability into it, because probability is always a factor to consider when discussing hardware failure.

In my opinion, it's not something to be ignored, whether your talking about losing the song you wrote about your sweetheart on your home PC, or losing the financial records for your company for an entire year.

Sure, obviously one sucks more than the other, but they both suck.

Hard drives are machines, and what do machines do?

Polaris20 said:
I brought probability into it, because probability is always a factor to consider when discussing hardware failure.

In my opinion, it's not something to be ignored, whether your talking about losing the song you wrote about your sweetheart on your home PC, or losing the financial records for your company for an entire year.

Sure, obviously one sucks more than the other, but they both suck.

they break. there is no probability in that. chances are 100% your hard drive will fail. the socalled mtbf numbers are calculated numbers, nobody has ever put 100 drives out of a certian model number on test beds and exercised them 24/7 for five years. they use a formula, but they might as well use a WAG.

I have seen both drives in a raid mirror fail within 24 hours of each other.

I think ontrack starts at 600.00 dollars to look at your drive and make an estimate. they are several hundred dollars an hour after that.

if your data is on a raid O, and one disk fails unrecoverably, I don't know of any way to get your data back. You can take the disk out in a clean room and go over every track you can get to, but if the heads have damaged the drive surface you are pretty much fucked.

if you have name brand drives, and you keep heat buildup to a minimum you up the odds but there are no sure things. I bought 4 IBM desk stars (ibm has now sold its drive biz to hitatchi) and all failed in under 3 years.

like gene wilder was told in blazing saddles "you keep drinking like that you gonna die".........he just looks at the speaker, long pause....."when?"

probability always enters the calculations if people are responsible for a room full of servers, or all the systems in a hospital. I mean, you allways know the salesman is lying to you, the question is 'how much?'

you are getting good advice here, even if it is not what you want to hear.

Havoc said:
Something I don't really get is that over here nobody seems to have trouble with the nforce4 chipset. At other forums (fora?) there is a lot of noise about problems at high audio loads. they seem rather prone to have pops and clicks. Even rme warns about it on their website.

I would have added a reference to several threads on the sound-on-sound forum, but that seems to have serious problems these days.

Do some here have good experiences with it?

That's because of this:

http://www.rme-audio.de/techinfo/nforce4_tests.htm

According to RME's tests (very reputable company), motherboards with the nForce4 chipset (because of PCI-e) require buffer latency settings to be 8-10x higher than similar nForce3 chipset boards. 8-10x higher buffer latency is VERY BAD!

THANKS sile2001 for that post............

sile2001 said:
That's because of this:

http://www.rme-audio.de/techinfo/nforce4_tests.htm

According to RME's tests (very reputable company), motherboards with the nForce4 chipset (because of PCI-e) require buffer latency settings to be 8-10x higher than similar nForce3 chipset boards. 8-10x higher buffer latency is VERY BAD!

that's a real pisser, and nf4 is the upgrad for dual core/dual core dual processor amd 64's. I hope they can rectify this quickly. if you find anything further please post it or pm me.

thanks again.

Rstiltskin said:
that's a real pisser, and nf4 is the upgrad for dual core/dual core dual processor amd 64's. I hope they can rectify this quickly. if you find anything further please post it or pm me.

thanks again.

Isn't the KT890 supporting dual core?

i think so, but nvidia has had the hot hand and nf4 also

Polaris20 said:
Isn't the KT890 supporting dual core?

can be used on intel motherboards, but i think www.tomshardwar.com in their dual core shootout had some problems with nf4 and dual core + hyperthreaded intel cpu's and changed to a motherboard with a 955 intel set.

im my little experience gamers go a lot on voodoo and hearsay, and if this jumps the species barrier from audio guys to gamer geeks, nvidia could lose a lot of traction and prestige fast. might have to recall some motherboards too.

Shit, you're right; the NF4 is the only dual core Athlon chipset right now. Good thing I didn't do what I was going to do.

I was going to get a KT890-based board, buy a A64 3200+, then later when the multicores came down in price, pop one of those in.

I sure as hell won't be getting an NF4 board now.

I guess I'll just max out my current set up.

Back