New Computer Build (PC)

Twinhit

You gotta speak up!
Alright, I am launching a new thread on the subject of building a new computer.
Ten years I go I was pretty savvy on the subject and would know what hardware to choose
for my application. In fact, my system was so advanced in 1999, it's STILL pulling it's own load to this day.

However, I recognize that times have changed and I cannot do the simple upgrades I used to on my old system.
I can still record and surf the net with this system. But the clock is ticking for it. grr.

My objectives is basically multimedia - I want to record edit and publish and playback, audio, video, and graphic
intensive programs.

That said, I am omitting Mac as an option in this discussion because I want to focus on building a new PC from the
ground up.

The foundation for this system is a rackmount case that is suitable for ATX architecture mainboard.

Audio Recording:
Hardware/Software:
I like the UA UAD-2 DSP cards and their plug-ins and want to consider that product as one item to be installed.
Because UA's UAD-2 product supports RTAS I need to be mindful of the Studio's host application's compatability
I understand Cubase and ProTools are listed.

I also want to be able to use VST plug-ins in their native host program as well.

Video Editing
A friend is using Pinnicle for his video work and I am intrigued and I think I would like pursue this capability as well.
He advises getting a BIG hard drive with lots of space on it as video editing files are huge.

Graphics Editing: I like Photoshop and swear by it, nough said.

3D Rendering : Major System hog. Whether it be gaming or drafting.

The computer is going to have to be as silent as possible so cooling noise is to be considered.
I've thought about Solid State Hard Drive for the main Drive and a fast back up drive to save my work on.
Additional drives would be used for near term archiving while external drives would be used for long term.

Anyway,
I was wondering if there was anyone with some puter building experience, who had some hardware recommendations for this new desktop. Would like for it to last at least ten years.
(I like Magix Music Studio 2005 deluxe and Samplitude also appeals to me but I "think" that neither supports
RTAS. Cubase, I think, does.)

Should I go with 32 or 64 bit?

Sorry, I'm just an old timer driving through fog.

Intel Core i7-3960X BX80619i73960X Extreme Edition Processor - Six Core, 15MB L3 Cache, 1.5MB L2 Cache, 3.30 GHz (3.90 GHz Max Turbo), Socket R (LGA2011), 130W, No Fan, Unlocked, Retail at TigerDirect.com

I've been eyeing that up for a dream build that i'm a realllyy reallly long way from even being able to think about building.

It's pricey. But using that and other top notch stuff would still probably end up cheaper than a Mac.

For what you are looking to do with one computer, I would just spend as much as possible on the best you can buy. Even then, I'm not sure one single computer will keep up. Tho I am talking out my ass.... :D

For what you are looking to do with one computer, I would just spend as much as possible on the best you can buy. Even then, I'm not sure one single computer will keep up. Tho I am talking out my ass.... :D

me or the OP???:D

One day I'll probably go total overkill on a build.
Dual CPUs, triple digit RAM, centuries worth of drive space

:laughings:

Oh for crying out loud.
You need a fast system to run a bare bones Windows install.
It seems the wizards of Microsofty think I need everything running in the background.
Bloated Broad!
:cursing:

What part of simple don't I understand?????
:facepalm:

Maybe I should come back another time.

I think that "extreme quiet" and "extreme performance" might be challenging to pull together.

Your main drawback with SSD would be cost for higher capacity drives (well, at least where I live). You could look at a RAID set-up of enterprise-grade 10000 rpm SATA III drives, but your noise and heat start adding up. Maybe more so in a rack environment.

I also wonder if you might not be better splitting into 2 computers? One fairly capable but more conservative PC for audio or video capture, the other with higher performance cpu, gpu and plenty of RAM for the processing.

For processors, look at the Intel i7 range and decide your budget. RAM is cheap, so get lots. I have had good experiences with Asus and Gigabyte motherboards. Video card technology has greatly increased in the last 10years. A very cheap nVidia or ATI will provide all the grunt needed for 2D and excellent HD video playback. For 3D, pick your price point.

Helpful? Maybe not?

Paul

Why dont you get one of those new Dell Alienware x51. It is actually very cheap. The best edition comes with intel core i7 3.4, 8Gb RAM, 1Tb and a nive NVIDIA graphic card

I think for most multimedia aplications this computer is all you need.

Why dont you get one of those new Dell Alienware x51. It is actually very cheap. The best edition comes with intel core i7 3.4, 8Gb RAM, 1Tb and a nive NVIDIA graphic card

I think for most multimedia aplications this computer is all you need.

My first computer was dell. It was a bloated bastard full of dell nonsense. crashing right and left, so
I returned it and built my own.... that was 13 years ago. That's the computer I am writing on right now.
I learned that the DIY route, while tedious in component choices, is extremely reliable and can cost less, yet be full of upgrades options.
Nevertheless, thank you for your suggestion, I can investigate what they are using and compare with software requirements.
Whatever the software requirements, at least double it. That's the rule of thumb I've used.
A new system simply opens the door to the advancements to date with some wiggle room for future software.
It's likely to be Windows 7 anyway.

My first computer was dell. It was a bloated bastard full of dell nonsense. crashing right and left, so
I returned it and built my own.... that was 13 years ago. That's the computer I am writing on right now.
I learned that the DIY route, while tedious in component choices, is extremely reliable and can cost less, yet be full of upgrades options.
Nevertheless, thank you for your suggestion, I can investigate what they are using and compare with software requirements.
Whatever the software requirements, at least double it. That's the rule of thumb I've used.
A new system simply opens the door to the advancements to date with some wiggle room for future software.
It's likely to be Windows 7 anyway.

Surely you mean HARDWARE. How exactly would you double your software requirements? =P Definitely don't go prebuilt for something high end though. Alienware are a bunch of overpriced rubbish. They may look pretty, but you could get the same stuff for at least half the price.

I can recommend:

i7 processors (I have the 2600K, which has 4 cores/8 threads and can easily be over clocked, or the new 3960s have 6 cores and look pretty good for a price, or you can wait for the next gen Ivy Bridge).

Gigabyte motherboards, the Z68s suit the 2600K, allowing overclocking and use of the onchip graphics. You'd need a different chipset for the 3960s, I think.

Seasonic power supplies - mine is the X560 which is silent, despite the fan, and ridiculously stable.

Scythe CPU coolers - I've got the Mugen 3, which is silent and performs brilliantly.

SSDs are super fast and silent. I currently don't have any HDDs in my machine, they're still too expensive since the floods in Thailand. So, I run everything off the SSD, including recording to it, and can archive to my NAS via cat-6 cable and a gigabit network (this is where all my media is stored as well).

16gb of 1600 MHz RAM, only £80 nowadays! You need to over clock the bus in the BIOS to utilise its full speed potential.

Fractal R3 case - reasonably priced, well sound proofed and quite stylish cases. With adjustable speed fans, can keep the whole machine silent while cool, even with over clocking (this depends on a good CPU cooler, though).

Back