New BR-1180

What happened to the br8

I just checked the boss site and noticed that the only digital recorders that were listed were the br532 and the new br1130. The br8 seems to have disappeared. Any rumors on whether it is being discontinued???

I don't know, I couldn't attend NAMM this year because we're working on our next CD. When my brother gets back I'll ask him, Roland told me not to announce anything until they did.

I looked at the info on this thing and it seems much cool. it makes me wish I hadn't bought my BR-8. Oh well. maybe i'll just sell it to get this newfangled device :) .

Here are the specs. copied from some Roland/Boss Lit:

l Simultaneous Play Back Track 8-track + Stereo Track 9/10 with each 8 V-Track = 80-track

l Simultaneous Recording Track 2-Track

l Sampling Frequency 44.1kHz(Fixed)

l Recording mode
Uncompressed Linear 16-bit, R-DAC MT1 (QUALITY), R-DAC MT2 (STANDARD), R-DAC LV1 (LIVE), R-DAC LV2 (LONG) l Hard Disk 20GB (Built in) l Recording Time with 20GB HDD Uncompressed: Approx. 60 hours, MT1: Approx. 120 hours, MT2: Approx. 160 hours, LV1: Approx. 190 hours, LV2: Approx. 240 hours

l CD-R/RW Drive CD-R/RW Drive slot is built in

l Effects Insert Effects: 13 algorithms, Loop Effects: EQ/Reverb/Chorus/Delay/Doubling, Mastering Effects: 3-Band Compressor, COSM Speaker Modeling, Mic Modeling (Reference model is the AKG C3000B)

l PCM Rhythm Guide Resolution: 96 TPQN, Max. Voicepolyphony: 5-voice

l Patterns Preset: 50, User: 50 (user-programable and SMF-importable)

l Display Graphic LCD: 128-dot x 64-dot

l Input GUITAR/BASS Jack: 1/4 inch Phone, MIC 1 Jack: XLR x 1(with Phantom), 1/4 inch Phone, MIC 2 Jack: XLR x 1(with Phantom), 1/4 inch Phone, LINE IN Jack: RCA Pin x 2, Exp Pedal Jack: 1/4 inch Phone x 1, Foot SW Jack: 1/4 inch Phone x 1, MIDI IN Jack: DIN 5pin x 1

l Output LINE OUT Jack: RCA Pin x 2, Phones Jack: 1/4 Stereo Phone x 1, Digital Out Jack: S/PDIF (Optical) x 1, MIDI OUT Jack: DIN 5pin x 1

l Power Supply AC adaptor (PSB-3U)

I hope this helps.

David Breckheimer
davidbreck@msn.com
djbreck.iuma.com

And a little more info:

BOSS has introduced the BR-1180/1180CD Digital Recording Studio. This digital studio takes BOSS' "manual, schmanual" approach to the next level, offering 10 playback tracks, 80 Virtual Tracks, a stereo Master track and a built-in Rhythm track that will have users making music right out of the box. For data backup and CD creation, this recorder offers a handy internal CD-RW drive that can be purchased preinstalled (BR-1180CD model) or purchased optionally (BR-1180).

The BR-1180 has 10 standard playback tracks and includes a new stereo Master track that makes it easier than ever to bounce and mix down. Since each track can play back one of eight Virtual Tracks, every song can contain a massive 80 tracks for trying different arrangements, solos and ideas. The 20GB internal hard drive provides lots of linear (un-compressed) recording time. And by putting a .WAV CD into the internal CD-RW drive, BR-1180CD owners can easily import high quality drum loops or other parts. Thankfully, the BR-1180's icon-based display makes it all a snap to use.

The BR-1180 is as portable as it is potent, offering everything guitarists and other songwriters need--including 2 XLR mic inputs with phantom power, Line inputs and a dedicated Guitar input. Everything from reverb to COSM Guitar Amp Modeling and vocal processing is available onboard; the BR-1180 even sets up the right type of effect routing for the selected input jack. A built-in chromatic tuner helps guitarists get in tune before recording. And to help users make their CDs sound professional, there are powerful CD Mastering Tools available, too.

The BR-1180's new stereo PCM-based Rhythm track offers lots of preset patterns, letting users add drums to a song without sacrificing a recording or playback track. The Rhythm track plays its own collection of great-sounding onboard drum samples. New patterns can be loaded from Standard MIDI Files, or users can even load .WAV drum loops right into the Rhythm track.

When it's time to create an audio CD or back up precious recordings, BR-1180CD users can take advantage of the built-in CD-RW drive. A high-speed internal CD-RW is also available as an optional upgrade kit, so BR-1180 owners can upgrade to a BR-1180CD at any time. The drive can be user-installed in minutes.
For more information, visit their web site at www.bossus.com

I hope this helps.

David Breckheimer

the 1180 doesn't sound like it's much better than the original br8, except for storage space and an optional CD burner. In either case, I can store files to CD using the conversion program, and Master to CD using the digital optical out to my stand alone burner. What would really turn me on is more inputs (4 or even 6) for multitracking live drums or making scratch tracks for bands to overdub.

I disagree, the BR-1180 is a vast improvement over the BR-8. The BR-8 and the BR-1180 were designed for 'home' or 'bedroom' recording, Roland/Boss always stated that fact. The other Roland VS series are designed for band recording.

And, the BR-1180 has 'true' CD mastering software. I've never used the wav conversion software because I felt that Boss did a great job with the BR-8's mixing design.

Back