New Beatles track

I'm sure it's a nice song. To be honest, I have zero interest in ever hearing it.

I am a HUGE Beatles fan. I mean, I have about 20 Beatles posters up on my studio walls, and no other band. So, this is the opposite of Beatles hate. I love them more than any other band

But this is NOT the Beatles to me. This whole "Yoko found a tape of John and we played over it" does not make it a Beatles song.

I'm pretty sure my opinion is very unpopular among Beatles fans, but I'm sorry. I don't consider this song, "Free As a Bird", or "True Love" to be part of Beatles canon. Then again, I'm not interested in "Re-mixes", "Re-masters" or anything else. I want to hear the Beatles the way everyone else heard them at the time they ruled the world. Anything else is just un-interesting to me.

Not trying to be a negative party pooper. Just giving a different view on all this. I know I'm in the minority. It's all good. :)

I hear you. I'm already seeing some pretty harsh critiques. I'm pretty easy to please and not a purist.
Thanx for not taking what I said the wrong way. I've never considered myself a purist, but I guess this is a purist attitude I'm taking. That's not really my motivation. I really just don't see this as a "Beatles" song.

Also, how did George play on this? He died over 20 years ago. In the video below, Paul says they used the slide guitar part that George played when they originally started working on this song, before they abandoned it. But then after, Paul says they tried to "mimic" George's playing. So, I'm not sure if Goerge is even on this. Though I think he has to be if they have the nerve to call this a Beatles tune.

I’m not a fan of cobbled together bits of an artists work just to make money.

If I weren’t around anymore, and if my music was of any importance (fat chance), I’d be severely pissed if the music in my trash heap of abandoned songs was dug up and turned into a ‘new’ song.

I dare say that would be an act worthy of a good 50 years of haunting

I think they have George's guitar from when they were working on this song in 1995 together, but also added another guitar solo / slide guitar in George's style as well. I'm not a Beatles fan (Blasphemy, I know! I like Rocky Raccoon, I don't dislike them, just not actively a fan), but I do think this song is pretty cool. The process of finally getting this song "finished" is pretty cool. The good news for Beatles fans that don't care, or don't like this... they don't have to listen to it! :)

I'm pretty sure my opinion is very unpopular among Beatles fans
Not this one. I agree even more than you !
I don't consider this song, "Free As a Bird", or "True Love" to be part of Beatles canon
I wish they were part of the Beatles canon. Then I could light the fuse and blast those horrors to the outermost edge of Venezuela ! o_O
I heard one of them on the telly back in 1995 and the other one I heard the next year, only because I bought the 2nd anthology out of curiosity.
Then again, I'm not interested in "Re-mixes", "Re-masters" or anything else
I refuse to even listen to "Now and Then."
Over the last few years, there's been so much fanfare about Giles Martin's remixes "with new technology" of Revolver, Pepper, the White Album and Abbey Road.
I, the dog, could not be less interested.
I remember back in 2000-ish when the new "Yellow Submarine" came out. There was all this noise about how they'd gone back to the original tapes that existed before they had been sub-mixed to a new tape and they were able to preserve the instruments on their own tracks, blah, blah, blah. I was quite interested to hear what the songs that I'd been loving since '76 sounded like with all this new tech.
And I got my answer.
Horseshit.
But at least you could grow plants and veg in horseshit !
"It's all too much" in particular filled me with an ire and rage that could've heated our flat for months ! :ROFLMAO: It was too much, floomy bass, airy percussion, all the vitality taken out of that great song. It's just as well the Beatles didn't have 16-track in '67-'68 !!
My paradoxical stance is that I don't really care/mind if people want to update the sounds they grew up loving and subsume them into modern tech.
But I don't. I've said this at times before, that when a song has insinuated itself into my consciousness for 4o+ years, I don't want to hear a new-fangled spin on it.
I know I'm in the minority
It's been a lonely place to be for many decades for me. But I actually like it. It means you can get involved in every conversation if you want.
I'd have to say I'm in the minority on most things that I think ! It's the price to pay for being able to grasp paradox and nuance.
I'm sure it's a nice song
I'm never going to know !
This whole "Yoko found a tape of John and we played over it" does not make it a Beatles song.
Totally. If John had written it back in '68,'69, with the intention of the Beatles recording it, then that might sway me just a little.
But I still wouldn't want to listen to it.
The Beatles died in 1970. John left finally in '69, but there was a recording session for "I Me Mine" in early '70 with the other 3. As John said, it was only a pop group. The world doesn't have to end because the Beatles split up. I love the band's music, story and contribution to popular music. In 47 years, I haven't gotten bored of their music yet. I enjoy some of the books and interviews by band members and members of their entourage, plus the myriad of documentaries. I like many books, documentaries and interviews by people that weren't part of it all, but who have had valuable and valid insights, like Robert Rodriguez or Ray Newman who have written outstanding and seminal books on the "Revolver" album or Joe Godden who wrote a superb book, "Riding so high" on the Band and drugs.
But man, let sleeping dogs lie !

If I weren’t around anymore, and if my music was of any importance (fat chance), I’d be severely pissed if the music in my trash heap of abandoned songs was dug up and turned into a ‘new’ song.
Oh man, I can't even stand anything I did 6 months ago, let alone someone digging up recordings from years ago. Hell no! :eek:

I think they have George's guitar from when they were working on this song in 1995 together, but also added another guitar solo / slide guitar in George's style as well.
Oh ok. That makes sense. Thanx for clarifying.
The good news for Beatles fans that don't care, or don't like this... they don't have to listen to it! :)
Absolutely, which is why I kept qualifying my post with "I know I'm in the minority", etc...I was paranoid of coming off as some kind of "Beatles snob" who knows more than everyone else. :)

Grim, I'm not going to quote the parts of your post I agree with or found hilarious, because I love the whole post and agree with you on everything...especially the "cannon" remark. LOL! :D :D :D

I bet it's more like a 50-50 split than a minority opinion, but again... it's not something to get "upset" about, because you can just ignore it if you choose to, and the other 50% can be happy about it, as apparently 50% of the Beatles are happy enough to release it. ;)

I bet it's more like a 50-50 split than a minority opinion, but again... it's not something to get "upset" about, because you can just ignore it if you choose to, and the other 50% can be happy about it, as apparently 50% of the Beatles are happy enough to release it. ;)
Yeah, nobody's getting upset.. We're just shooting the shit and sharing opinions. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: RFR
I know. I'm not really talking about anyone "upset" here... however, there are other threads about this elsewhere on the internet where people seem genuinely upset though, and just wanted to put it out there that if anyone was "upset" it's not really worth getting "upset" about.

I know. I'm not really talking about anyone "upset" here... however, there are other threads about this elsewhere on the internet where people seem genuinely upset though, and just wanted to put it out there that if anyone was "upset" it's not really worth getting "upset" about.
Yeah, people are addicted to arguing on the internet, unfortunately. For some reason, people's egos allow them to believe that they NEED to convince themselves that they just "won" an argument against a complete fucking stranger. Social media was supposed to bring people together. It has done the exact opposite. Anonymity brings out the worst in mother fuckers.

Back