New at this no idea what im doing :(

lordbodom

I just started messing around with recording a few days ago. Very new, no idea what im doing. I play metal and am trying to record some of my songs. I quickly put together a quick 30 secondish demo of how my sound is. I dont really like what im hearing and would really appreciate comments and tips. Anything from tone to mixing to anything.

Thanks in advance.

I'm not a thrash metal fan (I've probably embarresed myself there by picking the wrong genre, apologies if I have ( I am getting on a bit)). The guitars I like because it reminds me of early sabbath. For me the bass is not defined enough. For me I like to give a bit of boost around 90hz and then something around the top end between about 2-6khz to give it a bit of crunch. This seems to work with my set up (but I've heard a lot guys on here who sound a lot better than me). You probably need a heavier snare sound with a shortish reverb to thicken it up and give it some space. Cymbals also seemed a bit splashy and distant.

It might be a good idea to let us know what setup you're using, you are bound to get asked that and it will give a better idea of what you can do. Hope this helps, but like I say, there are others here who can give you better advice I'm sure.

if you've only just started out it's a pretty good start. Keep it up.

Thanks for the tip! I re-recorded again with differnt effects and think it sounds better. Comments are welcome!

Won't comment on the drum programming because I've never really "got" thrash metal drums.

The guitars seemed a little overdriven and are missing some of the higher end. They seem to roll off above 5K or so.

The bass seems to have a boomy low end. I'm guessing somewhere between 60-100hz.

It's definitely an improvement. Picking up on Triple M's comment regarding the guitars (I'm not a thrash expert) but I understand they often layer guitars with low end and then guitars with more high end over the top and often a layer with a cleaner sound.

I defer this to the metal heads because I'm not very familiar with metal. I think you need less bass and more drums. But once you add vocals and bass it will be completely new mixing work.... Darn good for a start. Nice playing! :D:D:D:D

Thanks for the comment guys! I still have a lot to work on. I recorded the whole song.

Since i am using vst's i figure i have it recorded and i can mess around with effects and all if needed. Since im really new at this, i really have no idea what the roll off at 5k or that stuff means:(.

Since im really new at this, i really have no idea what the roll off at 5k or that stuff means:(.

Sorry about that. It just means that it didn't sound like there was a lot of sound above 5kHz or so. Everything seemed below 5K. So if you were to graph the frequency spectrum of the guitar, the graph would "roll off" above 5K.

Sorry about that. It just means that it didn't sound like there was a lot of sound above 5kHz or so. Everything seemed below 5K. So if you were to graph the frequency spectrum of the guitar, the graph would "roll off" above 5K.

Got it. Thanks for the clarification! Is it normal for guitars to be above 5k as well? i watched some videos and just basically followed the instructions they gave to get this sound. is 5k the bassy end or the treble end?

Got it. Thanks for the clarification! Is it normal for guitars to be above 5k as well? i watched some videos and just basically followed the instructions they gave to get this sound. is 5k the bassy end or the treble end?

Don't get too focused on the numbers. Use them as a guide but primarily use your ears to get the sound that you want. Compare your guitar sound to the sound of some of your favorite professional recordings. Listen very carefully and critically and try to notice the differences between your sound and theirs. Then start learning the tools - tools for both recording and mixing (don't focus just on mixing) - and how you can use those tools to get the sound you want.

BTW - 5K is sort of the higher end for an electric guitar.

Back