new at recording

morty77

I am planning to get the mackie dfx 12 mixer, a labtop and a external soundcard
Since Im on a tight budget, what do I need as far as a labtop and sound card
to do decent recordings?
most of my music will be instrumental whereby I own 5 keyboards and 2 sound modules, no vocals
but do want to do some live events in the future so need the mixer for that as well.
Im totally new at this recording stuff and a little confused with all this new technology
at the present time I have a dell p4 computer with sound blaster platinum card installed and a tapco12 channel mixer cubase le and se3
any advice is appreciative
morty77

morty77

well with what you have you could be recording now.... although the soundblather is questionable IMO... so if you go to a laptop you'll now need to ad an external interface.... and while the mackie is a bit better than the tapco whether or not it's that much better is suspect... perhaps if you kept the tapco it would allow you to check in to a set of monitors????

what would you suggest for a labtop etc

so I take it your not fond of mackie what would you suggest?
at the present time I have a pair or m-audio bx8a monitors
which Im quite satisfied with but would like a better mixer, sound card and labtop
I am recording at the present but am getting negative opinions about the sound card i have now
morty77

not a matter of fondness... just that most of the mackie dtuff is made for live sound where the primary concern is roadworthyness not sonics... FWIW... i'm using tascam interface at present and seems to work real well... some like the Maudio but it's geared towards profools... (digi owns them)

Back